The Student Room Group

Got rejected from Manchester with predictions A*AA

I just got rejected from Manchester and I have no idea why...
I'm an international student who came to do my A-Levels since last year. I did reasonably well... Got AAAB last year for my AS's, and my predictions were A*AA.
The entry requirements of Manchester are actually AAB so I think I'm way better than this...
Could it be my GCSE results?? I did GCSE Maths and physics at a language school where I didn't receive ANY GCSE LESSON! I was forced to take the two exams and I had no idea what I had done until I got my GSCE results: Maths A and Physics D
My referee said I had to submit every result I had so I just put my A and D in the UCAS form... I don't think it was fair anyway, 'cause trust me, I did not have any GCSE lesson during the half a year language course.
I got really frustrated 'cause Manchester was my choice with the lowest entry requirements and even the lowest one has given me rejection
I'm gonna call them tmr to ask what the problem was... Don't think they'll change their minds anyway... Will they???
Really annoyed, feeling like a failure :frown:
I applied to Cambridge, UCL, Bath, St. Andrews and Manchester - just in case any one wants to know

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yukiz47
I'm an international student who came to do my A-Levels since last year. I did reasonably well... Got AAAB last year for my AS's, and my predictions were A*AA.
The entry requirements of Manchester are actually AAB so I think I'm way better than this...
Could it be my GCSE results?? I did GCSE Maths and physics at a language school where I didn't receive ANY GCSE LESSON! I was forced to take the two exams and I had no idea what I had done until I got my GSCE results: Maths A and Physics D
My referee said I had to submit every result I had so I just put my A and D in the UCAS form... I don't think it was fair anyway, 'cause trust me, I did not have any GCSE lesson during the half a year language course.
I got really frustrated 'cause Manchester was my choice with the lowest entry requirements and even the lowest one has given me rejection
I'm gonna call them tmr to ask what the problem was... Don't think they'll change their minds anyway... Will they???
I applied to Cambridge, UCL, Bath, St. Andrews and Manchester - just in case any one wants to know

Unlucky. Move on with your life, no point dwelling on it. You'll get an offer from one of the others.
Original post by yukiz47

British universities have a limit on how many international students they can accept. What has likely happened is that your grades are fine but they have already filled up their quota of international students and that is why you got rejected. Bad luck, I guess. Just apply next year and you should be fine.
Ouch...what was the course? Manchester has a better rep than Bath so you might still get in. It also has a better rep than st Andrews but St Andrew just over-exaggerate every results (just like Imperial)
Reply 4
Original post by yukiz47

What grade did you get in your english GCSE?
Reply 5
Original post by hanley9
What grade did you get in your english GCSE?

I didn't do GCSE English and we have IELTS for English... It's an international English test and I got 7 overall - which is good enough, I suppose :frown:
Reply 6
Thanks for replying :smile:
I haven't got anything from the other unis yet, so I'm really worried now as others have even higher requirements!
Reply 7
Original post by Pungolini
Ouch...what was the course? Manchester has a better rep than Bath so you might still get in. It also has a better rep than st Andrews but St Andrew just over-exaggerate every results (just like Imperial)

I'm applying for Psychology! Bath is really good at Psych, I suppose, so I'm worrying about my other choices now
Reply 8
Original post by zetamcfc
Unlucky. Move on with your life, no point dwelling on it. You'll get an offer from one of the others.

Thanksss...
Just need some time to adjust I guess
Not strong enough yet lol
Original post by yukiz47
Thanks for replying :smile:
I haven't got anything from the other unis yet, so I'm really worried now as others have even higher requirements!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet either but if you got below a C in English GCSE or equivalent that would cause you problems in admission aswell. Your English seems okay to me but you know what British uni's are like. *Rolls eyes*
It's either this or the international quota that's filled.
Can't possibly due to physics if you're applying to psychology
Reply 11
Thanks for this <3
Yeah we actually have an international English test called IELTS and I seemed to get a good result - not good enough for Cambridge yet, but I met other uni's requirements for English already...
So maybe it's just a matter of places for international students?
Reply 12
Original post by Pungolini
It's either this or the international quota that's filled.
Can't possibly due to physics if you're applying to psychology

Okies...
Thanks! I'll call them, just in case, but if that's something I can't possibly change I'll just live with it lol
Original post by yukiz47
Thanks for this <3
Yeah we actually have an international English test called IELTS and I seemed to get a good result - not good enough for Cambridge yet, but I met other uni's requirements for English already...
So maybe it's just a matter of places for international students?

Yeah, what's has probably happened is that their places for internationals have filled up. It really sucks but there's nothing you can do about it now, really. Just apply earlier next year, I suppose. If you still aren't sure by all means go and ring them up and ask because we may be wrong.
Original post by yukiz47

Does seem a bit harsh to be honest with you, sorry to hear that. Not sure how it is for international students but I'm assuming it's a lot more tougher/competitive. Give them a call tomorrow and they should be able to give you a reasonable explanation on why they made their decision though.

I'm also not sure on their rejection policy but you could try and explain that you really want to go to Manchester (if this is what you want) and if they'd be able to reconsider you if you display your enthusiasm for the course? Although I wouldn't be too hopeful about it.
Reply 15
Original post by AliRizzo
Does seem a bit harsh to be honest with you, sorry to hear that. Not sure how it is for international students but I'm assuming it's a lot more tougher/competitive. Give them a call tomorrow and they should be able to give you a reasonable explanation on why they made their decision though.

I'm also not sure on their rejection policy but you could try and explain that you really want to go to Manchester (if this is what you want) and if they'd be able to reconsider you if you display your enthusiasm for the course? Although I wouldn't be too hopeful about it.

Thanks for replying! :smile:
Yeah, I will call them to at least get an explanation. First response was a rejection - doesn't seem very positive to me. I've already started to worry about other choices - UCL is actually the one I really really want to go to, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.
Crap :s-smilie:
Original post by Imperion
Crap :s-smilie:

What makes you say that? All other factors have been accounted for.
Eh, I think that came out wrong. I personally didn't know that and I'd be applying as an international so it was a 'crap' as in 'I'm kinda screwed'. :tongue:
Original post by Imperion
Eh, I think that came out wrong. I personally didn't know that and I'd be applying as an international so it was a 'crap' as in 'I'm kinda screwed'. :tongue:

You are not british? Where are you from? Also, you, the Archbishop of Banterbury?

Quick Reply

Latest