The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Those poll results really show something. Does it matter if the person treating you has a veil on or not? How do you know that that person isn't extremely skilled in what they are doing, and could potentially save your life?

If the person who is treating you is performing some sort of surgery, surely, in a few cases, you'll be asleep anyway. So this 'initmidating' argument could be cancelled out for those cases. People saying it's a security risk should take a long hard look at themselves and stop generalising the few nuts to an entire religion, you should be ashamed of yourselves. What if you were born into a muslim family in a muslim country, where your doctors, surgeons and nurses wore religious attire like headscards and veils?
Original post by rat poison
Do you realize I'm agreeing with you? I was presenting a scenario where masks are used and how crazy it would be to ask them to remove the masks, so put the veil in that same scenario, and you'd look foolish.

You didn't, actually. Most midwives wouldn't wear a mask for a normal delivery. Obstetricians would for a C-section and possibly for forceps, but not always, and would have met the patient before while not wearing one, so your example is ridiculous.
(edited 8 years ago)
Here's a suggestion, why don't niqabis only work on female patients so they can show their face if the patient asks for it?
Original post by Helenia
You didn't, actually. Most midwives wouldn't wear a mask for a normal delivery. Obstetricians would for a C-section and possibly for forceps, but not always, and would have met the patient before while not wearing one, so your example is ridiculous.

I didn't what?

Well birth delivery, whatever the freaking situation is. Some kind of gory operation where masks are used.

But judging by this you're not agreeing on the veil :rolleyes:

In any event I was agreeing with him because we both seem to not disagree with veils.
Original post by geniequeen48
Here's a suggestion, why don't niqabis only work on female patients so they can show their face if the patient asks for it?

Because the NHS is already stretched and can ill afford to have to pander to people who won't work with half the patients.
Original post by tazarooni89
Okay, it's fine to wear surgical masks at all those moments then. But then it should also be fine to wear veils at those moments too (i.e. leave it to the doctor's discretion).

I have seen no example provided in this thread, of any situation in which a veil creates some kind of detrimental effect in a hospital where a surgical mask does not. And so there is no reason at any time, for one to be banned but for the other not to be.

Apparently my example was "ridiculous," because "masks aren't used during birth deliveries" but whatever. Basically I'm saying it's ridiculous to ask someone to remove a mask so it's ridiculous to ask someone to remove a veil. The example was meant to be absurd in any event.
Original post by Craig1998
What if you were born into a muslim family in a muslim country, where your doctors, surgeons and nurses wore religious attire like headscards and veils?

Well, you'd be living in a country with inferior health amenities, and where death and illness rates are far higher than they are in the west. You wouldn't be educated enough to understand the implications of the loss of communication implicit in the wearing of veils.
Apparently my example was "ridiculous," because "masks aren't used during birth deliveries" but whatever. Basically I'm saying it's ridiculous to ask someone to remove a mask so it's ridiculous to ask someone to remove a veil. The example was meant to be absurd in any event.

But masks are only worn in some situations. A veil would be worn always, including those situations where surgeons do not wear masks, when they are communicating with their patients.
Original post by Good bloke
But masks are only worn in some situations. A veil would be worn always, including those situations where surgeons do not wear masks, when they are communicating with their patients.

Then tell her lift it up for a second or gtfo, like whatever, so done with this conversation.
Reply 269
well... i'm muslim myself, I wear the hijab and it even intimidates me. I know i should be all like "oh freedom they can wear what they want" but come on! this is a job that requires you to reassure patients and talk to them and interact with them and that's really hard and uncomfortable to do when all you see is a pair of eyes peering at you from inside a black hole. I like seeing people's faces when they react to things and the way they speak to you etc...

Hell I went to pick up my little brother from his primary school and the teachers couldn't tell whose mum was whose! They were giving out children like it was happy days... Serious problems can arise, your child could be kidnapped you know!

Idk i wouldn't agree...specially here in Britain in the NHS... the face covering isn't even compulsory, you CAN show your face

if you are really really insisting on wearing it then maybe you shouldn't work in a hospital under the NHS in Britain I think :smile:

MY OPINION YOU CAN'T BASH ME :biggrin:
Because the NHS is already stretched and can ill afford to have to pander to people who won't work with half the patients.

Hmm, cool.
Original post by Jawline?
To deny that Muslims are doing more damage than any other minority in the UK right now is simply someone in denial.

If you cannot see the damage they are causing then I suggest you open your eyes.

In fact, if you're fortunate enough, mingle with some Muslims, the fundamental types, and you'll see what they really think of non-believers/white people and how they actual insult non-believers whenever they have the chance - you'll probably find what you see quite shocking. (I say this as someone who is Asian but not a follower of religion).

Then again, lots of people don't even consider what they might think in their enclosed communities but see them as people who just 'keep themselves to themselves'. No, it's not like that, they really think you're stuff at the bottom of their shoe (the fundamental types that is, which is the majority of Muslims).

What's the difference between these fundamental Muslims and the Britain FIrst types? Whoa re also fundamentalists? Besides, the word "fundamentalism" in itself isn't a bad thing, because fundamentally Muslims all believe in God, as do Christians. Extremists is perhaps a better term

I bet you don't even know any Muslims. I know plenty who don't "live in enclosed communities" DId I also mention to you that I'm from a Muslim family, I live with around 7/8 people now, who largely aren't Muslim, around half of them are girls and I know quite a few from uni as well, who are also not "the fundamental types"

Youre tarnishing Muslims, because you want someone to blame for your ills. The likes of AJC get even less of a fringe following than say..Paul Golding
I didn't what?

Well birth delivery, whatever the freaking situation is. Some kind of gory operation where masks are used.

But judging by this you're not agreeing on the veil :rolleyes:

In any event I was agreeing with him because we both seem to not disagree with veils.

You didn't present a scenario in which masks would be used. You just created some hysterical nonsense.

I don't think doctors should wear a face veil. I'm intrigued that you say you've met many who do, as I've never met one in my career in the NHS.
Original post by Helenia

I don't think doctors should wear a face veil. I'm intrigued that you say you've met many who do, as I've never met one in my career in the NHS.

And I have never seen one, or even a picture of one in my life (which is somewhat longer than your career, albeit less in the company of doctors).
Original post by Helenia
You didn't present a scenario in which masks would be used. You just created some hysterical nonsense.

Oh ffs then put that same patient's reaction to a scenario where there would be masks used. Stop nagging me about silliness and understand the point I was making. It was meant to be hysterical nonsense, thank you. You get the point. It would be in fact ridiculous to ask someone to remove their surgical mask :u:

Original post by Helenia

I don't think doctors should wear a face veil.

Ok and our conversation ends there, feel free to quote, I won't respond. Good day.
Do you realize I'm agreeing with you? I was presenting a scenario where masks are used and how crazy it would be to ask them to remove the masks, so put the veil in that same scenario, and you'd look foolish.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood your post.

I thought you were saying that it's ridiculous to have such strongly enforceable rules for surgical masks, but for some reason not applying the same reasoning to veils.
But I think we did establish that both would cause problems if worn at the wrong time, and that surgeons don't wear masks at the wrong time.

They may well both cause problems if worn at the wrong time. But if you're trusting a doctor's professional judgement as to when is the wrong or right time to wear a surgical mask, then I don't really see why you need strict enforceable rules when it comes to veils, instead of leaving that to the doctor's discretion as well.

Why not just have one approach to dealing with all face coverings, rather than having a different set of rules depending on precisely what you are using to cover your face?
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry, I must have misunderstood your post.

I thought you were saying that it's ridiculous to have such strongly enforceable rules for surgical masks, but for some reason not applying the same reasoning to veils.

No. I was saying, it would be eccentric to be wheeled into the operation room and then demand everyone take their masks off. Someone said nurses show their face beforehand but tbh Idc. I don't see why I need to see someone's face at the hospital; just sew me closed or give me medicine, Idk lol
I'd know who they are based on their nametag or something. I doubt anyone is so special to be that person tricked into going into an operating room with a serial killer in a fake doctor's garb and with an alias on a fake name tag and no other employer noticed. I mean it's stupid. If I'm in a country where the niqab is highly enforced, and I need medical attention, I wouldn't run for my life, I'd grab their hand regardless and ask for help.

People are so hateful; and if the niqab isn't worn, anyway according to Ms Helenia over here, then why on earth is it a damn conversation???
I don't really see why you need strict enforceable rules when it comes to veils, instead of leaving that to the doctor's discretion as well.

On the grounds that I believe there are no doctors in the UK who would wear a veil, as it is an obvious no-no, I agree. The first time I hear of one will be when I disagree and say that a rule would need to be brought in to protect the public from someone with so little professional discretion.
It's Dr Helenia, if you're going to be like that. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending