The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I achieved a B grade in every subject at GCSE level, and I am predicted 3 A's and 1 A* at A level would i have any chance at being accepted into an ivy league?
Original post by amelia may
I achieved a B grade in every subject at GCSE level, and I am predicted 3 A's and 1 A* at A level would i have any chance at being accepted into an ivy league?

Noone can predict anything off those stats alone
I've recently decided that I want to apply to Ivy League Universities for Liberal Arts. I've been umming and arrghing about whether or not I should apply for over two years. The main deterrent had been the fact that I cannot study Law until postgrad which is a pain.

However, I think I'd want to give it ago, providing I achieve the 3 A*s I'd like at A2. My currently favourites are Georgetown, Penn State, Brown, Columbia and Harvard. I've heard I need to begin preparation now
Would what you advise I do to begin?
Original post by Smithy-Smiths
I've recently decided that I want to apply to Ivy League Universities for Liberal Arts. I've been umming and arrghing about whether or not I should apply for over two years. The main deterrent had been the fact that I cannot study Law until postgrad which is a pain.

However, I think I'd want to give it ago, providing I achieve the 3 A*s I'd like at A2. My currently favourites are Georgetown, Penn State, Brown, Columbia and Harvard. I've heard I need to begin preparation now

Take the SAT. Make sure you're doing good activities outside of school. Also check out the essays to get a head start. When will you apply?

Why Penn State? It seems really random considering the others you're applying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Why Penn State? It seems really random considering the others you're applying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's still an Ivy League, I quite like it and I was intrigued by their request that I sit 2 SAT tests which I assume is free of my own volition? Although, I'm not 100% certain.

Why, what's wrong with Penn State?
It's still an Ivy League, I quite like it and I was intrigued by their request that I sit 2 SAT tests which I assume is free of my own volition? Although, I'm not 100% certain.

Why, what's wrong with Penn State?

You're talking about University of Pennsylvania. Not Penn State
Original post by Student403
Take the SAT. Make sure you're doing good activities outside of school. Also check out the essays to get a head start. When will you apply?

Thanks for your reply! I asume that I've missed the registration deadline for the SAT? I would check the website, but it seems to be down.

I have ALOT of extracurriculars, which is why I feel that my application is rather strong. Although most of my ECs centre around Politics and Debating, which leads me to wonder it wouldn't be more worthwhile applying for a Politics major.

The essays that sounds like good advice. Sorry if I sound rather inept but will the exam be computerised or handwritten? Or is it entirely dependent upon the test centre?

In terms of applying I am undecided: possible the March cycle or I may take a year out and apply for the 2017 cycle. Because my interest has been so flaky I feel like I'll need a while to familiarise myself with the American application process. And I need to research into the scholarship schemes too!
Original post by Student403
You're talking about University of Pennsylvania. Not Penn State

Oh dear, I think that faux pas attests to why I need all the help I can get!!
Oh dear, I think that faux pas attests to why I need all the help I can get!!

That's not a faux-pas, it's pretty much blind ignorance. lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's not a faux-pas, it's pretty much blind ignorance. lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha unnecessarily rude...
Haha unnecessarily rude...

It was apt, Penn State and UPenn are vastly different institutions.
Its insanely competitive

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was apt, Penn State and UPenn are vastly different institutions.

And I would clearly know that from my expansive research into the American education system...
And I would clearly know that from my expansive research into the American education system...

You clearly knew what the Ivy League was..
Reply 35
Original post by GB1999
Hey.

I'm only in my first year in my sixth-form college but I'm seriously interested in going to study abroad once I finish my A-Levels, hopefully America. The main college I've been looking at is Harvard and the main thing what got me was that, on their website, they needed their GCSE results to be on average of an A.

My GCSE results are terrible in my opinion due to me picking the wrong subjects and also me slacking off (Art and Music specifically). I believe I average on a mid-C. However, I'm currently re-doing my GCSE Maths since during the exams I was unable to attend it. I'm on the right track to get an A in my maths.

GCSE Results:
Maths: X (Hopefully an A after I take them in November)
English Language: C
English Lit: C
Core Science: C
Additional Science: B
Graphic Design: D
Art and Music: E

You do realise that Harvard is a very elite university? These results totally suck. You'd be lucky to get into a community college for a hairstylist course if this is the best you can do.
You clearly knew what the Ivy League was..

Ummm... I'm pretty sure most people have heard of Ivy Leagues... That doesn't necessarily make me an expert on the varying names and abbreviations of American colleges. I'd heard the abbreviated use of Penn State, and assumed that it was in reference to the University of Pennsylvania. I was corrected, I attempted to make light of my error, you proceeded to scathingly berate me... we're now in the midst of exchanging passive-aggressive retorts which I've grown tired of.

You've proven to be rather unsavory, but I'm sure you'd like to have the last word...
Reply 37

I advise you begin by figuring out where you are going to get about $300,000 to spend four years at Harvard and what job you plan on doing to pay it all back (armed with a Liberal Arts degree)
Ummm... I'm pretty sure most people have heard of Ivy Leagues... That doesn't necessarily make me an expert on the varying names and abbreviations of American colleges. I'd heard the abbreviated use of Penn State, and assumed that it was in reference to the University of Pennsylvania. I was corrected, I attempted to make light of my error, you proceeded to scathingly berate me... we're now in the midst of exchanging passive-aggressive retorts which I've grown tired of.

You've proven to be rather unsavory, but I'm sure you'd like to have the last word...

Hahaha, calm down bro, as they say in London 'it's not that deep'. Berate is a strong word, I prefer mindless teasing.
Reply 39
Hi I also want to go US and I'm in year 12 too. My results were awful too but I really do want to get into American university, so I'm doing all I can this year to make up for my results basically. I'm resitting maths and hopefully English next year. Also I'm taking the SAT in January or March. In addition to this I do a load of extra-curricular activities. (By the way I am smart I was just extremely lazy last year). So what I'm trying to ask is what are my chances of getting into one. ** I want to study film btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending