The Student Room Group

My parents won't take me to open days?

Basically the unis I really like the look of such as Nottingham and UEA I can't visit and I feel like this is the most important deciding factor for me because I have done so much research for the courses and love them! I just don't want to get there and hate the atmosphere then to have to drop out and lose a year of my life and be £9000 in debt. I really want to go and visit but my parents just refuse to take me to any and won't even let me buy train tickets to go myself and I don't know what alternative I have if I can't see the uni. :frown::frown: Any suggestions?
Thanks
Original post by ameliapond13
Basically the unis I really like the look of such as Nottingham and UEA I can't visit and I feel like this is the most important deciding factor for me because I have done so much research for the courses and love them! I just don't want to get there and hate the atmosphere then to have to drop out and lose a year of my life and be £9000 in debt. I really want to go and visit but my parents just refuse to take me to any and won't even let me buy train tickets to go myself and I don't know what alternative I have if I can't see the uni. :frown::frown: Any suggestions?
Thanks

If your parents won't allow you to go by yourself to an open day, what happens if you get a university place???
Reply 2
What stopping you from taking yourself?
Going to university is as much about becoming an independant person than anything else.
Go with a friend? If they're not allowing you to go alone..
Go alone. If you don't have enough money you can get a job and go to a post-app open day, alternatively you can email the unis and explain you have no means to access the open days, sometimes they will pay your train fare so you can attend.

If you don't go it's really not the end of the world, you can't really know what a place will be like because you spent half a day there.
Would anyone actually drop out because of the 'atmosphere'?
Reply 6
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Would anyone actually drop out because of the 'atmosphere'?

I think by atmosphere he means the university's physical presence. Like he doesn't like the way things are ran internally etc. or it simply doesn't meet his expectations.

Try persuading them harder. Say it's your future at risk if you make the wrong decision.

If that doesn't work go with a friend or go alone if need be, they don't need to know.

Or, find someone who is currently studying in that uni to ask what it's like - they'll probably be a little biased but would give you a useful insight.

But IMO the best thing you can do is go with a friend or alone, this is your future (or at least the next 3-4 years [or longer]) of your life.
Tell your parents that in under a year's time you could be potentially moving to one of those places, and you need to know if it feels right. If they won't let you go by yourself, remind them, again, that in udner a year's time you will be potentially moving to one of these places, and so it makes no sense to not let you go now (it would be better if you get to know the place first). If they don't let you go, what about going with a friend? Would they be ok with that?
Original post by Jamdroid
I think by atmosphere he means the university's physical presence. Like he doesn't like the way things are ran internally etc. or it simply doesn't meet his expectations.

But can you actually know a university clear enough just for going to an open day?

Quick Reply