The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwicks repuation for economics

How repuatable is warwick for economics? I have always heard good things about Warwick especially how targeted they are by top employers but how good are they for economics? And how competitve is warwick for economics because i met one guy who was rejected by warwick but got into econ and managment at oxford which surprised me.
I prefer to live on campus and i dislike city life so i am looking to apply for warwick economics.
Original post by Omegafreak
How repuatable is warwick for economics? I have always heard good things about Warwick especially how targeted they are by top employers but how good are they for economics? And how competitve is warwick for economics because i met one guy who was rejected by warwick but got into econ and managment at oxford which surprised me.
I prefer to live on campus and i dislike city life so i am looking to apply for warwick economics.

Yes it is one of the absolute best programs, rivalling LSE, Cambridge and Oxford in terms of competition and calibre of student.

It's an IB target; McKinsey, Bain and BCG have all hired Warwick grads before and generally, most top city firms will come to visit the campus at some point during the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Yes it is one of the absolute best programs, rivalling LSE, Cambridge and Oxford in terms of competition and calibre of student.

It's an IB target; McKinsey, Bain and BCG have all hired Warwick grads before and generally, most top city firms will come to visit the campus at some point during the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks That makes sense and in the economics league tables they rank extremely highly 2nd on both CUG and Guardian at the moment and have never dropped out of top 4 since the 2008.
And tell me about IB targets i am from a family with a decent amount of IBs and my uncle told me that the amount of bankers warwick is producing right now is absolutely ridiculous and that they were the most targeted university in the UK for 2 years in a row now.
I was always aware of the extremely high calibre of warwick students and their immense reputation in the employer market but i was just curious about their eco programme which you have clearly confirmed.
Btw are you From warwick? Applying to warwick?
I applied to Warwick last year and got an offer.
Thanks That makes sense and in the economics league tables they rank extremely highly 2nd on both CUG and Guardian at the moment and have never dropped out of top 4 since the 2008.
And tell me about IB targets i am from a family with a decent amount of IBs and my uncle told me that the amount of bankers warwick is producing right now is absolutely ridiculous and that they were the most targeted university in the UK for 2 years in a row now.
I was always aware of the extremely high calibre of warwick students and their immense reputation in the employer market but i was just curious about their eco programme which you have clearly confirmed.
Btw are you From warwick? Applying to warwick?

Got an offer today! :biggrin:

Yeah, so something like 80-85% of UK grads in IB are from the' targets': Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick, the rest hail from the 'semi-targets' namely: Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, Cass, KCL, Bath etc. these guys round out the last 13-15% or so.

I looked at some 'face books' (essentially a book with a mug shot, university name and course for each participant) from my friends' previous spring weeks and internships and Warwick's presence was dominant. Definitely a decent chunk of the the above 80%.

Yeah, there seems to be a non-stop stream of employers going to the campus for recruitment events.

Yeah, so something like 80-85% of UK grads in IB are from the' targets': Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick, the rest hail from the 'semi-targets' namely: Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, Cass, KCL, Bath etc. these guys round out the last 13-15% or so.

I looked at some 'face books' (essentially a book with a mug shot, university name and course for each participant) from my friends' previous spring weeks and internships and Warwick's presence was dominant. Definitely a decent chunk of the the above 80%.

Yeah, there seems to be a non-stop stream of employers going to the campus for recruitment events.

Do you think Warwick will be your firm? Well done on the offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Congratulations! And the offer is for Data science right? You will be working in the prestigious WMI (Warwick Maths Institute) which i have heard is ridiculously good and part of COWI some say its second only to cambridges maths department
Original post by Exceptional
Do you think Warwick will be your firm? Well done on the offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!! :biggrin:

I'm definitely not getting into Oxford so, yeah. It's between Warwick and UCL (if I get an offer) for my firm and Bristol/Nottingham for my insurance.

Haven't heard back from the others yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Congratulations! And the offer is for Data science right? You will be working in the prestigious WMI (Warwick Maths Institute) which i have heard is ridiculously good and part of COWI some say its second only to cambridges maths department

That's right!! It's a joint course with Maths, Computer Science and Statistics.

Haha, they have a ridiculous reputation for Maths. I read a piece about the admissions process for Maths/STEP from Cambridge and they acknowledged Warwick as its 'rival' haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

That's right!! It's a joint course with Maths, Computer Science and Statistics.

Haha, they have a ridiculous reputation for Maths. I read a piece about the admissions process for Maths/STEP from Cambridge and they acknowledged Warwick as its 'rival' haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes i know that i even read an article about a MIT professor who said that WMI will become the best maths deputy in the world by 2030 according to their estimations as the only reason they rank low on international tables is due to their relative young age but their maths depart WMI is one of the very best in the world it even attracts students from harvard, stanford MIT and yale etc and all maths academics abroad have heard of WMI! Bro they even have a flipping field medalist who made a huge contribution for maths as a maths professor WMI is just incredible!
Reply 10

I'm definitely not getting into Oxford so, yeah. It's between Warwick and UCL (if I get an offer) for my firm and Bristol/Nottingham for my insurance.

Haven't heard back from the others yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick vs UCL for a mathematical subject? Come on unless you really dislike campus life ucl over warwick would be ridiculous i know people who have rejected oxford for warwick when it comes to maths i even know someone who took a gap year to go from imperial maths to warwick maths!
Not to mention WMI has a amazing international prestige
Original post by INF10
Warwick vs UCL for a mathematical subject? Come on unless you really dislike campus life ucl over warwick would be ridiculous i know people who have rejected oxford for warwick when it comes to maths i even know someone who took a gap year to go from imperial maths to warwick maths!
Not to mention WMI has a amazing international prestige

Well, my mind is made up then hahaha

Nah, I'll wait until I hear back from everywhere, go to visit days etc before making a choice.

It's definitely my favourite right now though.
Reply 12
Well, my mind is made up then hahaha

Nah, I'll wait until I hear back from everywhere, go to visit days etc before making a choice.

It's definitely my favourite right now though.

Yhyh make sure you like the place otherwise there is no point
But i just want you to bear in mind that academically and reputation wise warwick wipes the floor with UCL when it comes to maths (or economics) dont even get me started on the warwick graduate prospects 😊

Quick Reply

Latest