The Student Room Group

I can prove the calendar system is broke

The current system is 365 days, 52 weeks, 12 months etc.

It should be 365 days, 52 weeks and 13 months.

The current system is missing a month and the maths proves it.

365 days/13 months = 28 days per month

28 days = 4 weeks
52 weeks/13 months = 4 weeks

Each month should be 28 days/4 weeks.

In this instance you have a pretty perfect 4 week month which makes life so much easier in every aspect - work 20 days per month, 8 days off for weekends - not including holidays.

This revolutionary fix to the obviously broken calendar system will improve the economy and peoples lives.

Its incredible to think they did not notice a month was missing from the calendar system.
Reply 1
Right.
Original post by Mr JB

28 days = 4 weeks

In this instance you have a pretty perfect 4 week month which makes life so much easier in every aspect - work 20 days per month, 8 days off for weekends - not including holidays.

This revolutionary fix to the obviously broken calendar system will improve the economy and peoples lives.

Its incredible to think they did not notice a month was missing from the calendar system.

Except for quarters and in fact any division by month. There have been many far superior calendars devised, check Wikipedia
Reply 3
lol
Except that 13 months of 28 days = 364, so you've lost a day somewhere.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr JB

28 days = 4 weeks

Did you get this from Dave Gorman...?
13 is considered an unlucky number. I suppose that might have led to a preference for the 12 month calendar. And as someone mentioned above, 12 has more divisible numbers

12 x 1= 12
2 x 6 = 12
3 x 4 = 12

Using 12 as a is far more useful than 13. Also, the base of 12 fits with our time, where we have 12 hour days and nights, which can be easily subdivided into 60 minutes, and further subdivided into 60 seconds.

Then we have bakers who deal in dozens and the old British monetary system whereby each shilling had 12 pennies. In fact some would argue we should even change are number system from base 10 to base 12.
Good for you
13*28 = 364

Dumbass
it would be far more logical to rename the months after the star signs....

so the beginning of the year would be Aquarius ...this month would correspond to our outdated January 20th to February 18th.

the advantage would be that everyone would know their own star sign, and you could easily figure out someone else's star sign by asking them which month they were born in. simples.
Reply 10
Original post by the bear
it would be far more logical to rename the months after the star signs...
Three problems:
(a) the start /end dates for astrology periods are not on fixed dates
(b) there are multiple different sets of astrology systems - which should be used?
(c) astrology is a load of *******s.
Were you watching Dave Gorman's programme by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simes
Three problems:
(a) the start /end dates for astrology periods are not on fixed dates
(b) there are multiple different sets of astrology systems - which should be used?
(c) astrology is a load of *******s.

dude you have issues much.

a) this could be fixed by decreeing that Capricorn is always equivalent 28th December to January 19th and so on.

b) again this could fixed by decreeing that the dates used by Hello Magazine are correct.

c) astrology has a far longer pedigree than wasteman subjects like quantum theory and genetics.
Original post by Mr JB

“The calendar’s not to my taste,”
Came the cry of the poster, “I’ve based
All my thinking on fun
And neglected the sun
And Earth’s orbit around in my haste.”
Reply 14
Original post by the bear
dude you have issues much.
a) this could be fixed by decreeing that Capricorn is always equivalent 28th December to January 19th and so on.
b) again this could fixed by decreeing that the dates used by Hello Magazine are correct.
c) astrology has a far longer pedigree than wasteman subjects like quantum theory and genetics.

Hmm. Only if people pick their own birthday. And only if Xmas and the new year happen in the summer so we can have bank holidays when they are worth having.
Reply 15
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Except that 13 months of 28 days = 364, so you've lost a day somewhere.

Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
13*28 = 364

Dumbass

Learn to round.
Reply 16
Original post by donutaud15
Were you watching Dave Gorman's programme by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who is this?
Reply 17
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
13*28 = 364

Dumbass

Which is 1 day out.

The current system is a mess. Some months have 31, some have 30 and February is in a world of its own and just has special rules depending on the year it is. My system would lead to 13 months x 28 days (4 weeks) and there'd be one day left over which would be the New Year Phase Day where one year ends and the other starts. 12 hours of that 365th day would be the old year finishing things up, the final countdown and the other 12 hours would be to kick off the new year.

Thank me later. My Nobel Peace Prize awaits me. :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest