which way are you heading?
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Yes
Almost everyone in my biology and maths class :cry:
In chemistry i am considered one of the smartest:u:

Chem, the smartest? Help me, brudda.
Reply 22
Original post by Awesome Genius
Yeh except I have a first class degree from Oxford.

that doesn't show intelligence on its own. 2 people with a 1st. one doesn't need to do any work.

the other needs to read his notes after lecture, spend hours and hours preparing for exams and assignments.

both get a 1st. doesn't show who is the cleverer one on the face of it.
considering that most people are smarter than me...yeah.
Original post by rat poison
Chem, the smartest? Help me, brudda.

What you need help on?
Original post by toonervoustotalk
What you need help on?

Everything. I had to take it twice. Not currently taking, I'm at Uni but I always had an issue with counting atoms and stuff. I think it's mainly because I didn't pay attention.
Everyday :laugh:
Original post by pbw
that doesn't show intelligence on its own. 2 people with a 1st. one doesn't need to do any work.

the other needs to read his notes after lecture, spend hours and hours preparing for exams and assignments.

both get a 1st. doesn't show who is the cleverer one on the face of it.

Isn't tru bro - lots of people, even if they read books constantly, couldn't get a first at oxford. It's not all about fact regurgitation.
Nah I'm smarter than everyone else in everything :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Imperion
Everyday :laugh:

every time I meet someone
Original post by rat poison
Everything. I had to take it twice. Not currently taking, I'm at Uni but I always had an issue with counting atoms and stuff. I think it's mainly because I didn't pay attention.

Ok fair enough.
I want to do chemistry at uni :tongue:
Number of moles multiplied by avogadro's constant
Reply 31
Isn't tru bro - lots of people, even if they read books constantly, couldn't get a first at oxford. It's not all about fact regurgitation.

someone of equal intelligence to you, but doesn't put any work in and gets a 2.2. are you cleverer than him? simply because he is lazier than you and prefers sleeping in?
I think that happens to me more than once a day :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pbw
every time I meet someone

:laugh: Not really. You've met someone less intelligent than you.
Original post by pbw
someone of equal intelligence to you, but doesn't put any work in and gets a 2.2. are you cleverer than him? simply because he is lazier than you and prefers sleeping in?

It's wrong to think that someone does badly just because they don't put work in lol

It might be true at GCSE level but when you're talking about Oxbridge, it's different.

It's generally true that if you put more work in then you do better but it's not that straight forward.

Some of the people I knew worked very hard, did way more rote learning and revision than me and got a 2:1 whereas I got a first.
It is worth pointing out that people are incredibly poor at assessing their own ability. Mediocre people tend to overinflate their abilities and downplay the abilities of others, while generally smart people tend to underestimate their own abilities.

Some of the answers in the thread are great examples of that.

Here's a great paper on it: http://www.troutinmilk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Unskilled-and-Unaware-of-It.pdf
Reply 36
Original post by Changing Skies
I think that happens to me more than once a day :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I bet you don't meet people more beautiful than you everyday :lovehug:
Reply 37
It's wrong to think that someone does badly just because they don't put work in lol

It might be true at GCSE level but when you're talking about Oxbridge, it's different.

It's generally true that if you put more work in then you do better but it's not that straight forward.

Some of the people I knew worked very hard, did way more rote learning and revision than me and got a 2:1 whereas I got a first.

sou slept in and only attended half your classes and submitted only half your work in on time, you'd still get a first?
It's hard to accept that someone else can be more intelligent than you, isn't it?

It's happened twice to me. An Oxford neurosciences professor and one of my friends from school that I still keep in touch with - he became an academic.

Both were males. Haven't found any females I'd say were as smart as me, yet.
I have met many people who are far more intelligent than me, and I've met far more people who are stupider than me.

But I've never met anyone more narcissistic than you.
I've met loads of people who are cleverer than I am. Then again, I suppose being clever is subjective.

I'd probably place myself in the middle, perhaps slightly below average in some things. I don't mind though, since I've got a fairly sharp emotional intelligence and can read people like books.

My biggest observation is that "the cleverest" tend to suffer with a terrible ego, have perfectionist tendencies and love to "one-up" you all the time. I once had a friend who was the best at English whereas I struggled through, but when I got a higher result in my coursework, she demanded that mine should be remarked! Sadly, it's very rare to meet a very clever person who can be considered a genuine friend in my experience.

Latest