The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would say it's actually the other way around..
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
I was so annoyed nobody recognised what I did there, made it in powerpoint

I am happy now

Time well spent I promise you
Original post by justinetsr
We have different face shapes. We have vastly different cultures.

It's like lumping Turkey or Syria in with Europe. How many on here would say Turkey or Syria are European countries and that Turkish people are European?

The differences between India and Pakistan are greater than the differences between Europe and Turkey.

How would you feel if someone asked a Turkish or Syrian person to represent the "European" ethnicity or race?

A Pakistani isn't the same ethnicity as other South Asians. Even Pakistanis themselves prefer to relate more to Middle Easterners. Pakistanis shouldn't be used to "box-tick" for other South Asians or Indians.

They might be part of an "Asian" ethnicity, but certainly not an "Indian" ethnicity.

Omd I'm so sick of this division. We are related to many Pakistanis ethnically. Also, the location? Check a map. Yes it will continue to be box-ticked, ok. :console:

Also erm Urdu and Hindi are like this :crossedf: When my family speaks Hindi we kinda understand Urdu too, it's no problem, stop it. There's enough of a line, let's move passed it. Please and thank you. Namaskar, bai/brother.
Original post by rat poison
Omd I'm so sick of this division. We are related to many Pakistanis ethnically. Also, the location? Check a map. Yes it will continue to be box-ticked, ok. :console:

Also erm Urdu and Hindi are like this :crossedf: When my family speaks Hindi we kinda understand Urdu too, it's no problem, stop it. There's enough of a line, let's move passed it. Please and thank you. Namaskar, bai/brother.

I think the op is Indian. And (on a side note) Urdu isn't actually the native language of most Pakistanis, only the ones who immigrated from the part of India where it's spoken.
Original post by Ravenous
I think the op is Indian. And (on a side note) Urdu isn't actually the native language of most Pakistanis, only the ones who immigrated from the part of India where it's spoken.

I don't care about any of what you just wrote.
It might not be a native language but majority speak it. Why are you doin this? Stop being contrary? We are essentially one people. What is the motive here? Madness.
I am Indian and I don't care whether you identify as Indian or not ok. But stop the separation. There's enough **** between Islam and Hinduism. Done with this thread.
Original post by Rat_Bag
Indeed. Am never sure if Pakistan actually wants Kashmir to join their paradise state, them given how horrible so many are are about Mirpuris.

What do they say about mirpuris? We have similar issues with stereotyping amongst bengalis too.
Turkey can be "lumped" with Europe because a vast number of Turkish people are of European descent. You should also know that Turkey has land mass in Europe.
Original post by rat poison
I am Indian and I don't care whether you identify as Indian or not ok. But stop the separation. There's enough **** between Islam and Hinduism. Done with this thread.

There's enough **** between Islam and all religions.

It's not just about religion. There's an ethnic difference between Indians and Pakistanis too. The majority of Indians have as much reason to relate to a Pakistani as they do to Arabs or Chinese.

BTW, the Swahili language is mutually intelligible with Arabic. Do you classify Somalis as Middle Easterners?
Original post by tammie123
What do they say about mirpuris? We have similar issues with stereotyping amongst bengalis too.

Lower class, inbred, poorly educated etc

Sylhetis for you guys right?
Original post by daisychain_
Turkey can be "lumped" with Europe because a vast number of Turkish people are of European descent. You should also know that Turkey has land mass in Europe.

I mean basically this! lol I can't even bother with OP.
Original post by Rat_Bag
Indeed. Am never sure if Pakistan actually wants Kashmir to join their paradise state, them given how horrible so many are are about Mirpuris.

Tbh it's only some of the ones in the UK who are 'horrible' about Mirpuris, it's very rare for someone in Pakistan itself to be horrible about them since they only make up a tiny percentage and most people there probably won't have even heard of them.
Original post by Rat_Bag
Then you've clearly not been to these places.

Good. The diversity within the Indian subcontinent (Indian, Pakistan,Bangladesh) is probably more than Europe. Doesn't stop all these countries being closely linked with one another.

Have you been to any of these countries? The national psych in Greece is pretty much the same as that of Turkey, with just a few cosmetic differences (namely language and religion).

Deceive yourself all you want. Arabs ain't going to accept you as Middle Eastern. Truth hurts I know.

Morocco uses the Arabic script, but is quite happy without the desperate desire to be "Middle Eastern".

Tell me, are your family 'saeed'? And I guess they were born in the Punjab right (not these weak and feeble Sindhis)

Yep, a lot of today's nation states are a reflection of what outsiders did a long time ago.

Can confirm this is true (I'm Turkish)
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
Lower class, inbred, poorly educated etc

Sylhetis for you guys right?

Yes sylhet and dhaka can't stand each other. The different villages within sylhet can't stand each other either. It's so ridiculous.
Original post by Ravenous

True, it's a language imported into Pakistan by the Nawabs of Uttar Pradesh and other parts of India.

I'm given to understand that in Pakistan, Urdu is seen as the "civilized" language of the educated, whereas actual native languages of Punjabi, Sindhi, Pashto etc. are seen as the languages of illiterate villagers.:dontknow:

Even Gujarati, the mother tongue of Jinnah (father of Pakistan) is a virtually dead language in Karachi where it used to be widely spoken.
Funnily enough, Jinnah could hardly even speak, read or write Urdu and yet wanted to make it the official language of Pakistan!
They get 'lumped in' with Indian ethnicity because the ethnicities are incredibly similar. That is literally all there is to it
Original post by daisychain_
Can confirm this is true (I'm Turkish)

Proud, nationalist, militaristic, macho-mediterranean, dislike criticism, makes religious identity an issue without actually following it, harks back to the past glories of their own empire, believes outsiders are trying to undermine the country......same food
Original post by Rat_Bag
Proud, nationalist, militaristic, macho-mediterranean, dislike criticism, makes religious identity an issue without actually following it, harks back to the past glories of their own empire, believes outsiders are trying to undermine the country......same food

Omg chill a country's politics doesn't define its people
Original post by Rat_Bag

Don't generalise :naughty:
Original post by Jack1066
They get 'lumped in' with Indian ethnicity because the ethnicities are incredibly similar. That is literally all there is to it

The Middle East is very similar to Europe too, as is India and East Asia. Indians are also anthropologically very similar to Arabs, who themselves are similar to Europeans.

Surely the ethnicities should be redefined to better reflect reality?

Latest