The Student Room Group

German woman evicted from home to make way for refugees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plagioclase
If you saw someone fall down and seriously injure themselves when you're out, would you also ignore them because it's "not your fault"? Just because we're not directly responsible for the war they're fleeing from doesn't mean that we don't have a moral responsibility as human beings to care for other fellow humans who are in need, since we'd expect the same if we were unfortunate enough to be in their position.

You're doing the equivalent of an angry toddler screaming "It's not my problem! It's not my problem!". Turkey already has well over a million refugees, they've done a done already - and they're a lot poorer than us. We have resources to do much more to help and we should be proud to help. You're just saying "let someone else deal with it" - just like walking past someone seriously injured in the street because "someone else will deal with it".

Saving somebody in the street is very different from taking into account the financial and ethno-cultural considerations.

But yes, i don't feel it's our problem and i don't consider it in our self interest. I feel bad for the guys but i won't allow emotion to cloud my judgement.. these people can go elsewhere.
Original post by Rakas21
Saving somebody in the street is very different from taking into account the financial and ethno-cultural considerations.

But yes, i don't feel it's our problem and i don't consider it in our self interest. I feel bad for the guys but i won't allow emotion to cloud my judgement.. these people can go elsewhere.

Emotion isn't "clouding" anything - you're acting as if it's shameful or stupid to do something altruistic. Why are you so adamant not to help other people who need help?
Emotion isn't "clouding" anything - you're acting as if it's shameful or stupid to do something altruistic. Why are you so adamant not to help other people who need help?

'other people'.

I am categorically not suggesting that we don't help people (UK donations are the second largest globally) however i simply recognise that our responsibility ends at our borders and our self interest does not include third world countries.

I'm sorry if I'm showing emotion but people who have attitudes like yourself make me so angry.

You can show all the emotion you like, with no need to apologise. Just don't think it is any reason to pursue a policy not in our nation's interest. The government don't agree with you and they are supported by a majority of public opinion.

We don't determine our asylum and refugee policy to make lefties feel better about themselves. We have to think about cost, and social cohesion, and (let's be honest) not allowing hundreds of thousands of Muslims to settle here.

However, if you feel really strongly, I would suggest you volunteer at a refugee charity? It would be interesting and worthwhile and make you feel as if you were doing some good.
Original post by Gears265
Bornblue logic: "The Daily Mail falsely reports on stories and is not credible, unless Ashcroft writes a book about Cameron or they attack UKIP (which is everyday), other than that you should not believe a word from the Daily Mail"

The Daily Mail attacks UKIP?! HHAHHAHAHAHH
They peddle the UKIP line and vote tories out of practicality.
Original post by Rakas21
Since when did the BNP support more or less free movement with a billion people as I do.

I just don't see why immigration must equal diversity. I like not seeing women in Burka's and being in a white country.

Funny how all the people you don't like are black or brown.7
You'd have been the type who swung behind Mosley and argued for us to slam our borders shut to Jews fleeing from Nazi persecution.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bornblue
Funny how all the people you don't like are black or brown.7
You'd have been the type who swung behind Mosley and argued for us to slam our borders shut to Jews fleeing from Nazi persecution.

Not at all. Jews were wealthy, many were of European descent and they cause no trouble.
Original post by Rakas21
Its disgusting that Germany, Italy and Greece don't care about the ethno-cultural makeup of their country.

If these places want a million immigrants then open the border with North America but keep this third world horde out, we don't want them.

You sound rather emotional.

You use words that with the desired effect to create an emotional response.

Who is this we? The 'we' that voted for Syrizia, an immigrant horde friendly party, again after all that country has been through?

Original post by Rakas21
Not at all. Jews were wealthy, many were of European descent and they cause no trouble.

They weren't all wealthy at all...Some of them were even dangerous Marxists and put their children into government!

Lots of Jews live together in Manchester and Salford. They wear orthodox clothes, marry to other orthodox Jews. They have unique cultural traditions. I'm surprised you don't find that disgusting.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21

So you'll only save someone's life if they're wealthy?
Also what a prejudiced stereotype of 'all Jews are rich bankers'.

My grandpa came over from Poland as a 14 year old boy, he was from a poor family and spoke no English, were we wrong to let him in?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You sound rather emotional.

You use words that with the desired effect to create an emotional response.

Who is this we? The 'we' that voted for Syrizia, an immigrant horde friendly party, again after all that country has been through?

They weren't all wealthy at all...Some of them were even dangerous Marxists and put their children into government!

Lots of Jews live together in Manchester and Salford. They wear orthodox clothes, marry to other orthodox Jews. They have unique cultural traditions. I'm surprised you don't find that disgusting.

He's a strange one. Economically he's fairly decent , even if I disagree with him he backs his opinions up well and doesn't just toe a party line.

Socially however he's very Bnp- goes on about 'British values' and immigrants ruining our 'ethnic culture and way of life'.
So you'll only save someone's life if they're wealthy?
Also what a prejudiced stereotype of 'all Jews are rich bankers'.

My grandpa came over from Poland as a 14 year old boy, he was from a poor family and spoke no English, were we wrong to let him in?

Nonsense, I'm the one that calls for military action.

Since he spoke no English, yes. But on aggregate they have been as a group fairly well off so not stereotyping in this context.

He's a strange one. Economically he's fairly decent , even if I disagree with him he backs his opinions up well and doesn't just toe a party line.

Socially however he's very Bnp- goes on about 'British values' and immigrants ruining our 'ethnic culture and way of life'.

I'm all for immigrants and lack their social conservatism when looking at social issues as a whole. You've fixated on one policy area.
Why aren't the Guardian or their broadcast wing (BBC) reporting on this?
Pushing their agenda again, just like the Daily Mail do, but apparently in a more acceptable way even though its exactly the same
Original post by Rakas21
Nonsense, I'm the one that calls for military action.

Since he spoke no English, yes. But on aggregate they have been as a group fairly well off so not stereotyping in this context.

I'm all for immigrants and lack their social conservatism when looking at social issues as a whole. You've fixated on one policy area.

Most Jews at the time dos not speak English.
Glad that you're annoyed we let Jews fleeing from nazi persecution in.

Some of your views would be on the lighter side of the nazi party- never mind the bnp.

Sorry, I have something resembling a life and so I don't have time to read up to page three of every random thread to ensure it doesn't cover a topic I want to post about.

In any case, not sure why you're butthurt about this being discussed?
All the people talking about how German refugees were allowed into Britain during WWII clearly don't remember their history very well. They let them in, but they didn't just blindly trust them the way you're doing today.

http://spartacus-educational.com/2WWgermansBR.htm
In September 1939, the police arrested a large number of Germans living in Britain. The government feared that these people might be Nazi spies pretending to be refugees. They were interned and held in various camps all over Britain. Like other refugees they were eventually appeared before tribunals which classified them into three different groups. 'A' class aliens were interned, whereas 'B' class aliens were allowed to leave the camps but had certain restrictions placed upon their movements. The vast majority of refugees were identified as 'C' class aliens and were allowed to go free.

On 12th May, 1940, who was in charge of national security, ordered the arrests of over 2,000 male aliens living in coastal areas. A few days later all 'B' class aliens were rounded up and placed into internment camps. Winston Churchill defended this policy by claiming that it was necessary to "collar the lot".
I would say the refugees could be allowed in, but only if they're interned somewhere to be screened. Just bear in mind, you did this to Germans during World War II.

I get that people are compassionate these days, but I swear it seems like people have hearts so big that it overpowers their brains. Any kind of rational thought on the population issue becomes morally repugnant.

People say that there's no way to stop the refugees from coming, or to keep them under control. What they really mean is that they're not willing to do what it would take, and feel that the options they find morally acceptable would require them to let in anyone who wants to be there. They want to rescue everyone, leaving no one behind in the war zone, out of sheer morality and compassion and without considering the impact of having ALL of them in Europe.

I think it's worth reiterating that few people are seriously suggesting getting rid of the refugees that are already in Europe. What people are mostly asking for is not to have to take any more refugees. Or at least to slow them down as much as possible. I don't think that's unreasonable given the sheer numbers. Over a million people in less than a year, and who knows how many in the next ten.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gladders
I did read it - and I didn't dismiss the article, just having a healthy skepticism of sources and requesting confirmation with a second source. The Mail still has a shoddy track record of reliability so I'll not accept it until it's reported by another.

Remarkably, the Mail article (like any article) reports facts (or claimed facts) which you can then corroborate with something known as the internet. Or, at least that's what an intelligent, curious person would do.

I suppose some people prefer to sit on their butt to wait until an "approved" paper has told them what to think.

It's pretty transparent and faintly pathetic that you are so desperate to avoid discussing the story that you won't do a quick google search to work out for yourself whether it's true or not
Some people care more about being a decent human being and helping other desperate people than satisfying their childish, racist and xenophobic prejudices.

What's decent about throwing a 50 year old woman out of her home?
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
You talk as if ethnicity means anything at all - it really doesn't matter what race someone is...

I think the vast majority of people couldn't care less about race. It's the values and cultural beliefs that are tied to various foreign immigrants that people object to.

If the people coming from Somalia and Pakistan were basically like New Zealanders or something, then nobody would give a crap they were foreign or of another race. But given what we actually are getting is 7th century warlordism and tribal nonsense par excellence, strangely enough some people do have a problem with it
Of course they don't care. The UK offers the most attractive benefits package - once the immigrants have got their citizenship through Germany they'll **** off and come here.
The Daily Mail attacks UKIP?! HHAHHAHAHAHH
They peddle the UKIP line and vote tories out of practicality.

Yet during the Euro elections and General elections they released story after story smearing UKIP, Farage and the party members. Have you ever read the comment section? UKIP supporters slate the DM all the time, it is a pro-Tory paper and therefore an Anti-UKIP paper you fool. Why would a TORY paper support UKIP?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending