The Student Room Group

I feel depressed because of war

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ahmed766
You're not the only person who feels this way.. It's best to use it as motivation to be something great one day and make a difference to prevent this from going on in the future. Too many corrupt stupid people rule the world today.

It's impossible for the an average person to change the world. It's 2015. The media and people with selected authority choose how the world works :/
Original post by PrincessZara
I can't stop thinking about what children must be going through in their war-torn countries and witnessing their parents shot and stuff. All these graphical images/videos on Facebook and it all makes me sad :frown: They were born in the wrong place at the wrong time they don't deserve to go through all this. I can't stop over-thinking and getting all sad and stuff. I try to avoid news and facebook and sh*t but that's not helping :/

It has been happening in the world since the born of humanity and will carry on until humanity becomes extinct. You just got to accept it.
Original post by william walker
I see. So you want change. Leading to war.

Nonsense the more mixed we are the less likely we are to go to war. Don't you know what globalisation is?!

I demand Dave - actually i'm better off talking to the Chinese if i want change in the UK.
It's impossible for the an average person to change the world. It's 2015. The media and people with selected authority choose how the world works :/

No economic, demographic and geographic trends do.
War is a fact of life. Get used to it.
Original post by Gears265
It has been happening in the world since the born of humanity and will carry on until humanity becomes extinct. You just got to accept it.

no im not going to sit back and watch people die

If you seriously think world peace will ever be achieved, you need help. Humans are the most destructive species on earth. There has not gone a day when there hasn't been a war somewhere on this earth.

Do you honestly think you can end global suffering once and for all? People have been saying that for 1000s of years, and many of them were far more intellectual and wise compared to the likes of us.

He has clearly never dressed up as Batman after half a bottle of jagermeister.

POWAR.
but it's true
Young people with cancer depresses me. :frown:

You said it yourself. It's impossible for an average person, if you care about it enough then you will do what ever it takes to change. An average person doesn't care about what's going on in the world right now as long as it's not affecting e.g. Look at william. The most you can do right now is contribute to charities which you know use most of the money to help the victims of war. You don't know what the future holds.
I can't stop thinking about what children must be going through in their war-torn countries and witnessing their parents shot and stuff. All these graphical images/videos on Facebook and it all makes me sad :frown: They were born in the wrong place at the wrong time they don't deserve to go through all this. I can't stop over-thinking and getting all sad and stuff. I try to avoid news and facebook and sh*t but that's not helping :/

Tbh, I think a lot of us feel like that. I'm constantly depressed by Syria in particular and the lack of any respect for basic humanity on all sides.

I think all we can do is decide to try to do something about it, as sitting around feeling inactive about these things is a cause of depression. In this case, for example, acting about it for me has meant writing letters to my MP regularly asking what she thinks, saying I would support taking more Syrian people. I've also given donations to charities working out there and talked about it regularly with people. Being open and talking about it helps a bit I think.

We are trained to feel powerless and watch passively whilst our 'leaders' act out their militarism and we watch the bombs falling on TV. A starting point is to realise that our 'leaders' are often acting from the most cynical possible motives unless they are aggressively challenged. For example, selling arms to all sides is often a motive. Another is to serve the interests of corrupt and brutal governments like the Saudis, with whom the UK government is closely aligned.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Nonsense the more mixed we are the less likely we are to go to war. Don't you know what globalisation is?!

I demand Dave - actually i'm better off talking to the Chinese if i want change in the UK.

I'm sure it won't be long before gov.uk and the UK govt call centres are mysteriously relocated to Beijing and Mr Speaker in the H of C will state that he cannot permit someone to speak "on advice from the PRC".
Reply 33
Original post by Jonathan Crane
If it makes you feel any better, they'll all be dead soon and then none of it will matter.
It's worse than that. The surviving relatives tend to get all grumpy and they pick up arms (and legs and whatever other bits have been blown off) and go seeking revenge - that way it gets perpetual.
so cute
Reply 35
Original post by Bill_Gates
What sort of nonsense is this? we have less war now since we HAVE changed the world. Thanks to free movement of goods, people (globalisation)
Ah, yes, the international development argument. If we keep causing uprisings or carrying out airstrikes on countries until they learn to be a capitalist democracy and buy our goods, then we'll all be happy. And if they're not, we'll put boots on the ground too.

The airstrikes will continue until peace is achieved!

Well... we are actually living in the kindest, wealthiest period in human history...
Reply 37
Original post by noggins
Oh, well. Could be worse. Imagine being a child here? Growing up in the ruins, starving, hiding from H-K's...

[video="youtube;nL4ckHJ4dZA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL4ckHJ4dZA[/video]
It's getting that way now. Drones you can't see. Unmanned automatic machine gun posts with a killing range of 2 miles. And autonomous war-bots being developed.

The Campaign to Stop Killer Robots has been active for a few years but governments and the arms industry are stalling, stalling, stalling to ensure legislation cannot go through to stop them being built and implemented.

Terminator wasn't science fiction. It was a prediction.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Simes
Ah, yes, the international development argument. If we keep causing uprisings or carrying out airstrikes on countries until they learn to be a capitalist democracy and buy our goods, then we'll all be happy. And if they're not, we'll put boots on the ground too.

The airstrikes will continue until peace is achieved!

There's a famous moment from the Vietnam War where a US army officer tells a TV reporter, covering the destruction of yet another village, "in order to save this village from Communism, we had to destroy it".
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There's a famous moment from the Vietnam War where a US army officer tells a TV reporter, covering the destruction of yet another village, "in order to save this village from Communism, we had to destroy it".

2 more posts, and your post count will be 13,000. Any thoughts on this? I guess not... my bad =S

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending