The Student Room Group

9am lectures/practicals can't cope!

Scroll to see replies

This is why I'm glad I didn't go into halls!

I feel sorry for you, but ultimately, as has been pointed out, this is your problem. It's not going to go away by itself, and whichever way you slice it, you still have to get to your 9am classes. You have to look at the bottom line: if I consistently fail to attend, this will affect my end of year grade. So, you have to find a way to make this work.

No point bemoaning your problems to your academic tutors in class in anything other than casual, anecdotal asides - their job is to put on the most productive learning session possible. They want students to show up ready to engage with the session, and they're not going to be interested in excuses. They've probably heard and seen it all before with students who are suffering from the after-effects of partying. I know it's unfortunate since you're suffering from secondary effects, but nevertheless, there it is.

Since I don't live in halls, I wouldn't know the standard procedure for noise complaints, but there has to be one where you are. At least that's something proactive you can do. I guess, ultimately, there's no possible way to gt 18-20yr olds in halls to behave themselves all the time, but at least it might minimise the amount of disruption. Other than that, you'll just have to learn to adapt.
Reply 21
Original post by ~Seraphina~
Many of my friends actually get to lectures on time. Their secret? They do not bathe or brush their teeth when they get up. They simply throw some clothes on and rush to school.

Yes this is what I did for the other practical last Wednesday morning.
Original post by Frostyjoe
Yes this is what I did for the other practical last Wednesday morning.

Cool. so just stick to this. Punctuality is so important! you can always bring your toothbrush and paste along and then do the deed just before the lecture or during one of the breaks. What's the big deal? Everyone knows that most local people at university do not bathe or brush their teeth in the mornings. All it takes is one look at them to confirm the initial suspicion.
Reply 23
Report the offenders (discreetly) and buy some earplugs. Problem solved.
Earplugs might not work if your already sleeping through alarms
I am sorry that you're struggling with so much noise at night. Two things I want to underline that people have already mentioned:

* earplugs: I use the silicone ones from Boots and find them very good. The foam ones I think are practically useless. If you think these might prevent you from hearing your alarm, then set it to vibrate as well, under your pillow or nearby.

* report the noise! Your halls must have a duty porter/security at night whose job is both to make sure everything is secure, but also to deal with noise complaints. If people are playing loud music after 11/12, screaming up and down the corridors etc., then just call security, tell them which flat/corridor it is and they'll come deal with it. If it's a repeated occurrence then eventually it'll wind up a disciplinary matter with the university, which frankly serves such a*seholes right! If you don't for some reason have night security/RA or whatever, speak to your personal tutor, who may be able to get the right disciplinary people to act.

Ultimately you have to take responsibility for your learning, which means that if something is preventing you from getting to your classes, you have to take steps to deal with it.
Reply 26
Silicone earplugs from Boots are the best, I've used them once or twice so I don't hear my own flatmates' partying.
Call university security to tell them to shut up. Simple.
And get some earplugs JiC
Reply 28
I got the foam earplugs from boots. I'll see what happens.
Someone I know bought a White Noise machine and he uses it all the time.
I think it's a bit weird, but apparently once you get used to the hum it makes, it's very effective.

(And yes, report them, report them, report them.
Got that.
Report them.
This is ruining your life and probably other people's.)
If all else fails, get some sympathetic friends over and have a wild party at 11:00 am or something. That's when party people will be sleeping, so they'll get a taste of their own medicine. (Disclaimer: may not work.)
call your halls warden or RA whenever there is noise and try and make it difficult enough to party that these people go out

unfortunately talking to them wont make any difference, if they're drunk they're going to do whatever they want and not think about the consequences, you may as well try but personally I find that just winds me up and then I get frustrated and it's harder to sleep

other than that, get a louder alarm clock, get two or three alarm clocks so the jarring noise of them all going off wakes you up and put them on the other side of the room... perhaps try an alarm that buzzes under your pillow? see if this has more of an effect?

complaining to your lecturers will do nothing, everyone is in the same boat in halls and everyone has 9am lectures, they aren't going to have any sympathy with you being tired, my 9ams in first year were after a big party night and I used to get in between 2 and 6 and still make it there on time as did plenty of other people, you will just make a bad name for yourself if you complain or ask for lectures to be moved

you need to work out what to do, you're an adult and 'someone kept me up last night' would never be an appropriate excuse to turn up to work late (and it happens, my neighbours have arguments in the middle of the night and dogs who bark all the time) so you can't expect people to take it now
Reply 32
Yeah I've already tried talking to them. They jumped on my roof when I was studying last night and I went out to them and the response got was a bunch of childish animal noises.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah I've already tried talking to them. They jumped on my roof when I was studying last night and I went out to them and the response got was a bunch of childish animal noises.

Then you need to make a formal complaint.
I understand what your talking about, just tell your flatmates to not have parties when you have 9am lectures, if you have trouble just go sleep early
You're going to have to get used to it, you'll probably be expected to be in at 9am every day when you have a job.
You just need to get into a routine, it gets easier.

Ahh I didn't see this bit. I had problems with the same thing in first year when I was in halls. Halls is an absolute **** hole if you plan to get any sleep whatsoever. Just be sure not to go with halls again, and when finding somewhere new to live in 2nd year try to pick people you know aren't loud, constant party goers and who take uni seriously...otherwise your second year house will resemble halls just on a smaller scale.
Original post by SophieSmall
You're going to have to get used to it, you'll probably be expected to be in at 9am every day when you have a job.
You just need to get into a routine, it gets easier.

no it doesn't :tongue:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
no it doesn't :tongue:

It gets easier in the sense you'll eventually start waking up on time...but yeah it's not exactly fun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending