The Student Room Group

Who likes eating eggs here?

Scroll to see replies

No, insisting that people who aren't well to do to eat food which would plunge them into further poverty is more immoral than the example you gave.
Ive seen it and my it has reinforced my view. Eat as much eggs as you can.
Original post by loveleest
She is absolutely ridiculous. She reported me for the same reason too.

Think it's a he with the blue male symbol but just tell him to un-report you haha
Oh whatever I AM ALLOWED AN OPINION. Why don't you grow up and let other people have an opinion? I love eggs and I eat them. SIMPLE. you telling me I am a troll just for that it right down offensive. Reporting someone for just a simple comment is so low and extremely childish, like you're acting as if you're some 5 year old that snitched to their parent because because they said something you didn't agree with, You have your say and don't eat eggs, but let others enjoy eating their eggs. gosh.

Seriously, grow up.
What a shame you chose not to address my points. Care to elaborate on that comment? Ah, probably not. :h:

Crap? Just like the stuff you provided me with then. Gah, ofc you have. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So are you suggesting people should live off fruit and vegetables alone?:lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh apologies for my mistake which caused your hysterical reaction. I meant 46 grams of protein for the average sedentary woman and 56 grams for the average sedentary man. Arguing with ideologues is tiring, you know?
Can we please stop getting so flustered and argumentative over eggs.
Please remain on topic and try to refrain from insulting one another else the thread will be removed.
No hunny, let me address some things to you okay?
When I post on here, I do it for MYSELF, no one else. You don't have to agree with me. I am not trying to 'inflame tensions'. You do not have to agree with me liking my eggs, but don't get rude and call me a troll because of it. You're childish and a very simple-minded person and I want you to understand that. Reporting someone just for a simple comment is just low, very very low indeed. You didn't have to even reply to my comment, a simple scroll drown through the thread would have done perfectly fine rather than reporting me and calling me a troll, because all that did was made me report you back. To summarise all this up: I like eggs whether you like it or not and your opinion is not going to stop me liking them, You're simple minded and childish and idc If you think I'm am 'troll'. Have a good day.
Well some people don't want to do that, stop forcing your opinions onto other people, it's so ignorant.
Well, you need to understand that not everyone wants to live such a way of life. ^-^

I know¡¡!¡¡!! :eek4:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dont have a problem with anything baby. I'm just telling you to let others have a word of say.

have a great day xxx
You are not enlightening anyone please. You are forcing opinions on others
Eggs are very nutritious.
Not really tbh.
I eat eggs everyday and I still have low cholesterol, I am active and eat mainly healthy foods :smile:
I'm not guilty and I'm sure many others aren't.
Original post by aamirac
I wonder where the egg came from...

I wonder what came first the chicken or the egg?
Okay I've crunched the numbers of your diet plan and here are the results:

Can of kidney beans:
Weight: 240g
Cost: £0.60
Protein/100g: 8.1g
Cost/100g: £0.25
Size of 1 serving: 120g
Cost per 100g of pure protein: £3.086
Caloric content of 1 serving: 126 kcal

Pasta (not the wholemeal kind, since we're talking about poorer people here):
Weight: 500g
Cost: £0.35
Protein/100g: 5g
Cost/100g: £0.07
Size of 1 serving: 100g
Cost per 100g of pure protein: £1.40
Caloric content of 1 serving: 346 kcal

Frozen peas:
Weight: 1200g
Cost: £1.40
Protein/100g: 5.9g
Cost/100g: £0.117
Size of 1 serving: 80g
Cost per 100g of pure protein: £1.977
Caloric content of 1 serving: 63 kcal

Porridge oats (how does one eat it with only water, I wonder; it tastes like sawdust):
Weight: 500g
Cost: £0.70
Protein/100g: 10.3g
Cost/100g: £0.14
Size of 1 serving: 50g
Cost per 100g of pure protein: £1.359
Caloric content of 1 serving: 182 kcal

Bread (not the wholemeal kind, since we're talking about poorer people here):
Weight: 800g
Cost: £0.55
Protein/100g: 7.4g
Cost/100g: £0.069
Size of 1 serving: 36.36g
Cost per 100g of pure protein: £0.929
Caloric content of 1 serving: 87 kcal

Peanut butter:
Weight: 340g
Cost: £0.65
Protein/100g: 26.4g
Cost/100g: £0.191
Size of 1 serving: 20g
Cost per 100g of pure protein: £0.724
Caloric content of 1 serving: 134 kcal

Soya mince:
Weight: 375g
Cost: 1.25
Protein/100g: 14.1g
Cost/100g: £0.507
Size of 1 serving: 80g
Cost per 100g of pure protein: £4.258
Caloric content of 1 serving: 78 kcal

Eggs:
Weight: 805g
Cost: £1.25
Protein/100g:14.1
Cost/100g: £0.155
Size of 1 serving: 50g
Cost per 100g of pure protein: £1.101
Caloric content of 1 serving: 71.5 kcal

Note: all of these foodstuff are the cheapest available ones found at Sainsbury (with the exception to the soya mince which was found at Tesco, because all of Sainsbury's soya mince had eggs in them).

According to my calculations, your diet plan (excluding the amino acids which you mention, but including a serving of peas) will consist of 50.05g of protein with 1237 calories consumed, at the cost of £1.009 per individual using your diet.

Some stray observations:

1. Of all the food, only peanut butter and bread (yes, even the low-quality ones) were more protein and cost-efficient than eggs, being 52% and 18% respectively more efficient than eggs in terms of cost and protein.
2. It would be far cheaper and protein-efficient to substitute foods like kidney beans, peas, and soya mince with eggs. Eggs were more efficient by those foods by 180%, 80%, and 287% respectively.
3. Eggs contain all nine essential amino acids: histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lycine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan and valine, and three out of four of the nonessential amino (alanine, aspartic acid and glutamic acid) so they could very well also be as efficient as the vegetable's amino acids which you mentioned.
4. In terms of caloric content, your diet falls short of the daily recommended intake of 2500 calories for men (since you used the figure of 56g of protein, which is the recommended daily intake for males), even if we did assume that a dinner (which already includes your soya mince) had 1000 kcal of sides. Your diet is unsustainable and could cause harm to health in the long run, and thus cannot be a good diet to be used to measure the benefits of going full vegan avoiding eggs.

So no, I'm not remotely convinced by the numbers and diet plan you have presented me.
Apologies for the pricing of kidney beans. Still, if we were to revise the price of the kidney beans and soya mince, they would still be highly inefficient - eggs are still 40% and 152% more efficient.

There is no false dichotomy, considering also that we were also talking about the price of the food given that the consumer is not well off. Doubling the amount of food to reach the 2500 calorie mark would result in doubling the cost, not to mention lacking in a lot of essential vitamins and nutrients, and at more than £2 per person, the cost price is actually extremely high for someone who cooks at home.

So I'm still not convinced.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Nothing worse than a militant vegan, what I choose to eat is not subject to anybody's moral jurisdiction.

Yes it is. How is it not?
I didn't want to hence why I didn't.
are you profesh now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending