The Student Room Group

Fitness help needed

Needed to post this anonymously so I posted it here, sry in advance

hey, so, I am currently 17 and work out at night for about twenty minutes doing a combination of planks, tricep dips, press/push up variations and leg lifts. My aim from all of this is to build a small amount of muscle and to lose my small pot belly and "man boobs" . As well as that I'm planning on doing an hour of cycling a day as a form of cardio as a fat burner. As it comes to food I eat a portion of natural yogurt and some plain wheatabix (no sugar) using 2% fat milk. I have a jacket potato for lunch, just plain with margarine. Different dinners and no supper. Along the day I drink only water and have fruit snacks such as apples and oranges.

So, question time, following this routine, do any of you "fitness egg heads" know if this plan will work? Or can advise any amendments to it? Any help would be appreciated 😀

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good progress so far mate, but i think jacket potatoes are quite unhealthy i think as iv'e heard they've got fat in them, try to add more meat in your diet like chicken and fish
Original post by Anonymous

hey, so, I am currently 17 and work out at night for about twenty minutes doing a combination of planks, tricep dips, press/push up variations and leg lifts. My aim from all of this is to build a small amount of muscle and to lose my small pot belly and "man boobs" . As well as that I'm planning on doing an hour of cycling a day as a form of cardio as a fat burner. As it comes to food I eat a portion of natural yogurt and some plain wheatabix (no sugar) using 2% fat milk. I have a jacket potato for lunch, just plain with margarine. Different dinners and no supper. Along the day I drink only water and have fruit snacks such as apples and oranges.

So, question time, following this routine, do any of you "fitness egg heads" know if this plan will work? Or can advise any amendments to it? Any help would be appreciated 😀

Incorporate compound lifts into your workout such as deadlift,squat and bench press.
I'm no expert but there are tons more suitable choices of food you could consume. What's the difference between dinner and supper thought they were the same thing?
Reply 4
Walk for an hour a day. Helps more than you think

If you're serious about losing fat and gaining a bit of muscle, you're going to have to increase your training intensity and stricten your diet mate. Your body will only change (positively) if you force it to do so. Go to the gym and do compound lifts (these will not only help you add muscle and strength but will also help you lose fat and therefore your moobs). I presume you're a beginner so to start with lifting twice a week each for 1 hour will suffice. As you get fitter you can increase your frequency as your body will recover faster. Do some form of daily cardio such as jogging, rowing, cycling, walking, or play sport. Nutrition wise, add more lean meat do your diet and more vegetables. Cut out jacket potato and replace it with other carbs like sweet potato and brown rice. If you need anything else PM me; more than happy to help :smile:
You should aim to build muscle first then slim down. Not both.

You should eat calories at a maintenance level. Calculate it on the internet. Eat double your weigh in protein. For example, if you weigh 60kg you need to eat at least 120g of protein. The rest can come from carbs and fats.

Your weigh lifting program needs to be more comprehensive. Find a simple strength building and muscle building routine online. Chest, Back, Shoulders, Arms, Legs, Rest, Rest, Repeat.

Be consistent in the gym and in the kitchen. Have a long term aim....so until next feb/mar you should be trying to put on muscle. Then from then you should do a low carb diet. Eat 500 calories less than you burn. Same levels of protein. Reduce the carbs and/or fats. Do that for 13 days. The 14th day is a junk day. Anything goes. The repeat the diet.

The weight lifting program is the same.
Reply 7
Original post by stochasticking
Incorporate compound lifts into your workout such as deadlift,squat and bench press.

Been told that at my age, those kind of heavy lifts can stunt growth? That's why I'm not eager to do them
Reply 8
Original post by phunky_fresh
I'm no expert but there are tons more suitable choices of food you could consume. What's the difference between dinner and supper thought they were the same thing?

Dinner is the main meal of the day for me around six ish and supper is a before bedtime snack at around with or nine
Reply 9
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
If you're serious about losing fat and gaining a bit of muscle, you're going to have to increase your training intensity and stricten your diet mate. Your body will only change (positively) if you force it to do so. Go to the gym and do compound lifts (these will not only help you add muscle and strength but will also help you lose fat and therefore your moobs). I presume you're a beginner so to start with lifting twice a week each for 1 hour will suffice. As you get fitter you can increase your frequency as your body will recover faster. Do some form of daily cardio such as jogging, rowing, cycling, walking, or play sport. Nutrition wise, add more lean meat do your diet and more vegetables. Cut out jacket potato and replace it with other carbs like sweet potato and brown rice. If you need anything else PM me; more than happy to help :smile:

Thx for the advice, this may sound slightly stupid, but my palette of food isn't great, I don't really East meats on their own, for my protein I usually stick to nuts, milk, sausages and spinach. Someone also said eat twice your body weight in protein, even if I ate the majority of meats, around 110 grams aid a crap ton of protein to find in one day?
Original post by ikhan94
Good progress so far mate, but i think jacket potatoes are quite unhealthy i think as iv'e heard they've got fat in them, try to add more meat in your diet like chicken and fish

This article I found seems to say the potato itself isn't too bad, it more the fat rich topping you put on it
Original post by ikhan94

Potatoes don't have fat in...

Theyre like pure carbs. Sure if you load them with cheese and **** but not plain with margarine.
Been told that at my age, those kind of heavy lifts can stunt growth? That's why I'm not eager to do them

Hmm that is true. Increase the volume and intensity of your workouts. Less break between sets.
Original post by redferry
Potatoes don't have fat in...

Theyre like pure carbs. Sure if you load them with cheese and **** but not plain with margarine.

Yh with jacket potato you usually add that
Original post by ikhan94
Yh with jacket potato you usually add that

Did you not even read the OP? They have them plain.
I'd never give up potatoes.

NEVER
Reply 16
You're pretty much not eating any protein, and you should NEVER have margarine. Ever, it's terrible for you. Butter is far healthier. You need more protein and vegetables. Protein shakes are an easy way to get more protein into your diet - have one post-workout.

High intensity interval exercise is far better for fat loss than an hour of cycling. Look up Tabata - do 2-4 rounds of Tabata burpees/mountain climbers/high knees as your cardio. Incorporate squats and lunges (bodyweight work is fine to start off with, you can get an incredible workout without needing to add weights to start) and you should start seeing results.
Fitness mod incoming

OP - read the fitness FAQ and go from there. Currently, your plan will help you lose weight but not much more see here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757 Any questions you have from that - then feel free to ask in thread.

Original post by stochasticking
Hmm that is true. Increase the volume and intensity of your workouts. Less break between sets.

No that's a myth, lifting weights will not lead to you growing less. If anything it will increase your height

Original post by abc101
You're pretty much not eating any protein, and you should NEVER have margarine. Ever, it's terrible for you. Butter is far healthier.

Strong everything... what? How is butter healthier?

You need more protein and vegetables. Protein shakes are an easy way to get more protein into your diet - have one post-workout.
At this stage OP probably is just fine for protein

High intensity interval exercise is far better for fat loss than an hour of cycling. Look up Tabata - do 2-4 rounds of Tabata burpees/mountain climbers/high knees as your cardio. Incorporate squats and lunges (bodyweight work is fine to start off with, you can get an incredible workout without needing to add weights to start) and you should start seeing results.

You'll see precisely zero results off bodyweight squats and lunges unless a) been bed bound for an extended period or b) very over weight.
Barbells are a thing for a reason
Reply 18
Original post by Angry cucumber
Fitness mod incoming

OP - read the fitness FAQ and go from there. Currently, your plan will help you lose weight but not much more see here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757 Any questions you have from that - then feel free to ask in thread.

No that's a myth, lifting weights will not lead to you growing less. If anything it will increase your height

Strong everything... what? How is butter healthier?

At this stage OP probably is just fine for protein

You'll see precisely zero results off bodyweight squats and lunges unless a) been bed bound for an extended period or b) very over weight.
Barbells are a thing for a reason

If someone can't squat with perfect form with bodyweight, then no way are you adding extra weight. If someone can't perform squats at high reps at bodyweight, then no way are they going to be able to perform squats with extra weight. If you can't master your own bodyweight, there's no need (or justification) for adding extra weight. I lift heavy and still include bodyweight squats and lunges as part of my training, particularly Tabata-style. Anyone new to exercise WILL see definite results from bodyweight squats and lunges.

If you think margarine's healthier than butter you have problems 😂 Margarine, as well as tasting vile, is a synthetic product devoid of nutrients and high in potentially damaging polyunsaturated fats. Butter is rich in vitamin E and saturated fats that, contrary to popular opinion, are good for you. Plus it tastes awesome and not like crap.
Original post by abc101
If someone can't squat with perfect form with bodyweight, then no way are you adding extra weight. If someone can't perform squats at high reps at bodyweight, then no way are they going to be able to perform squats with extra weight. If you can't master your own bodyweight, there's no need (or justification) for adding extra weight. I lift heavy and still include bodyweight squats and lunges as part of my training, particularly Tabata-style. Anyone new to exercise WILL see definite results from bodyweight squats and lunges.

Perfect form doesn't exist. Yes you should be able to do a handful with no weight, but it's actually easier to do a goblet squat than a true bw squat. Counter balance etc.

If you think margarine's healthier than butter you have problems 😂 Margarine, as well as tasting vile, is a synthetic product devoid of nutrients and high in potentially damaging polyunsaturated fats. Butter is rich in vitamin E and saturated fats that, contrary to popular opinion, are good for you. Plus it tastes awesome and not like crap.

Polyunsaturated fats - you mean those fats deemed "good"? Ok. Strong science. They're better and less calorie dense than sources of sat fat.

Saturated fats are healthy in small doses. Sources of saturated fats are often higher in calories, lower in nutrients and all round not as good for you as sources of unsaturated fat. Plant fat vs animal fat. It's science.

I'm guessing you cook with lard over vegetable oil then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending