The Student Room Group

Who likes eating eggs here?

Scroll to see replies

3 eggs this morning morning

Posted from TSR Mobile
:lol:

Tbh, if the OP wanted people to comment specifically in relation to the first post then perhaps s/he should've thought of a better thread title.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 62
My omelet was still as tasty.
Reply 63
I like egg
Original post by Marky777
My omelet was still as tasty.
But how does it taste with all that haunting guilt?
Uh, no, actually, all the film tells me is to keep going free-range...:tongue:
Original post by Treblebee
Uh, no, actually, all the film tells me is to keep going free-range...:tongue:

Free-range refers to the amount of space the egg-laying hens have at the egg factories.

That's irrelevant with respect to the hatcheries, which is what the video was about, and which supply all factories, including the free-range ones.
Reply 67
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
But how does it taste with all that haunting guilt?

Guilt is spicy, but quite bitter. Not the best taste.

But for real though, I've seen a video on YouTube that freaked the fk out of me, it was only 4 sec long. It was some kind of huge metallic blender filled with chicks, and 1 sec later the were all gone, nasty as fk, poor chicks :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Love eggs, eat them all the time. They're one of my main sources of sustenance. Thought the video was utterly ridiculous and funny too. Nothing could put me off eggs, they're delicious. All I care about is getting decent quality eggs at the cheapest price possible (thank you Lidl), I do not care what happens behind the scenes. That video is fake, I'm hardly going to believe a video on YouTube that's being narrated by an American. Animals were put on earth for our benefit so that we may consume their flesh and eggs. Also, regarding the video - it's not meant to be a petting zoo, the chicks don't need to be cuddled, you just need to extract the eggs in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible...so no cuddling.

Thought the last line in the video was hilarious, "You can help end this cruelty by adopting a compassionate, vegan diet." And miss out on tasty fried eggs?! Also, what cruelty?! Ridiculous.
Reply 69
If I could, I'd have my own chicken. My grandmother had a bunch when I was a kid and the eggs tasted much better. *biased* Taste of guilt was absent lol
Original post by e aí rapaz
Free-range refers to the amount of space the egg-laying hens have at the egg factories.

That's irrelevant with respect to the hatcheries, which is what the video was about, and which supply all factories, including the free-range ones.

Yh, but if you get a good supplier who you know, it's actually much better. e.g. milk from cows in CH which roam the mountains and eat wildflowers is obviously better than just randomly buying whatever's in the store that day.

Plus, if you want to consider everything, then you'd better stop wearing leather shoes (plus jackets, etc.) Don't wear anything with wool in it. Don't eat jelly... the list goes on and on. I'm just trying to say that we need animals; if we want them to have better lives, we should try to pull the weed out at its root and do something about the companies themselves:wink:

(such as doing research and letting the world know, so that the companies will be pressured to improve the animals' conditions)
Reply 71
Yes, I forgot to quote, sorry about the confusion
I'm not passionate about animal rights. I don't believe animals have rights. I am NOT saying that we should go out of our way to deliberately harm animals and inflict pain upon them. I'm a consumer, I have absolutely no power over what happens to animals across the world because I'm not in a position of power. The food industry is all about maximising profits, that happens through reducing expenses. Streamlining, mass production, increasing efficiency...it's no different than the conveyor belt model that operates in other forms of industry and manufacturing. This doesn't leave room for treating animals with compassion. It's not a 5 star hotel, it's an egg harvesting facility. I'd rather have the choice to buy really cheap eggs than have to spend a premium on eggs just so that the chicks can be cuddled while they're laying eggs.

And yes, the video is fake, I don't believe in the media and I don't believe in YouTube. It's not real.

I have no idea about the inns and outs of how eggs are brought to our supermarkets, I don't know the story and I'm not interested. As I said, all I care about is buying eggs at a cheap price because they're extremely important to me. I'm comfortable to make the assumption that the companies who provide us with eggs are operating within lawful limits, I'm not interested in what's going on behind the scenes. It's not my industry, I'm just a consumer and I love eggs.
Reply 73
Not instantly, but I am definitely considering this, as well as other changes such as avoiding cow milk. As far as economy an environment goes, we should really consider insects as a food source, takes less water, less land, etc but I guess I'm off-topic now lol.
Reply 74
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Not remotely true.

For every 100g of Sainsbury's horridly farmed eggs you get 14.1g of protein at the cost of £0.155.

For every 100g of Mori-Nu Silken Tofu Firm you get 6.6g of protein at the cost of £0.401.

So to get the same amount of protein from tofu compared to that lousy quality Sainsbury's egg, you'll have to spend £0.857 - 5.52 times what you'd spend on those low-quality eggs.

I guess veganism is a rich person's cause.

I find it interesting that we so blithely put a price on cruelty..

It surely should not just be a matter of comparing the price of one with the other ( although I realise of course you were answering rock climbers point so not really aiming this at you as such) but rather comparing the price of one thing with another thing plus the cruelty involved.

What kind of world is it where people think it's ok to do something that increases cruelty just to save a bit of money ffs?

It's not ok.

I think all school children should be taught just how evil the food industry really is and at the very least no advertising should be allowed that in any way implies the animals were ****** well ' happy' at any point during the process.

Ideally all food packaging should carry photos of the animal being slaughtered!

I said ideally.
Original post by moggis
What kind of world is it where people think it's ok to do something that increases cruelty just to save a bit of money ffs?
Yes, tell that to someone who relies on tax credits to make ends meet or is on benefits/jobseeker's allowance.
And what makes you think that they aren't already cooking with those kinds of food? Wouldn't it be good to make their diets more diverse with the inclusion of very cheap eggs?
The thread title is "Who likes eating eggs here?", so why are you jumping down the throats of people who answer the question?
Reply 78
vegans are so annoying
You do this on every thread where people's posts aren't 100% relevant to the entirety of the OP, do you? Yeah, didn't think so.

You can try to cast aspersions on my intelligence with this passive-aggressive crap but I'm not the one who thinks that humans and animals have the same rights, am I? You may think you're an intellectual, but in the real world we all know you'd be laughed at for these kinds of idiot views. Too bad. :yy:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending