The Student Room Group

Should cigarettes be made illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Banning them would be incredibly short sighted. How many people voted yes but at the same time probably want drugs legalised? :rolleyes:
Reply 21
Original post by Jammy Duel
The important part of personal finance is the personal bit, it is for the
individual to decide how to spend their income, post tax, not the state, so that's somewhat of a moot point. As for drugs and sex slave making loads, that is for the individuals, not the exchequer, and I think that it doesn't go on the GDP figure either, although I may be wrong on that part.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would agree on the personal bit, although cigarettes are so expensive in the UK therefore the benefits from making smoking illegal would be huge in terms of health and personal finance. I presumed drugs and prostitution contributed to GDP because both industries are in the billions moneywise.
Never smoked and never will but it is not my place to support the banning of people making the conscience choice to smoke themselves. Besides, if it is banned what are people going to turn to? Something "worse" no doubt.
Original post by CAElite
Holy sh*t. The rest of the world is progressively deregulating and decriminalising "potentially harmful substances" in the name of libertarian values and to allow people to get the help they want without the police looking over their shoulder. Only the UK would be so backward as to go entirely in the other direction.

Other drugs do not directly harm anyone but the user. Tobacco does. A libertarian may well be in favour of the decriminalisation of other substances on the grounds that the user should be free to harm themselves if that's what they desire, but the regulation of tobacco is a completely different argument.

(I suppose you could argue that there's such a thing as second-hand cannabis smoke, but for now that's irrelevant. Nobody publicly smokes cannabis when there are lots of non-users around).
Original post by Hugs31
I would agree on the personal bit, although cigarettes are so expensive in the UK therefore the benefits from making smoking illegal would be huge in terms of health and personal finance. I presumed drugs and prostitution contributed to GDP because both industries are in the billions moneywise.

As I said, I'm not too sure as to whether the black markets get included, not least due to difficulty in estimating value. Also, remember that gdp is in the trillions.

If we want to go personal finance, then should we not also ban alcohol, fine foods, sports and luxury cars, holidays abroad, most things that the department of Culture, Media and Sports are responsible for, etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arbolus
Other drugs do not directly harm anyone but the user. Tobacco does. A libertarian may well be in favour of the decriminalisation of other substances on the grounds that the user should be free to harm themselves if that's what they desire, but the regulation of tobacco is a completely different argument.

(I suppose you could argue that there's such a thing as second-hand cannabis smoke, but for now that's irrelevant. Nobody publicly smokes cannabis when there are lots of non-users around).

Most others may not have a direct hit on others, but one could argue that indirect is just as bad. Definitely in terms of years lost, I'm fairly sure that alcohol is way more damaging for bystanders than drinkers, or at the very least harming others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Prohibition doesn't work.

No.
Reply 27
As I said, I'm not too sure as to whether the black markets get included, not least due to difficulty in estimating value. Also, remember that gdp is in the trillions.

If we want to go personal finance, then should we not also ban alcohol, fine foods, sports and luxury cars, holidays abroad, most things that the department of Culture, Media and Sports are responsible for, etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose the argument there is that smoking doesn't just affect the smoker but those around them, alcohol is kind of the same but the others you mentioned not so much. It's a tricky one though because the measures in place already impose strict regulations on smoking, banning it altogether won't perhaps see as big an improvement.
Yes, we should ban everything we don't like. Personal choices are over-rated.
Original post by Hugs31
I suppose the argument there is that smoking doesn't just affect the smoker but those around them, alcohol is kind of the same but the others you mentioned not so much. It's a tricky one though because the measures in place already impose strict regulations on smoking, banning it altogether won't perhaps see as big an improvement.

All the things listed can be very expensive, and since I was going on your personal finance argument, should all be banned so that so many more people are sat on hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, because they have nothing to spend it on, bar emigration. Emigration aside, you would then be looking at a messed up economy; I'm inclined to think depression, mass unemployment, low wage growth or even wage contraction and/or very high inflation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I voted to ban cigarettes the main reasons are second hand smoke which should be classed as assault(smokers harm the health of those around them, which is not fair on non-smokers).This something most smokers seem to completely forget about and most them smoke very close to people.There is also the environmental problems of smoking with smoke contaminating the atmosphere("Three cigarettes can cause more air pollution than a diesel car's exhaust, according to an Italian study."), do we want to increase air pollution?.Tobacco workers are also susceptible to GTS.

http://smoking.ygoy.com/smoking-and-the-environment/
http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_127.pdf
http://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20040823/smoking-worse-than-exhaust-for-air-pollution
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE=Arbolus;60107829]Other drugs do not directly harm anyone but the user. Tobacco does. A libertarian may well be in favour of the decriminalisation of other substances on the grounds that the user should be free to harm themselves if that's what they desire, but the regulation of tobacco is a completely different argument.

We should ban cars then because emissions directly affect pedestrians quality of air and respiratory systems?
Smoking is banned in many public places but not all - I still see copious amounts of people smoking at bustops and train stations. Cannot stand it. Needs to be banned from anywhere public in my opinion
Original post by Dalek1099
I voted to ban cigarettes the main reasons are second hand smoke which should be classed as assault(smokers harm the health of those around them, which is not fair on non-smokers).This something most smokers seem to completely forget about and most them smoke very close to people.There is also the environmental problems of smoking with smoke contaminating the atmosphere.Tobacco workers are also susceptible to GTS.

http://smoking.ygoy.com/smoking-and-the-environment/
http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_127.pdf

So we should also ban cars, trains, planes, all electrical appliances, anything that requires power to produce, planes, boats. Actually, let's be really facetious, ban life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
YES. All these arguments were made against banning it in public places. Ban this unhealthy, disgusting product and gradually feel the benefits...
Original post by jammy duel
so we should also ban cars, trains, planes, all electrical appliances, anything that requires power to produce, planes, boats. Actually, let's be really facetious, ban life.

posted from tsr mobile

no fun, not ever
Original post by Zargabaath
no fun, not ever

It's the exact same logic that was being applied in the quoted post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most others may not have a direct hit on others, but one could argue that indirect is just as bad. Definitely in terms of years lost, I'm fairly sure that alcohol is way more damaging for bystanders than drinkers, or at the very least harming others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the indirect effects, the drug is merely a contributing factor. The user is still responsible for their own actions. Someone might get in a rage when drunk and start beating his/her partner, but they would still be a s***** person prone to violent outbursts even if it wasn't for the alcohol. The crime then should be in the abuse, not in the drinking.
Original post by King Leonidas
Nah, let smokers increase the risk of getting cancer.

Cigs act as a natural cleanser of the gene pool.

Nomsayian.

Incorrect, cancer from smoking is largely developed in mid-late life. More than enough time to reproduce plenty!
It's the exact same logic that was being applied in the quoted post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with your post 100%, the damaging the environment thing seems like a really wishy washy argument. Most people who oppose it decide they oppose it and then find reasons to oppose it. Instead of the other way around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending