The Student Room Group

cant stand religion bashers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moggis
What,religion or religion bashing.....

I think religion is a defense mechanism. Religion bashing I would guess could be a reaction to perceived high levels of religiosity of the person it is aimed at.
Original post by Longshot700
Nope, it's stupid to you personally. And you feel the need to attack it because it makes you feel better about your way of life.

This is simplistic as well as essentially being a way to shut down criticism. The fact of the matter is that plenty of people criticise religion because it genuinely merits to be criticised, not because the have crap lives and want to make themselves feel better. That's really nothing more than an ad hominem attack.
Original post by bluepimpernel
Oh am I? He's meant to be omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent according to abrahamic dogma.Please, do allow me to enlighten you on what those three words actually mean:

"Omnipresence or ubiquity is the property of being present everywhere. This property is most commonly used in a religious context as an attribute of a deity or supreme being"

"Omnipotence is the quality of having unlimited power. Monotheistic religions generally attribute omnipotence to only the deity of their faith."

"Omniscience is having complete or unlimited knowledge, awareness, or understanding; perceiving all things."

He's perfection personified into a being. He has unlimited power, unlimited knowledge and can be everywhere. He has everything, us mere mortals lack. As such, shouldn't he in all his mightness, be able to help those less imperfect beings? I have written a short note to remind me to look for the book you suggested, as I do have an interest and will probably persuit a GEM degree following my undergrad and I believe I will benefit from having the perspective of a potential patient case. With that being said, you sound incredibly patronizing. Like you, I know and I am aware of people with a range of disabilites who have thrived against all adversity and have managed to become self-reliant and achieve economical and personal independence. But they represent a small percentage within a much larger spectrum of those who are prisioners of their own body and mind. I have come to known parents with children who simply can't cope and they just leave because it is simply too much pain to bear or they leave the care of their children in the hands of others.

That happened to my grandmother, as my mother's cousin has Down Syndrome and my grandmother was the one who assumed the responsability as care giver because his own parents just couldn't cope. At the time, my mum was getting her QTS and was the one in charge of teching her own cousin basic notions of mathematics and science. If that kid got into a special needs school was thanks to the effort both my mother and my grandmother made. He's now in his 30s, and hasn't learnt nothing else other than what my mum taught him, while being assigned from one caregiver to another, because they simply can't deal with him. So my grandmother just keeps taking care of him, even if she's bloody 78. Tell me, do you think this is a good standard of living for either him or my grandmother? My grandmother should be enjoying life right now and not being a caregiver because her brother decided it wasn't his due.

Moreover, a child shouldn't be dying before his parents, it simply isn't natural. And trust me, a parent can never come in terms with it. It is just unnatural and unfair. Religion fools them into believing it is a mechanism to cope with the loss, when in real life it isn't as simple that, because while they're still holding to life, their children are ashes or buried in a tomb. People grieve in different ways , and not everybody sees a solution in religion, as it is not going to comfort you for the rest of your life. You don't recover from the death of a beloved one, simple as that. All you do is cope.

Your grandmother and all other such carers has my deepest sympathy. I understand why you are angry but I really didn't think the person you quoted was being patronising.
Original post by hellodave5
I think religion is a defense mechanism. Religion bashing I would guess could be a reaction to perceived high levels of religiosity of the person it is aimed at.

Ah,ok.

Well the main reason people join religions ( those who have a choice that is) is not because they believe in God.

Because of course the overwhelming majority of religious people don't actually believe in God.

If they did they wouldn't mind criticism so much for one thing.

Rather I believe they join because of the all too human desire to 'belong'.

Thus I am forced to concur.:biggrin:
Original post by moggis
Ah,ok.

Well the main reason people join religions ( those who have a choice that is) is not because they believe in God.

Because of course the overwhelming majority of religious people don't actually believe in God.

If they did they wouldn't mind criticism so much for one thing.

Rather I believe they join because of the all too human desire to 'belong'.

Thus I am forced to concur.:biggrin:

They don't use it as a defense mechanism, but rather to belong? Yeah, that I feel is a big part of it too. But most religious people tend to believe in a deity, I would have thought (apart from religions without a deity, lol).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SwedishRedhead

I have no idea what to say to this picture.
Though taking the P out of Atheists (which I am), I do feel the My Little Pony is a nice touch,
Original post by driftawaay
If I could eradicate one thing from this planet, it would be religion. It is the root of all evil. :smile:

That's just not true... just because some people use religion as an excuse to be awful to other humans doesn't mean it's fundamentally bad. There are many, many people who use religion for good. There is nothing wrong with people having faith in something that makes them happy, as long as they don't do that to the detriment of others.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
This is simplistic as well as essentially being a way to shut down criticism. The fact of the matter is that plenty of people criticise religion because it genuinely merits to be criticised, not because the have crap lives and want to make themselves feel better. That's really nothing more than an ad hominem attack.

Nope. You respect the respectful and disrespect the disrespectful regardless of their race or what god they believe i. That goes for the other way around as well.
Original post by SwedishRedhead

I have this photo saved on my computer for such threads as well xD
They don't use it as a defense mechanism, but rather to belong? Yeah, that I feel is a big part of it too. But most religious people tend to believe in a deity, I would have thought (apart from religions without a deity, lol).

I was agreeing with you I thought.

Most religious people claim to believe in God sure.

But come on. It's clear that most don't.

Imagine that you believed in God. I mean seriously imagine it.

Imagine how you'd feel. And how you would behave.And how you would live.

Now compare that to the way most religious people live and behave.

Hell,most religious people aren't even happy!
Original post by Plagioclase
That's just not true... just because some people use religion as an excuse to be awful to other humans doesn't mean it's fundamentally bad. There are many, many people who use religion for good. There is nothing wrong with people having faith in something that makes them happy, as long as they don't do that to the detriment of others.

That's the equivalent of 'Guns don't kill people, it's people who kill people'. Religion is fundamentally wrong because there no evidence that any of it is true. Living your life according to an ancient, outdated book of rules when you have no evidence that any of it is true is wrong, indoctrinating children to do the same is wrong. There is no such thing as 'as long as they don't do that to the detriment of others', these indoctrinated people end up in politics and form political parties based on 'Christian values' and then force religion on the entire society and then ban gay marriage because 'God said it is wrong a few thousands years ago'. Religion is the cancer of the human race and needs to be wiped out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by moggis
I was agreeing with you I thought.

Most religious people claim to believe in God sure.

But come on. It's clear that most don't.

Imagine that you believed in God. I mean seriously imagine it.

Imagine how you'd feel. And how you would behave.And how you would live.

Now compare that to the way most religious people live and behave.

Hell,most religious people aren't even happy!

Notion I hadn't considered, but is a very interesting one! I see what you mean.
Original post by robinfr
I seriously don't understand religion bashers the ones that don't really know anything about the religion and the people who follow the religion. I dunno it just gets on my nerves. does it get on anyone else's nerves

Religion bashers can't stand you.
Notion I hadn't considered, but is a very interesting one! I see what you mean.

Good.

Honestly I'm bemused at how many people think that 3 billion people actually believe that there's an invisible ' man' in the sky and that when they die they will live again and meet all their loved ones whereas a lot of other people won't and even worse will go to 'another place' where they will suffer for all eternity!

Using Occam's razor,which is the more likely, that so many believe in something so utterly fanciful in spite of there being not a shred of evidence to support it....

Or that for reasons that we have speculated on -and/ or other reasons - a lot of people feel the need or benefit in making such a claim?

Also ,the next time you see on the TV news a religious person dealing with sudden tragic loss take a good hard look.

The grief you see is nearly always the grief of someone who knows they won't be seeing their loved one ever again.

Religious people seem to take unforeseen death even harder than non religious people it seems to me.

Could it be that they are dealing with both the grief of the loss of their loved one and the acute knowledge that their 'belief' did not help them?

I hope no one takes this the wrong way. These people have my utmost sympathy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 115
Hail Christopher Hitchens
Original post by moggis
Good.

Honestly I'm bemused at how many people think that 3 billion people actually believe that there's an invisible ' man' in the sky and that when they die they will live again and meet all their loved ones whereas a lot of other people won't and even worse will go to 'another place' where they will suffer for all eternity!

Using Occam's razor,which is the more likely, that so many believe in something so utterly fanciful in spite of there being not a shred of evidence to support it....

Or that for reasons that we have speculated upon -and/ or other reasons - a lot of people feel the need or benefit to make such a claim?

Also ,the next time you see on the TV news a religious person dealing with sudden tragic loss take a good hard look.

The grief you see is nearly always the grief of someone who knows they won't be seeing their loved one ever again.

Religious people seem to take unforeseen death even harder than non religious people it seems to me.

Could it be that they are dealing with both the grief of the loss of their loved one and the acute knowledge that their 'belief' did not help them?

I hope no one takes this the wrong way. These people have my utmost sympathy.

I guess the thing with religion is that a creator can simply be said to fill in the gaps. There is great heterogeneity between people and groups in that levels of knowledge about where the gaps lay are completely different.
We could be living in The Matrix, but as you said with the rule of parsimony, is most likely not the case - though its possible, but ultimately such a thing wouldn't make any difference to me. There is no theoretical way that human beings can survive for eternity though and all we know is clearly against that. But I suppose discussing this is completely going against the thread ^^
Original post by Longshot700
Evidently not.

Why is that evident?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silverbolt
Faith on the other hand is a very good thing.

Why?
Original post by StrangeBanana
Why?

He meant Adam Faith, I think. I can't believe he would think it good to believe outlandish claims without credible evidence that they are true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending