The Student Room Group

Someone told me I look "like a child"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Anonynmous
It's my tactic to lure in the girlies

Chicken Madness, take notes

??

Headgames is an automatic disqualification in my world.
Original post by Maggie_O
??

Headgames is an automatic disqualification in my world.

My game is on fire :rofl:

Spoiler

Reply 42
Anyway going now, I imagine this thread will be irrelevant when I wake so thanks guys x
Omg yes I am!! I am doing Criminal Law and Public Bureaucracy xD

The bastard really grating on me is my professor for both those courses, same guy. Hate him, he's so rude to me. He speaks to everyone in class and ignores me so I think he feels I'm out place but I wish he wouldn't be passive aggressive. I feel like just asking him "what's the issue?" He told me to meet him after class once and I hate him too much to.

Looool i knew it. Ye my sister did law. And one of my close friends does law. Theres a certain type of person that goes into that course that you find in abundunce and theyre just uptight judgy snooty ***** that look down on other people that dont meet their criteria of 'cool' Or whatever haha.

You dress differently. People in law usually where boring clothes so thats why i think lol. Defo probably thinks you dont belong there.

Like i go to lectures in rollerblades and pjamas and my lecturers just laugh cus theyre cool and majority of people in this industry are chill.
Original post by Anonynmous
It's my tactic to lure in the girlies

Chicken Madness, take notes

I already do fine irl tbh lel
Ok so I came from a lecture today and I've been going since term started :colonhash:

This woman leaves the class with me after it's done, and she says while holding the door open: "There you go my darling."

I smile as I always do which is like this :smile: ...lol

She then asks me, "Are you in this class?"

I'm like :erm: Then I say, "yes," almost in exasperation.

She says, "Oh! :redface: I thought you were someone's child, you look like a child."

I go =| but I feel angry so I just keep walking lol

She says, "it's a compliment, no?" and laughs.

:confused:

How on earth is telling a woman in her 20s she "looks like a child?"

It's weird to me because as a teen, I was told I look older. Now I look like a child? :frown:

And when I was walking into a corner shop once pushing a shopping trolley (lol), the door guy says "whoa don't run me over!" And I giggle. And then he says something I don't remember but then says, "You look 12."

:frown:

By the way I'm 5'4 and 9 stone, and kinda curvy, kinda athletic physique. I don't wear makeup or show skin. I wear my hair in a big updo. I carry a purse.

I mean how can I look "older?" :frown:

I'm sorry to hear that Maggie_O. :hugs: <3 I haven't ever met anyone who finds this sort of thingy annoying before tbh, bc just like your teacher mentioned above..I actually think the majority view it as a compliment..which is semi-strange. :s-smilie: I understand exactly why it may be really irritating since you're an adult + I dont think she should be saying stuff like that. Um, yes you should change your hairstyle as others have suggested. I think thatd make a difference - However, I don't know if you should wear make up just to appear older bc I don't know if it'd work either. Unless you'd be perfectly comfortable wearing it on a daily basis. What type are you planning to wear?

I'm sorry, that was a terrible attempt. :getmecoat: My advice is um that you should probably listen to ChickenMadness, he seems to know exactly what he's talking about >.< but I really hope you manage to solve the problem. If you ever need to talk about it further then I'll always be here for you. <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyway going now, I imagine this thread will be irrelevant when I wake so thanks guys x

Oh.

..I was too late. >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anon_98
Oh.

..I was too late. >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile

Smh
Reply 48
Original post by Starvation13
Well that escalated quickly :K:. I was laughing at the fact that I'm a boy and I won't have any beauty tips for you...

And how does the word 'sicko' come into this....

Lol I'm on the train and I can't stop laughing. Got this old woman staring at me. Hahaha damn I can't stop laughing don't know why.
Ignore her. I get this constantly and I'm 25 and working! I don't take it as a compliment anymore since I find it belittling these days - people treat you differently assuming you're on work experience or something so you have to be very assertive. I haven't changed my appearance - there's little I can do tbh, I already wear make-up. Just be yourself but with a side portion of bitch and people should eventually get the message.
Don't worry.

I'm 22. I had a bellend barista in Starbucks ask me "celebrating your GCSEs today?", earlier this summer.

I was like, I'm entering my final year of uni.... He just said 'oh wow! I thought you were 16 or something!?'.

I felt like asking whether he makes a habit of insulting his customers. Have a bit of tact ffs.
Reply 51
I've been through this too before too and it does get you annoyed were literally the same height and weight as you. But then you try to look older but people still think your younger for example this happened:I sat down as I do athletics and run for like 2 hours and it was the end of the session. These boys round about 18-20 were talking they were loud and they couldn't see me as they were tall so I was like a ghost there. I was waiting to get picked up as it was cold outside and they were talking,swearing,laughing having normal chat. Then a middle aged lady goes and tells them to shut up as there was a child in the room and they were making out that I was a little kid and at the time I was really annoyed and the fact that the guys and the lady stared at me too was really embarrassing! :frown:
Reply 52
Ok so I came from a lecture today and I've been going since term started :colonhash:

This woman leaves the class with me after it's done, and she says while holding the door open: "There you go my darling."

She says, "Oh! :redface: I thought you were someone's child, you look like a child."

It's weird to me because as a teen, I was told I look older. Now I look like a child? :frown:

And when I was walking into a corner shop once pushing a shopping trolley (lol), the door guy says "whoa don't run me over!" And I giggle. And then he says something I don't remember but then says, "You look 12."

By the way I'm 5'4 and 9 stone, and kinda curvy, kinda athletic physique. I don't wear makeup or show skin. I wear my hair in a big updo. I carry a purse.

Look at it this way, when you're 40, you'll probably still look 20. Just means you look good for your age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah I feel you x
My mum gets taken for a student even though she's in her forties lol
I get that A LOT and I don't wear make up, so it's probably that. Or you just have a baby face.

Pull off a first class in your university course and you'll definitely look much older with all those wrinkles.
Original post by jedanselemyia
Ah I feel you x
My mum gets taken for a student even though she's in her forties lol
And she's probably very happy about.

But the feeling is unlikely the same for you.
Reply 57
I get that a lot too. I have the same weight, figure and height as you, and the youngest I've got is 15 - I'm almost 20 :frown:

But since there's nothing you can do about your appearance, just embrace it! Once you're older, you'll be happy you still look youthful.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
And she's probably very happy about.

But the feeling is unlikely the same for you.

She wasn't very happy when they arrested her at the airport because of it :biggrin:

It has never caused me any problems!
Original post by jedanselemyia
She wasn't very happy when they arrested her at the airport because of it :biggrin:

It has never caused me any problems!
You don't find it insulting when people think you're her younger sister? You're on the path to sainthood then.

Quick Reply

Latest