The Student Room Group

A lack of extra curricular.

So I'm in the midst of writing my personal statement and it's just hit me, I have done no extra curricular activities. I have no hobbies, I haven't done any volunteering and any work experience I have had has been pretty irrelevant (working in shops).

I need help! I have no idea what to write.
Reply 1
What do you like? There must be something :biggrin: Maybe you love movies, or books, you could write about that. Outside reading about your subject maybe? Never too late to read a book and put it on your personal statement haha. Any sports/music? Have you done anything at school? Being a prefect, helping teachers out in lessons, school council? Have you done DofE, NCS, any summer schools? You have a job maybe? You could talk about anything really, it's about what you learn from it, not what you do. Volunteering always looks good though.
What are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Extra-curriculars not related to your course are not important :smile:
Reply 3
See that's what I was thinking! I'm applying for Criminology and Sociology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So long as you can show your interest for the course outside of just your A Levels you'll be fine. For example, extra reading or any independent research you've done in your own time will go in your favour.
I've included basically no extra-curriculars on my PS. So far I have an offer from King's.
Top unis (Oxbridge, LSE/UCL etc) like to see "super-curriculars", which are extra-curriculars specifically related to and contributing to your understanding of your subject. For most unis, however, while these are always a plus, as long as you can relate any skills you've gained from ordinary work experience/extra-curriculars to your subject (e.g. critical analysis, teamwork and leadership etc), then you're good to go. So, in your case, working in shops can help you to improve your leadership skills, proactive participation, interpersonal skills etc - now how do these things relate to your subject?
However, what's much more important than this is the extent to which you read around your subject, and being able to talk about this in a coherent, sophisticated way in your PS. What books/journals/case studies have you read about your subject? Have you conducted any independent research? Attended any lectures/read anything by any experts in the field? Gone to university lectures and open days?
As long as you can show passion, interest and talent for your subject, you should be fine. A good PS, from what I've heard, tends to only be about 20% focused on extra-curriculars (if that), and at least 80% focused on course-related reading and activities.
Reply 6
Original post by Jehan Prouvaire
I've included basically no extra-curriculars on my PS. So far I have an offer from King's.
Top unis (Oxbridge, LSE/UCL etc) like to see "super-curriculars", which are extra-curriculars specifically related to and contributing to your understanding of your subject. For most unis, however, while these are always a plus, as long as you can relate any skills you've gained from ordinary work experience/extra-curriculars to your subject (e.g. critical analysis, teamwork and leadership etc), then you're good to go. So, in your case, working in shops can help you to improve your leadership skills, proactive participation, interpersonal skills etc - now how do these things relate to your subject?
However, what's much more important than this is the extent to which you read around your subject, and being able to talk about this in a coherent, sophisticated way in your PS. What books/journals/case studies have you read about your subject? Have you conducted any independent research? Attended any lectures/read anything by any experts in the field? Gone to university lectures and open days?
As long as you can show passion, interest and talent for your subject, you should be fine. A good PS, from what I've heard, tends to only be about 20% focused on extra-curriculars (if that), and at least 80% focused on course-related reading and activities.

Thank you! That has actually been extremely helpful.
Original post by Arusya
What do you like? There must be something :biggrin: Maybe you love movies, or books, you could write about that. Outside reading about your subject maybe? Never too late to read a book and put it on your personal statement haha. Any sports/music? Have you done anything at school? Being a prefect, helping teachers out in lessons, school council? Have you done DofE, NCS, any summer schools? You have a job maybe? You could talk about anything really, it's about what you learn from it, not what you do. Volunteering always looks good though.
What are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I'm having the exact same issue as OP.

I've brought up 2 books already but I've only briefly talked about them as I'm not sure how in depth I show go, I don't want my PS to look like a book report.

I learn the piano and guitar on my own, I also do Aikido on the weekends. I also enjoy solving Rubik's cubes and slightly larger cubes. Should I put all this in? As another person in the thread said, extra curriculars not related to the course are not important. So... I'm not sure.

For me, I'm applying for medical genetics/ biomed.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!
Original post by eloise758
See that's what I was thinking! I'm applying for Criminology and Sociology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't wory, you don't need ECs, trust me. Your PS should just be about what you have done/read about your subject. You don't need work experience for those subjects either cause they're humanities subjects, you only need work experience for practical stuff like medicine etc. You just have to show your interest in those sujects, preferably by mentionig stuff you have read etc
Reply 9
Original post by jackien1
Hey! I'm having the exact same issue as OP.

I've brought up 2 books already but I've only briefly talked about them as I'm not sure how in depth I show go, I don't want my PS to look like a book report.

I learn the piano and guitar on my own, I also do Aikido on the weekends. I also enjoy solving Rubik's cubes and slightly larger cubes. Should I put all this in? As another person in the thread said, extra curriculars not related to the course are not important. So... I'm not sure.

For me, I'm applying for medical genetics/ biomed.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

That's more than enough, just talk about what skills you've gained to make it more relevant: it will show that you are ready for university. Dedication, personal organisation, maybe teamwork/communication, leadership - just some ideas of what unis would like to see :smile:
I wrote one sentence about NCS in mine i.e. what I did to improve a particular skill, the other extracurriculars were to do with the course I've applied for.
Surely just saying that you learnt transferable skills working in a shop would suffice...?
Reply 12
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I wrote one sentence about NCS in mine i.e. what I did to improve a particular skill, the other extracurriculars were to do with the course I've applied for.

I probably should write about mine, especially as we achieved quite a lot of things... but it was so pointless for me =_=
Original post by kkboyk
I probably should write about mine, especially as we achieved quite a lot of things... but it was so pointless for me =_=

Don't bother, but since NCS improved my teamwork and communication skills (two things which are v. important in my chosen course) then there was no harm in mentioning it. Plus, it would've been a bit awkward mentioning it in my reference.

All the things that I couldn't fit into my personal statement e.g. tutoring maths and french, being form captain etc. etc. I told my teacher to put into the reference. I basically wrote my own reference because I kept sweet talking my teacher into changing things :lol:
Reply 14
Don't bother, but since NCS improved my teamwork and communication skills (two things which are v. important in my chosen course) then there was no harm in mentioning it. Plus, it would've been a bit awkward mentioning it in my reference.

All the things that I couldn't fit into my personal statement e.g. tutoring maths and french, being form captain etc. etc. I told my teacher to put into the reference. I basically wrote my own reference because I kept sweet talking my teacher into changing things :lol:

That's an amazing idea, I;ve never thought of that :biggrin: Since I go to a Christian school we are forced to do lots of extra curricular activities.

I shall steal it :colone:
Original post by kkboyk
That's an amazing idea, I've never thought of that :biggrin: Since I go to a Christian school we are forced to do lots of extra curricular activities.

I shall steal it :colone:

:lol: teachers have a word limit too, I think it's 4,000 characters like ours. And I think schools over-emphasise the need for extra-curricular activities since some of the things you do in school are too minor to waste precious characters on.

The structure of my ps was:

1. what sparked the interest - extra curricular as a result of what sparked my interest
2. academic relevance, then moving onto extracurriculars I did as a cause of what I have done academically (don't ever EVER talk about your other subjects unless it's tightly bound to your degree in question, since your teachers cover it in the reference and UCAS advise that teacher's don't parrot what you've written in your ps)
3. x2 relevant work experience - what I learnt specifically and what they asked me to do while I was there
4. extracurricular (NCS and whatnot - don't explain how it will link to your degree though e.g. i learnt how to communicate well which will be fab for when i speak to future programmers :sick:)
5. conclusion

By extracurricular, it doesn't always have to be extra roles you pick up. It can just be things like going to lectures, certain things you've been doing (you're interested in CompSci, right?) vague, but that'll do :shh:

Ayy do what you wanna, just remember to say HOW you developed / attained those skills, don't just list it. Always say how, not what :dance:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
:lol: teachers have a word limit too, I think it's 4,000 characters like ours. And I think schools over-emphasise the need for extra-curricular activities since some of the things you do in school are too minor to waste precious characters on.

The structure of my ps was:

1. what sparked the interest - extra curricular as a result of what sparked my interest
2. academic relevance, then moving onto extracurriculars I did as a cause of what I have done academically
3. x2 relevant work experience
4. extracurricular
5. conclusion

By extracurricular, it doesn't always have to be extra roles you pick up. It can just be things like going to lectures, certain things you've been doing (you're interested in CompSci, right?) vague, but that'll do :shh:

Ayy do what you wanna, just remember to say HOW you developed / attained those skills, don't just list it. Always say how, not what :dance:

My structure is pretty weird:
1. Why this degree? What sparked my interest?
2. What interests me about the course? What skills and abilities do I have that would make me suitable for this course?
3. The things am doing at home that would benefit me (e.g. web development) and work exp.What do I want to get out of the course and university, and why?
4. Other stuff or just finish with conclusion

I'm applying for Maths (or maybe Maths with Comp Sci). I've read so many PS exampes and hated them all, as they were all so similar and lazy to explain the bit in bold =_=
Original post by kkboyk
x

Ah man, Maths is probably one of the hardest PSs you could write! :eek:

And it's probably be got to not throw anything new at them in the conclusion.

I'd send you mine but I'm so scared about what could even happen even though I've already submitted it and gotten an offer :lol: @PQ would anything happen? Only kkboyk would get penalised if he copied what I wrote, right? :colone:
Reply 18
Ah man, Maths is probably one of the hardest PSs you could write! :eek:

And it's probably be got to not throw anything new at them in the conclusion.

I'd send you mine but I'm so scared about what could even happen even though I've already submitted it and gotten an offer :lol: @PQ would anything happen? Only kkboyk would get penalised if he copied what I wrote, right? :colone:

I've made one for engineeing, CS and Biology (a year ago) and they were definitely much easier =_=

Haha you don't have to send yours. I'm not the copying type, and I enjoy writing ( it makes me feel like a wizard).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending