The Student Room Group

FP3 Rectangular approximation to series

So I have to find the upper and lowers bounds for the sum of sinr where r is in degrees between 1 and 89, leaving the bounds to 4.s.f
image.jpg
I did this but evidently that is incorrect ...so how do I do this?
Reply 1
Original post by Mathematicus65
So I have to find the upper and lowers bounds for the sum of sinr where r is in degrees between 1 and 89, leaving the bounds to 4.s.f
image.jpg
I did this but evidently that is incorrect ...so how do I do this?

firstly draw a picture
secondly do the integration in radians
Original post by TeeEm
firstly draw a picture
secondly do the integration in radians

I've sketched it, and evidently sinx is an increasing function between x =1 degree and x =89 degree.

And I integrated in radians also and still got the incorrect answer, but the question says that x is specifically to be in degrees?
you seem to have changed the limits from "1 to 89" to "0 to 89" near the start

And I integrated in radians also and still got the incorrect answer, but the question says that x is specifically to be in degrees?

sinx  dx=cosx+c\int \sin x \; dx= - \cos x +c is only true if you work in radians.

So, if x is in degrees, you have to convert it to radians? What's your multiplying factor?
(edited 8 years ago)
Mathematcius65
Note that your conversion to radians needs to happen inside the integral, not by changing the limits. The limits need to match the limits for the sum, so they are actually correct as they stand.
Original post by DFranklin
Note that your conversion to radians needs to happen inside the integral, not by changing the limits. The limits need to match the limits for the sum, so they are actually correct as they stand.

How do you mean inside?
How do you mean inside?
The correct integral is

\int_0^{89} \sin(x^o) \,dx

That is, the issue is that in normal calculus, sin x means the sin of x measured in radians. But here x is measured in degrees. So you need to scale x from radians to degrees.

K
(Note this is a bit vague because I don't want to just give you the answer).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest