The Student Room Group

How are the people at Woodhouse College?

I'm applying to college/sixth form really soon and so far in mind I'm thinking of going to City and Islington because the ofsted ratings are great, the atmosphere is great, it's a big school and there are really cool facilities etc.

However, Woodhouse seems to be the school everyone wants to go to, is it prestige? I know it's selective.

I'm not too sure about Woodhouse because I'm scared the people there would be know-it-alls and stuck up, and I want to have a good time there, to make friends as well but to come into a school everyday where there are great people.

I know making friends isn't my priority, but I do think it's important, I wouldn't look forward to a class of ego brains and people who are just boring.

You may ask "why don't you just go to City and islington?" Well, I'm thinking of studying chemistry, biology, maths and english literature and I saw that the exam boards for chemistry and biology are AQA at Woodhouse whereas the exam boards in City and Islington are: Edexcel for biology and OCR for chemistry.

Plus I thought Chemistry and Biology will be even harder because of the new system.

I want my perception of Woodhouse changed, open day is soon but it's at the same time as City and Islington :/

I am hardworking, studious but like a laugh. (just to give you a clearer image if I'd fit in)
bump
I was the same in Year 11, I had set my mind towards a maths school and Woodhouse College. I chose to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing so going to a maths school seemed like the best thing to do right? Well after a few open days, I knew Woodhouse was for me. Yeah, I also initially thought students would be stuck up but really everyone has a nice personality here. Sure you get the one annoying kid every now and then however the teachers are kind, the library is amazing and the food, omg the food! In my Maths and Physics classes, everyone seems to be really chill, same goes for Further Maths. However the one thing I do like is the amount of support they offer. What I did was to apply to many colleges and visit their taster days, You'll get a feel of how life would be there then I'd make a judgement from there.

Open day was packed when I remember, really busy. And is it prestige? I would say yes, they have a great reputation of getting everyone in uni so yea :P and yea I'm not being biased...

&& Good Luck on your GCSE's
Original post by TheTechnoGuy
I was the same in Year 11, I had set my mind towards a maths school and Woodhouse College. I chose to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing so going to a maths school seemed like the best thing to do right? Well after a few open days, I knew Woodhouse was for me. Yeah, I also initially thought students would be stuck up but really everyone has a nice personality here. Sure you get the one annoying kid every now and then however the teachers are kind, the library is amazing and the food, omg the food! In my Maths and Physics classes, everyone seems to be really chill, same goes for Further Maths. However the one thing I do like is the amount of support they offer. What I did was to apply to many colleges and visit their taster days, You'll get a feel of how life would be there then I'd make a judgement from there.

Open day was packed when I remember, really busy. And is it prestige? I would say yes, they have a great reputation of getting everyone in uni so yea :P and yea I'm not being biased...

&& Good Luck on your GCSE's

Wow great answer and thanks :smile:
But I'm not much of a biggy on maths but I feel like it would be good if I studied it. Should i worry how it is OCR or not? Were there people in your maths class who weren't as good in maths (I'm not bad at it, but I'm not great at it either) and got really good grades?
Now it'll depend, you either choose Maths with Mechanics or with Statistics, needless to say, both maths require you to do C1 and C2. Since many from my mechanics class also do Physics, many got As and A*s at GCSE. I wouldn't worry with it being OCR, I personally like it since it's engineering focused however the content is pretty much the same as the others and the school has been doing maths with the same exam board for a while so they have a solid understanding of the specification. Now with maths, if you're gonna achieve an A or an A* at GCSE, I'd go for it since its required for a lot of university courses, I'd start working hard from now for GCSE since getting an A or A* just needs hard work :smile: However you have to like the subject too, Maths is a really intensive subject, the first module is pretty much all the A* questions from GCSE. C2 onwards is where it gets harder. However I wouldn't worry too much since you can see if you like it on both the taster day as well as the first month where they allow you to change subjects if you don't like it.

&& In my maths class, somewhat 25% of my class also do Further Maths however I feel we're all starting at the same point since we're being taught the same stuff, the teachers don't rush through topics and If you do have difficulty, they do go over it with you privately so you get a better understanding of it. & it seems youre not a big fan of maths :P I was the same up until year 9, where I just fell in love with maths... better love story than twilight xD
(edited 8 years ago)
In all honesty, you shouldn't pick a school because it's prestigious. Go to the school you feel is right for you; don't be too hasty or rash with your decision. Personally, I'm glad my teachers convinced me to stay at my current school instead of a grammar school because at the time, the whole concept of going to grammar schools, LAE and whatnot 'polluted' my mind. I'm not saying you should definitely stay at your current school, go to Islington or Woodhouse. All I'm saying is do what you feel is best; if the word "prestigious" appears in your justification- you're most probably making a mistake.

Sorry that I can't give you an insight into what the schools are comparatively like, but I did what I could I suppose.
Good luck on smashing your GCSE's! :smile:
Hey, you sent me a message and I tried to reply but it seems that you've turned off private messages being received so I can't send you a message until you turn that setting off

Original post by geniequeen48
I'm applying to college/sixth form really soon and so far in mind I'm thinking of going to City and Islington because the ofsted ratings are great, the atmosphere is great, it's a big school and there are really cool facilities etc.

However, Woodhouse seems to be the school everyone wants to go to, is it prestige? I know it's selective.

I'm not too sure about Woodhouse because I'm scared the people there would be know-it-alls and stuck up, and I want to have a good time there, to make friends as well but to come into a school everyday where there are great people.

I know making friends isn't my priority, but I do think it's important, I wouldn't look forward to a class of ego brains and people who are just boring.

You may ask "why don't you just go to City and islington?" Well, I'm thinking of studying chemistry, biology, maths and english literature and I saw that the exam boards for chemistry and biology are AQA at Woodhouse whereas the exam boards in City and Islington are: Edexcel for biology and OCR for chemistry.

Plus I thought Chemistry and Biology will be even harder because of the new system.

I want my perception of Woodhouse changed, open day is soon but it's at the same time as City and Islington :/

I am hardworking, studious but like a laugh. (just to give you a clearer image if I'd fit in)
Okay I'm on it.
Hey, you sent me a message and I tried to reply but it seems that you've turned off private messages being received so I can't send you a message until you turn that setting off

I changed the settings.

Quick Reply

Latest