The Student Room Group

My parents are kinda ****ty

Hi guys so basically for my GCSE'S I got 7A*'s and 2A's which is not too bad but I don't wanna brag long story short after results day my parents barely congratulated me! I just feel like whatever I do I'm always inadequate anyway the thing is our school is doing awards evening for the GCSE'S and my parents won't even bother turning up? I know seems like a lil issue but I kinda just feel like a piece of **** all the time :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Like the day I got 98½% in a mock Maths O Level and my Mum said "What happened to the other 1½%?"

Some parents believe it is best not to praise so as to encourage greater effort. I lived under it. It is indeed ***t. It is a very common trait in Yorkshire, for example.
Yeah its kinda painful tho cause you try so hard and you just wanna hear one sentence of praise or an emotion that they're proud and there isn't a shred like why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rishikasmiles
Yeah its kinda painful tho cause you try so hard and you just wanna hear one sentence of praise or an emotion that they're proud and there isn't a shred like why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know how you feel, when I got an offer from Bristol and Nottingham (not even the polys) she was like 'are they even any good?' like seriously? Educate yourself please mum...
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Yeah I know how you feel, when I got an offer from Bristol and Nottingham (not even the polys) she was like 'are they even any good?' like seriously? Educate yourself please mum...

That's really well done! Which one did you end up choosing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys so basically for my GCSE'S I got 7A*'s and 2A's which is not too bad but I don't wanna brag long story short after results day my parents barely congratulated me! I just feel like whatever I do I'm always inadequate anyway the thing is our school is doing awards evening for the GCSE'S and my parents won't even bother turning up? I know seems like a lil issue but I kinda just feel like a piece of **** all the time :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My parents didn't congratulate me when I got my A-level results which were fantastic. At first I was kind of hurt, but then I remembered that I did it for me, not for them. So I went home and ate a tub of ice-cream in bed, had a nap and chilled out :smile:
Reply 6
Well I think you've done awesome. Some parents can be awkward, sometimes I think it's just better not to expect anything praise wise from them. Besides which deep down they are probably really proud and probably tell the neighbour and everyone else but you. It sucks. I think you expect it less with age.
Original post by anomaly0
Well I think you've done awesome. Some parents can be awkward, sometimes I think it's just better not to expect anything praise wise from them. Besides which deep down they are probably really proud and probably tell the neighbour and everyone else but you. It sucks. I think you expect it less with age.

Aw thanks - I guess parents are the hardest to please but hey its not the end of the world

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by preetg97
My parents didn't congratulate me when I got my A-level results which were fantastic. At first I was kind of hurt, but then I remembered that I did it for me, not for them. So I went home and ate a tub of ice-cream in bed, had a nap and chilled out :smile:

That's a good way to look at it but in the awards ceremony I might feel a lil **** not to see my parents in the audience but meanwhile grabbing the tub of icecream 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
their giving you tough love,they dont want to encourage complacency
That's really well done! Which one did you end up choosing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I went for Bristol in the end. :smile: Where are you planning to apply?
Thanks, I went for Bristol in the end. :smile: Where are you planning to apply?

Bath,maybe Cambridge 😂😂😂 (never hurts to try eh?) but obvs a few others as good backup - what u studying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simes
Like the day I got 98½% in a mock Maths O Level and my Mum said "What happened to the other 1½%?"

Some parents believe it is best not to praise so as to encourage greater effort. I lived under it. It is indeed ***t. It is a very common trait in Yorkshire, for example.

Ouch man, that must've been a gutting feeling.
Reply 13
My dad is the same, like I'd be given backhanded complements when it came to how well I achieved in school, or different academic or non-academic achievements. I just began my gap year and after having gone through a similar situation for the past 3/4 years you just tend to go **** it and be proud of your own achievements, regardless of your parents. Be thankful you're a better person than them and learn from your parents mistakes when it comes to your own children. (if you decide to have them) :smile:
Original post by pollysel97
My dad is the same, like I'd be given backhanded complements when it came to how well I achieved in school, or different academic or non-academic achievements. I just began my gap year and after having gone through a similar situation for the past 3/4 years you just tend to go **** it and be proud of your own achievements, regardless of your parents. Be thankful you're a better person than them and learn from your parents mistakes when it comes to your own children. (if you decide to have them) :smile:

Yeah I've always thought I'm going to make my children feel adequate the feeling of not good nuff is gutting - thanks for your kinda words xoxo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some parents are kind of indifferent to their children mine are sometimes like that
Bath,maybe Cambridge 😂😂😂 (never hurts to try eh?) but obvs a few others as good backup - what u studying

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah definitely apply, I got an interview at Oxford which was a great experience even though I didn't get an offer! I'm doing chemistry, and you?
Yeah definitely apply, I got an interview at Oxford which was a great experience even though I didn't get an offer! I'm doing chemistry, and you?

I wanna do architecture let's see:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
>OP, I am sorry that you feel your parents won't attend your award ceremony. That would be disappointing after you've done so well. What would happen if you asked your parents to attend? You know parents can get wrapped up in their own day to day problems....bad jobs, financial difficulties, poor health, etc. and maybe they aren't intentionally
snubbing you. I hope not. Anyway, maybe mention that awards night for the GCSE's will be on X evening and since you're getting an award it would be nice if they could be there. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending