The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Feeling lonely at Lancaster University

Hi, i'm a first year at Lancaster University and having been here for 4 weeks now I expected to feel much more settled than I do. I wouldn't say I have made many friends, maybe one or two people I feel I can text. I have been attending groups and societies and have been to see many people within the university about how I feel but nothing appears to be working. My friends at other universities are having a wonderful time and i'm here just waiting for the days to pass. Any help or advice would be great.

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

I am a first year student at Lancaster University too.

what college are you in?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Yellow2914
Hey,

I am a first year student at Lancaster University too.

what college are you in?

Hi, i'm the original poster, but unfortunately it wouldn't allow me back into my account haha.Thanks for replying, I'm in Cartmel.
Original post by PPEStudent1
Hi, i'm the original poster, but unfortunately it wouldn't allow me back into my account haha.Thanks for replying, I'm in Cartmel.

hey,

I am in Cartmel too, Block 52 :smile:

Don't really like Cartmel much to be honest, we are so far away from everything hahah.
hey,

I am in Cartmel too, Block 52 :smile:

Don't really like Cartmel much to be honest, we are so far away from everything hahah.

I'm in block 51 😊 and yeah it's a bit of a pain when you have an hour between lectures
I'm in block 51 😊 and yeah it's a bit of a pain when you have an hour between lectures

Yeah I have like an hour gap all the time between lectures :frown:,

what you studying? PPE is politics, Philosophy and Economics right?
Yeah I have like an hour gap all the time between lectures :frown:,

what you studying? PPE is politics, Philosophy and Economics right?

Yeah it is, what are you studying?

I have hour gaps between lectures everyday and its such a waste of time as you walk back to Cartmel or the library and by the time you get settled to do some work you have to set off again.

I have hour gaps between lectures everyday and its such a waste of time as you walk back to Cartmel or the library and by the time you get settled to do some work you have to set off again.

I am studying Accounting and Finance, I do Economics as a minor, don't understand a word of it if I am honest :smile:

Is it your block that plays the loud music ?

Can always hear it on odd days and times :P.

Also a lot of people smoke outside your block too, which must get annoying?
Is it your block that plays the loud music ?

Can always hear it on odd days and times :P.

Also a lot of people smoke outside your block too, which must get annoying?

No I don't think it's my block, I can't hear it anyway, and yeah the smoking did get on my nerves but it's only really a problem at dinner time :smile:
No I don't think it's my block, I can't hear it anyway, and yeah the smoking did get on my nerves but it's only really a problem at dinner time :smile:

ah okay.

Yeah we hear them a lot here, I am on ground floor so its a lot worse than the higher flats.
I'm in sort of a similar boat, like some days I feel like I've found a few people I'll end up being really good friends with. The next day I become slightly uncertain. None of the days seem to be consistent which is beginning to annoy me. I guess it'll get better as time progresses. Just try to plough through the days and I'm sure things will get better very soon!
I feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one in that mindset.
Original post by El-Hurracan
I'm in sort of a similar boat, like some days I feel like I've found a few people I'll end up being really good friends with. The next day I become slightly uncertain. None of the days seem to be consistent which is beginning to annoy me. I guess it'll get better as time progresses. Just try to plough through the days and I'm sure things will get better very soon!
I feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one in that mindset.

are you at lancaster?
You guys should meet up.
Yupp
Hi,

1. continue going societies even if you don't make "close" friends.

2. try going out with your housemates, one night out is all it takes for you to bond with them.

3. international students are awesome, you can easily make friends with them, stick up a poster stating your interested in a certain culture e.g. Chinese, I'm sure you can do some sort of language exchange. I did this at university and I ended up making really good friends.

Original post by PPE Student
Hi, i'm a first year at Lancaster University and having been here for 4 weeks now I expected to feel much more settled than I do. I wouldn't say I have made many friends, maybe one or two people I feel I can text. I have been attending groups and societies and have been to see many people within the university about how I feel but nothing appears to be working. My friends at other universities are having a wonderful time and i'm here just waiting for the days to pass. Any help or advice would be great.
Original post by PPE Student

I feel exactly the same. It's been 5 weeks now and I keep going to societies but can't seem to make any friends. I also get people smoking outside my block and it sometimes comes through the air vents when cooking or the kitchen will smell of smoke if the window is left open because my flat is on the ground floor. I'm in pendle ensuite, which is very near cartmel, and I know walking back and forth to lectures is annoying!
Original post by Antarctica09
I feel exactly the same. It's been 5 weeks now and I keep going to societies but can't seem to make any friends. I also get people smoking outside my block and it sometimes comes through the air vents when cooking or the kitchen will smell of smoke if the window is left open because my flat is on the ground floor. I'm in pendle ensuite, which is very near cartmel, and I know walking back and forth to lectures is annoying!

I get the same thing with the vents and smoke! Which societies do you go to?
Reply 18
Hi, I live in House 51! I'm studying international foundation year, Law and social study. :biggrin:
Original post by leungty
Hi, I live in House 51! I'm studying international foundation year, Law and social study. :biggrin:

Hey,

House 52 here :biggrin:

Studying accounting and finance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending