The Student Room Group

9am lectures/practicals can't cope!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
It gets easier in the sense you'll eventually start waking up on time...but yeah it's not exactly fun.

There's actually reams of research now to suggest people have different natural sleeping patterns. For quite a lot of people they just can't adapt. Getting used to it just means get used to being sleep deprived to the point you forget what it feels like to be properly awake.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
There's actually reams of research now to suggest people have different natural sleeping patterns. For quite a lot of people they just can't adapt. Getting used to it just means get used to being sleep deprived to the point you forget what it feels like to be properly awake.

Which can be slowly changed. You won't just wake up on day and be able to do 9-5 like it's no one's business. But there are ways to work around it.

Sleep is segmented into cycles. REM and non REM. If you're forced to wake up not completing cycles properly you'll feel like ****, so over time you shift your sleep cycles. It's a pain in the arse to try to explain. But it works, unless you have a sleep disorder in which case you need something else.
Reply 42
Original post by SophieSmall
Ahh I didn't see this bit. I had problems with the same thing in first year when I was in halls. Halls is an absolute **** hole if you plan to get any sleep whatsoever. Just be sure not to go with halls again, and when finding somewhere new to live in 2nd year try to pick people you know aren't loud, constant party goers and who take uni seriously...otherwise your second year house will resemble halls just on a smaller scale.

Yes it's really insurable sometimes.
ITT: Bunch of boring killjoys.
I get up at 6am and have to clock into work and start my shift at 7.30am. That's when I'm doing early shifts, then when I do evenings/nights it's totally different. If I tried to do what I do now 6 months ago it would never have happened. You have to adjust things e.g. time you eat your evening meal/go to bed. You need to change your schedule and stick to it - it's difficult to begin with but you will adjust.

You need to adjust to it now whilst you're a student or else you'll be sacked once you're in the working world. 9am is a pretty standard start time for a lot of jobs, but then again you might end up in one like mine which has varying shift patterns.
You need to make a formal complaint and copy it to your HoD.

At some unis, a warning is given for loud parties, then a £100 fine. The next offence means instant termination of the hall agreement with no refund of any money and a ban from uni accommodation throughout your course .

The party goers need to grow up.
Original post by somethingbeautiful

You need to adjust to it now whilst you're a student or else you'll be sacked once you're in the working world. 9am is a pretty standard start time for a lot of jobs, but then again you might end up in one like mine which has varying shift patterns.

You didn't read the OP carefully enough to realise that this is nothing to do with getting into a work routine and being able to get up in the morning, did you?
Original post by Good bloke
You didn't read the OP carefully enough to realise that this is nothing to do with getting into a work routine and being able to get up in the morning, did you?

No :s-smilie:, I just skim read it. Just got home from work and was trying to help some one out. Probably should have had a cup of tea first.

OP. Report them. In the meantime, invest in ear plugs. In first year I used drumming ear plugs - they were fantastic (Alpine/Vic Firth - the rubber flappy bits work a treat).
Reply 48
Original post by Frostyjoe
Hi,

Basically I've got 3 9am classes this week and I am finding it incredibly hard to get to them! I got to the first one but I missed today's one because I slept in to 9:30, the thing was it was a practical otherwise I would've went.

I am really annoyed about it because I had an opportunity to get there but I didn't. There was partying to 4am last night in my halls so as you can imagine it's going to be pretty hard to get up for an 8am class.

It's not struggling to get up at 8am which is my problem, it's the partying at 3-4am which is my problem. Teachers seem to be very unsympathetic for people struggling with 9am lectures, I can kind of understand their viewpoint but then at the same time I can understand the other end of the stick aswell.

I don't really know what to do, to be honest I've tried my best to adapt to the partying but it's not really working. I can't really force myself to get up if I am going to sleep my alarms, I have made an effort to set many alarms so far and none of them have worked. There's really much I can hope to do if there is partying.

Does anyone have any advice?

The partying doesn't really wake me up tbh, I used to go to bed at around 10 or 11PM but my sleep schedule is pretty much obliterated and I don't even go out that much. My flatmates coming in at 4AM isn't that bad because they settle down quickly but the thing that keeps me awake is the kid in the flat next to me, he plays his computer games for like 12 hours per day so his sleep schedule is really bad but he makes loads of noise (shouting at his game, he cooks his "dinner" anywhere between 10PM and 4AM, he sometimes has showers at around 2AM and makes so much noise).
Buy some earplugs and get something heavy to lay down at the bottom of your door to try to block out sound. I had 9AM lectures virtually every day of my first year in halls. You've just got to deal with it. You can buy foam earplugs on Amazon for super cheap.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
You're not taking responsibility. Yes, your flat/housemates shouldn't be partying until 4 am but you should have told them to shut up. If you live in halls you should be able to contact a porter if they're being noisy beyond a certain time to sort out the situation.

Your lecturers aren't going to change the times of your lectures or move you to different groups because you don't want to make the effort to get up. Somebody has to have lectures at 9 am and it happens to be you right now. Very few students will avoid 9 ams throughout their entire degree.

If there was an award for "most insensitive advice" you'd get it.
Original post by ChickenMadness
ITT: Bunch of boring killjoys.

You'll never get a job with such an obnoxious attitude. One day, you'll have to grow up and accept the world does not revolve around you.
Original post by daydreamer394
You'll never get a job with such an obnoxious attitude. One day, you'll have to grow up and accept the world does not revolve around you.

Lol at you thinking you can tell that from 4 words and an abbreviation.
Do you have someone who can call you to get up in the morning, and check that you are up (and that you stay up)? I sleep through my alarm a lot but for some reason I usually wake up when I get a phone call so long as my phone is not on vibrate mode.
Original post by chazwomaq
Count yourself lucky that every day doesn't start at 09:00 or earlier. Goodness, lots of people have to get up at 07:00 to commute to work. Most uni students have little more than a short stroll from their residences.

Are you saying that it's other people partying that keeps you awake, rather than partaking yourself? If so, I recommend ear plugs.

Yeah 9 am lectures are hard it must be aganst human rights
Reply 55
Not sure how it works at your halls but at my uni if you are loud after midnight and someone reports you to the tutor/warden you have to pay a fine.
Try asking them to calm down or just call the security/speak to the warden... I know its halls and uni, and people want to party but lets not forget you went to uni to get a degree.
Usually if they have to pay 50 pounds each, they will keep to noise level down next time
Reply 56
Try a formal complaint. If they can't do anything to fix the problem then maybe you could be moved to a different room. Other than that you could try to have two shorter sleeps per day rather than one long one. You know, take a nap in the afternoon before they start their parties, and then one after they stop partying; this could at least be a temporary solution to prevent you from being a complete zombie.
When earplugs aren't enough, what really works *amazingly well* is put earbuds in your ears and play white noise. Just do a search for a "white noise" app for your phone. Seriously, it's amazing how much noise you can block out that way.
Reply 58
im at uni, and often have to get up at 6am on a Saturday AND Sunday to commute to work which is 2 hours away, and I still make it in for a 9am lecture Monday morning... what I do is that I put loads and I mean 8 or 9 alarms on your phone, set them to automatically switch off after 5 minutes, but set your next alarm for the time that the previous alarm finishes.... but set the alarm as something completely different so it changes, that wakes you up most of the time
Christ, OP needs to toughen up a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending