The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because you look the same lol.

I think Turkey is always in Eurovision and also a part of Europe.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Being Indian personally I don't think we vastly differ in appearances. When I went to an Open day I was called Pakistani by a bunch of girls who themselves were Pakistani, so I mean...if they couldn't see the difference in appearance then I don't know who can!

I don't think Pakistani people look middle eastern, they most definitely look more Indian than middle eastern. That's my observation anyway.

Lol but why the huge need to separate your self from the South Asian/Indian label, it was once the same country....:rolleyes: (tbf that answers your question as to why our ethnicities get mixed up).

most of the pakistanis in the UK are from punjab you probably have not met any pakistanis from hazara/ and the eastern regions
Reply 42
We get lumped with Indians because we literally are Indian.
Genetically and culturally. We eat the same food, we wear similar clothes, we celebrate marriage like they do, we speak the same language. We are Indians, accept it or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Onde
is it especially useful or wise to talk of "ethnicity" and "race"?

Most people of European descent have the bulk of their genetics coming from three refuge populations from an Ice Age intermedial.

Much of Europe and Asia is generally typified as of "Caucasian" in appearance, with variations. Would I necessarily see a Turk as a Syrian as "non-European", whether visually, or in behaviour? and why would this actually matter?

In Afghanistan, the rich educated elite speak persian and the lowerclasses speak pashto, equally very few Pakistanis speak persian nobody even calls it farsi because that makes no sense, no British person says 'I can speak English and Francais'
Because people from the well off areas of Pakistan (areas from which most Pakistanis emigrate from) (Punjab, Sindh) are definitely a lot closer ethnically to Indians, than Afghans/Iranians (who westerners lump with "Arabs" )
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by eoe
We get lumped with Indians because we literally are Indian.
Genetically and culturally. We eat the same food, we wear similar clothes, we celebrate marriage like they do, we speak the same language. We are Indians, accept it or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

you probably have never been to pakistan, stop basing your assumption of pakistanis on the mirpuris u see in the UK
Original post by Rat_Bag
Someone doesn't know their history.

The Pakistani national anthem is in Urdu. The anthem was chosen hastily in the early 50s when Pakistan was without a national anthem and the head of state of Iran was soon to visit. The lyrics were chosen so as to be understandable to Farsi/Persian speakers (Farsi/Persian and Urdu/Hindi having sufficiently similar loan words for this to be possible)

Anyway, you just highlighted another example of Pakistanis begging it off Middle Easterners: choosing a national anthem to impress them and show how "similar we all are"

Yeah so Pakistan is diverse. So is India. Which makes the Indian subcontinent (within which both India and Pakistan exist) very diverse

AHAHAHA

:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Was about to point this out, this thread is amazing, insecure boys getting turned out

'b-b-b-but I am basically Arab :cry2:'

Lol nope
Reply 47
Because they're all very similar no? India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are all just three nation states of a very similar people.
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
In Afghanistan, the rich educated elite speak persian and the lowerclasses speak pashto, equally very few Pakistanis speak persian nobody even calls it farsi because that makes no sense, no British person says 'I can speak English and Francais'

our national anthem is in farsi, thats all you need to know about the amount of pakistanis that can understand and speak farsi.
Original post by halal kebab5
most of the pakistanis in the UK are from punjab you probably have not met any pakistanis from hazara/ and the eastern regions

No offence but that's a silly point to make, I don't know what you're trying to prove there because OP is asking why we get lumped together and I'm assuming he/she was talking about here in the UK. So I am just basing my observation on the majority of Pakistani people I have seen here in the UK. Maybe the people from Hazara etc do look middle eastern... but that's not what I'm saying.
(edited 8 years ago)
you probably have never been to pakistan, stop basing your assumption of pakistanis on the mirpuris u see in the UK

Mirpuri bashing now

Very classy
Reply 51
In Afghanistan, the rich educated elite speak persian and the lowerclasses speak pashto

That's not true

The southern provinces are Pashtun, and those people (rich or poor) speak Pashtun

The northern provinces are Tajik, and those people (rich or poor) speak Persian (called Dari locally)

Dari (Persian) is the language of administration (and is therefore spoken by rich Pashtuns as well, always as a second language) because of centuries of Persian domination.

Pashtun is very often the language of business though, with Tajik businessmen often speaking Pashtun (always as a second language)
AHAHAHA

:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Was about to point this out, this thread is amazing, insecure boys getting turned out

'b-b-b-but I am basically Arab :cry2:'

Lol nope

wait arnt you the guy telling me to ask the girls you ****ed about how good hindu boys are in bed?
Reply 53

Hazara look Chinese.
Original post by Rat_Bag
That's not true

The southern provinces are Pashtun, and those people (rich or poor) speak Pashtun

The northern provinces are Tajik, and those people (rich or poor) speak Persian (called Dari locally)

Dari (Persian) is the language of administration (and is therefore spoken by rich Pashtuns as well, always as a second language) because of centuries of Persian domination.

Pashtun is very often the language of business though, with Tajik businessmen often speaking Pashtun (always as a second language)

That's what I was saying, the rich pashtuns generally learn persian and communicate with that as the lingua franca

Never heard about the last part, but I'll take your word for it
Original post by Rat_Bag
Someone doesn't know their history.

The Pakistani national anthem is in Urdu. The anthem was chosen hastily in the early 50s when Pakistan was without a national anthem and the head of state of Iran was soon to visit. The lyrics were chosen so as to be understandable to Farsi/Persian speakers (Farsi/Persian and Urdu/Hindi having sufficiently similar loan words for this to be possible)

Anyway, you just highlighted another example of Pakistanis begging it off Middle Easterners: choosing a national anthem to impress them and show how "similar we all are"

Have you been to Balochistan? They speak farsi fluently, and also please tell me where you got that information from
wait arnt you the guy telling me to ask the girls you ****ed about how good hindu boys are in bed?

Yeah I was

I assure you I am not Hindu even if I've always found I get along with Hindu guys.
I really don't understand why some Pakistanis and Indians refer to themselves as Middle Eastern / Arab...because you're not.
Reply 58
Mirpuri bashing now

Very classy

Indeed. Am never sure if Pakistan actually wants Kashmir to join their paradise state, them given how horrible so many are are about Mirpuris.
Reply 59
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I really don't understand why some Pakistanis and Indians refer to themselves as Middle Eastern / Arab...because you're not.

Because they are insecure

Latest

Trending

Trending