The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Very hard, you have to follow a precise essay structure or you will fail with a very low mark.

Good thing about it is the 25 mark multiple choice, if you revise enough you should easily be getting 20/25 out of 25.
Depends from person to person.

I enjoyed economics and much preferred Macro to Micro. Having done the AQA specification, AS level was good as it contained multiple choice questions as well as essay questions. Everything done at AS is repeated at A2 but A2 contains more depth (especially seen in Micro). A2 also contains a few more topics but what I hated most were the diagrams (eg the cost curves). If you have an interest in Economics, you should do fairly well in it. Practising writing essays are vital especially to help improve your evaluation skills.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Got an A in unit 1 and D in unit 2 baree peak

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jdafonz
Got an A in unit 1 and D in unit 2 baree peak

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Baree peak" LOOOOOLi laughed too much at that
Reply 5
Heah :smile: Having just finished A2 edexcel economics this year I would say it is surprisingly alright if you understand the way the examiners want to see the layout of your answers. The multiple choice (supported choice for picky people) is really quite simple when you learn the basics and remember your definitions and formulas. You can get marks just for quoting a simple formula or annotating your diagram. If you do maths or are half competent with the subject from GCSE don't expect graphs or interpreting data all that tasking. The key aspect to doing well is timing, the paper is a hand killer and you'll be numb for a bit after if you've really got the afterburners on, because you can cram so much info in on the page.

I won't lie, I disliked the subject because of the writing amount and was far happier in maths and physics. I didn't do much, if any outside reading but if you're genuinely interested this is a subject that can be broken down very easily. For information I got an A* at A2 and nothing I wrote was too complexed, as a matter of fact I greatly admired the students who knew there way around the subject better but I think I was able to match them due to being able to work efficiently and express in small chunks my ideas, and then embellish them with data, analysis, and evaluation. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by LJC31
Heah :smile: Having just finished A2 edexcel economics this year I would say it is surprisingly alright if you understand the way the examiners want to see the layout of your answers. The multiple choice (supported choice for picky people) is really quite simple when you learn the basics and remember your definitions and formulas. You can get marks just for quoting a simple formula or annotating your diagram. If you do maths or are half competent with the subject from GCSE don't expect graphs or interpreting data all that tasking. The key aspect to doing well is timing, the paper is a hand killer and you'll be numb for a bit after if you've really got the afterburners on, because you can cram so much info in on the page.

I won't lie, I disliked the subject because of the writing amount and was far happier in maths and physics. I didn't do much, if any outside reading but if you're genuinely interested this is a subject that can be broken down very easily. For information I got an A* at A2 and nothing I wrote was too complexed, as a matter of fact I greatly admired the students who knew the way around the subject better but I think I was able to match them due to being able to work efficiently and express in small chunks my ideas, and then embellish them with data, analysis, and evaluation. Hope this helps :smile:

How did you revise for economics?
Original post by LJC31

I won't lie, I disliked the subject because of the writing amount and was far happier in maths and physics. I didn't do much, if any outside reading but if you're genuinely interested this is a subject that can be broken down very easily. For information I got an A* at A2 and nothing I wrote was too complexed, as a matter of fact I greatly admired the students who knew the way around the subject better but I think I was able to match them due to being able to work efficiently and express in small chunks my ideas, and then embellish them with data, analysis, and evaluation. Hope this helps :smile:

Dude a A*? That is awesome for economics.

How did you lay out the 25 mark question?
Reply 8
Original post by AKRYL
How did you revise for economics?

I was fortunate in that my teacher for the supported choice questions gave us a booklet with every question from edexcel, all ordered into individual categories. E.g. Oligopolies, contest able markets etc. With a mark scheme attached at the back. You get so used to the questions and the repetitive order that after a while definitions and formulas become second nature. I don't have the booklet anymore :tongue: it may have been recycled.

As for the essays unit 3 was very much having knowledge and applying it and understanding why markets run the way they do. If you understand the supported choice you'll be fine with your unit 3 essay as it's just an expansion of the topics.

Unit 4 was really just bulky writing. Learn or better yet ask how many marks you get for each question for data (usually 2-4) analysis (2-8) and evaluation (2-8) don't take my marks as the actual amount as I do not know for sure.

I got a book and re wrote my notes abbreviated. I didn't waste time on stuff I was confident I knew and to be honest I did very few essays, I think a lot of success came from criticism from my teacher, and learning how economics happens. It is just a chain or if you like dominoes, one change precedes the next :smile: ultimately you've just gotta find your own way. I knew I could remember quite a lot of stuff with little practice, I'm fortunate like that, but there were certainly kids who knew more that blew it through timing, or not making it clear enough or even overthinking.
Reply 9
Original post by Evil Genius
Dude a A*? That is awesome for economics.

How did you lay out the 25 mark question?

First off, thank you!

Without meaning to be useless I can't remember even doing a 25 marker. Was it unit 2? Or 4? The mark scheme is invaluable for telling you the layout as it says for example 2 marks for each analysis, 2 for evaluation, 4 marks total for knowledge. Ultimately I skipped any bull**** intro and conclusion in my essays and just went straight into the economics, used the data given always, and always described it as if speaking to a non-economist, going step by step as to why things were happening.
A while since I did it but I found it easy because I found it so interesting. I feel that once it all clicks, it's like a puzzle and it just fits together. I had an AMAZING teacher, which makes all the difference. I can imagine it being hard with bad teaching and if they don't inspire you.
Reply 11
Original post by Airfairy
A while since I did it but I found it easy because I found it so interesting. I feel that once it all clicks, it's like a puzzle and it just fits together. I had an AMAZING teacher, which makes all the difference. I can imagine it being hard with bad teaching and if they don't inspire you.

She knows :h: good teaching is so useful.
Reply 12
Original post by LJC31
I was fortunate in that my teacher for the supported choice questions gave us a booklet with every question from edexcel, all ordered into individual categories. E.g. Oligopolies, contest able markets etc. With a mark scheme attached at the back. You get so used to the questions and the repetitive order that after a while definitions and formulas become second nature. I don't have the booklet anymore :tongue: it may have been recycled.

As for the essays unit 3 was very much having knowledge and applying it and understanding why markets run the way they do. If you understand the supported choice you'll be fine with your unit 3 essay as it's just an expansion of the topics.

Unit 4 was really just bulky writing. Learn or better yet ask how many marks you get for each question for data (usually 2-4) analysis (2-8) and evaluation (2-8) don't take my marks as the actual amount as I do not know for sure.

I got a book and re wrote my notes abbreviated. I didn't waste time on stuff I was confident I knew and to be honest I did very few essays, I think a lot of success came from criticism from my teacher, and learning how economics happens. It is just a chain or if you like dominoes, one change precedes the next :smile: ultimately you've just gotta find your own way. I knew I could remember quite a lot of stuff with little practice, I'm fortunate like that, but there were certainly kids who knew more that blew it through timing, or not making it clear enough or even overthinking.

Alright alright, didnt ask for an ofsted report...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by jdafonz
Alright alright, didnt ask for an ofsted report...

Posted from TSR Mobile

He didn't ask for your grades either, at least I gave an answer with some insight.

Also ofsted don't report exams, thats what examiners do, that's why they're called examiners reports :wink:
Reply 14
Original post by LJC31

Is economics alot of maths?
Reply 15
Original post by LJC31
He didn't ask for your grades either, at least I gave an answer with some insight.

Also ofsted don't report exams, thats what examiners do, that's why they're called examiners reports :wink:

You have bewn so much help! Ignore him
Reply 16
Original post by TyanaChu
Is economics alot of maths?

No, I reckon about 5% of all marks are for maths directly. If you can do addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, it won't be a problem :smile:
Doing it, I will not lie, it is challenging, seriously. That's all I can say :tongue:
Reply 18
Not that difficult if you study hard and understand the concepts.

I struggle with microeconomics. So do most students even though it's not that essay based in comparison to unit 2. I do Edexcel btw.
Lots of graphs too! You need to understand the dynamics of the graphs to really explain fully and evaluate.
Do it, it's so much fun and opens your eyes to so much in the world! If you focus all year then it doesn't require much revision as understanding is more important than facts and particularly at AS you can get so many marks for writing relatively little

Latest