The Student Room Group

German woman evicted from home to make way for refugees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
Most Jews at the time dos not speak English.
Glad that you're annoyed we let Jews fleeing from nazi persecution in.

Some of your views would be on the lighter side of the nazi party- never mind the bnp.

German Jews fleeing the third reich didn't believe in snipping off their daughters clitorises, putting their womenfolk in a cloth bag before allowing them to leave the house, or demanding we give up our democratic system and confer on them special rights.

German Jews fleeing the Nazis had the same values we have. So there is a clear difference. In fact, many of them (like Ralph Miliband) enlisted to help in the fight against fascism. The same can't really be said of the present bunch
(edited 8 years ago)
As someone living in Germany on a year abroad, the majority of people I've encountered are far more welcoming and sympathetic towards refugees than the right wing UK press would have you believe.
Original post by infairverona
Of course they don't care. The UK offers the most attractive benefits package - once the immigrants have got their citizenship through Germany they'll **** off and come here.

...how much do you actually know about Germany lmao
Original post by abruiseonthesky
As someone living in Germany on a year abroad, the majority of people I've encountered are far more welcoming and sympathetic towards refugees than the right wing UK press would have you believe.

Probably because that's a right wing ideology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you may be slightly confused. This article is not about Germans failing to be sufficiently welcoming of refugees. It's about a woman in her 50s being thrown out of her home of 15 years to make way for refugees,.

Would you be happy to be evicted from your home to make way for refugees?
Original post by Rakas21
Since when did the BNP support more or less free movement with a billion people as I do.

I just don't see why immigration must equal diversity. I like not seeing women in Burka's and being in a white country.

As a half-Asian Brit whose immigrant father has worked as a doctor in the NHS for over 25 years, I find your stereotyping of Asian immigrants gross. And let's not even get onto you liking being in a white country - I was born, raised and live in the UK, I'm British, and I have just as much right to be in the UK as you, despite only being half white.
...how much do you actually know about Germany lmao

Sorry what exactly is your point 'lmao' :rolleyes:
Original post by Bornblue
The guardian is a reliable broadsheet newspaper - the daily mail is a comic book.
Ask any academic which they feel is more reliable as a source.
Grow up.

Reliable but can be biased at times which is excruciatingly annoying. :angry:
Original post by SignFromDog
I think you may be slightly confused. This article is not about Germans failing to be sufficiently welcoming of refugees. It's about a woman in her 50s being thrown out of her home of 15 years to make way for refugees,.

Would you be happy to be evicted from your home to make way for refugees?

I'm not confused; the point I was making is that the tone of the Mail's article is that everyone is angry about the way the German government is handling the crisis as a whole, which is of course their aim. As someone said before, if an OAP was evicted for a new road, no one would give a flying f*ck. But because it's for another human fleeing a dangerous situation instead of economic gain, it's an outrage!!!11!1!

I get why people are angry. What I don't get is why people are angry at this specific incident. People are evicted for much less worthwhile causes e.g. new roads or whatever.
Original post by JessThomas6
Probably because that's a right wing ideology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, yeah :tongue: Just thought it was worth pointing out as the article cited was a Mail.
Original post by Raymat
Reliable but can be biased at times which is excruciatingly annoying. :angry:

There's no true unbiased, balanced news site
It's hard to find journalists who don't have their own political ideas, and who can write without portraying them, even to a small degree.
If it's not the journalists then it's the editors, the owners, CEOs whatever, somewhere along the line there'll be a bias.
I like the telegraph, it's relatively central, with some right wing ideas, but then again in the last GE labour were almost as far right as the Lib Dems with their last policies, just less right wing than conservatives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by infairverona
Sorry what exactly is your point 'lmao' :rolleyes:

My point is that you stating that every refugee coming to Germany just to move to the UK once they're citizens because 'we have great benefits' is bull****. If you knew much about the German social system, you'd know that actually it's pretty great, and arguably better than the UK's. So your outraged statement was basically just ignorant.
Well, yeah :tongue: Just thought it was worth pointing out as the article cited was a Mail.

I read the DM for a laugh, and to see how badly they report on my favourite band. Then again I prefer to read a few newspapers/websites (BBC, telegraph, guardian sometimes as well as others) to gather an opinion, but never trust the mail, they love scaremongering, exaggerating and being ridiculous!😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by Student403
And yet here we have racists who discriminate against people doing nothing to them.

That's sooo benevolent of the German people though. Respect them for trying really hard. Just a shame someone had to suffer for it.. Perhaps they need to draw the line

It's not benevolent of the German people. It's pure nastiness and betrayal on the part of the German state. How could the government kick a citizen out of her home to make room for foreigners?
My point is that you stating that every refugee coming to Germany just to move to the UK once they're citizens because 'we have great benefits' is bull****. If you knew much about the German social system, you'd know that actually it's pretty great, and arguably better than the UK's. So your outraged statement was basically just ignorant.

https://news.vice.com/article/germany-announces-crackdown-on-immigrant-welfare-abuse - this is from a year ago but doesn't seem to agree with what you're saying...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11331907/Immigrants-abuse-of-benefits-system-must-be-fixed-agrees-Angela-Merkel.html - hmm funny - Merkel certainly seems to think immigrants abusing state support is an issue, perhaps not as hot on it as you seem to think

[e] I also didn't say 'every' immigrant would do that. I am also not outraged about it, I don't really care a whole lot if the immigrants do that and come here to be perfectly honest but I think it's pretty likely that some of them will come here for this reason. From your post above about your background and your Dad you clearly seem to take comments about immigrants pretty personally and that's not my problem.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 75
I read the DM for a laugh, and to see how badly they report on my favourite band. Then again I prefer to read a few newspapers/websites (BBC, telegraph, guardian sometimes as well as others) to gather an opinion, but never trust the mail, they love scaremongering, exaggerating and being ridiculous!😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

The BBC is well known for it biased reporting and the Guardian is very nearly as bad. Neither would be my first port of call for objective news coverage.
What I don't get is why people are angry at this specific incident. People are evicted for much less worthwhile causes e.g. new roads or whatever.

Because when someone is evicted for a new road, compensation inevitably follows. Making one person homeless to house another person is a zero sum game.

In any case, you are most welcome to show us how this is not a big deal at all and give up your home for a refugee family. Or is it only okay when it's someone else?
Original post by Howard
It's not benevolent of the German people. It's pure nastiness and betrayal on the part of the German state. How could the government kick a citizen out of her home to make room for foreigners?

The benevolent part refers to the general attitude of the German people toward refugees. Welcoming them.

Read where I said "Just a shame someone had to suffer for it". That part refers to the fact that a native had to suffer as a result of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I go on the DM when I'm bored :')
Original post by SignFromDog
I think the vast majority of people couldn't care less about race. It's the values and cultural beliefs that are tied to various foreign immigrants that people object to.

If the people coming from Somalia and Pakistan were basically like New Zealanders or something, then nobody would give a crap they were foreign or of another race. But given what we actually are getting is 7th century warlordism and tribal nonsense par excellence, strangely enough some people do have a problem with it

That's not what we're getting at all. Those sorts of people rather tend to be the ones still out in Syria fighting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending