The Student Room Group

Interview mess… never going to get a job…

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Jared44
I give up...

No.

Ok I will try I promise. But I have so much interview prepp, its starting to get to a point as to why I can't get a ****ing job
How long have you been looking?
Reply 22
Original post by Speckle
How long have you been looking?

Since 2011 -- not counting the masters year
No, that is normal, It all about practise. It took me a year to find a job. and could not get interviews because my application wasn't great. The only positive advice I can give keep trying, it is not end of world, your are still young.
Do you know exactly what type of job you want and what industry you want to be in?

If yes, focus your applications and get interview experience - you must have had a careers service at you uni? Go back to them, they (in most cases) offer help to their graduates in the form of jobsearching and interview skills. Ask for mock interviews for prep. If not, ask at the jobcentre - they can also help with interview prep. Again, if not, apply for a voluntary job - you'll get an interview and then the work itself could help your social skills.

The thing with interviews is that you have to do them to get better at them - so keep at it, it's all experience even if you don't get the jobs. I know that's probably not much comfort, but it's true - believe me.

Also, depending on your Masters subject, I really hate to say this, but you may need to lower your expectations - most Masters degrees are non-vocational and don't teach you how to do any particular job. You need to show an employer what skills you have, if your Masters can't demonstrate them clearly then omit it. I omitted my BA off my CV and after 6 months of unemployment (3 years post graduation) I finally got a job. It sucks, I know, but you have to do whatever it takes and sometimes that means swallowing your pride.
Reply 25
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Do you know exactly what type of job you want and what industry you want to be in?

If yes, focus your applications and get interview experience - you must have had a careers service at you uni? Go back to them, they (in most cases) offer help to their graduates in the form of jobsearching and interview skills. Ask for mock interviews for prep. If not, ask at the jobcentre - they can also help with interview prep. Again, if not, apply for a voluntary job - you'll get an interview and then the work itself could help your social skills.

The thing with interviews is that you have to do them to get better at them - so keep at it, it's all experience even if you don't get the jobs. I know that's probably not much comfort, but it's true - believe me.

Also, depending on your Masters subject, I really hate to say this, but you may need to lower your expectations - most Masters degrees are non-vocational and don't teach you how to do any particular job. You need to show an employer what skills you have, if your Masters can't demonstrate them clearly then omit it. I omitted my BA off my CV and after 6 months of unemployment (3 years post graduation) I finally got a job. It sucks, I know, but you have to do whatever it takes and sometimes that means swallowing your pride.

How about i get rid of my BSc instead?
Original post by Kasa
What do you think of 50 interview rejections?

I think that's not really high enough..

Seriously though, find a recruitment agency that's willing to give you interview tips/CV advice or even go back to your old university and speak to a careers adviser. You need to improve your interview technique simple, as.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Easy - get some unpaid work experience rather then sitting around doing nothing, then you might stand a chance. You are not entitled to a paid job but you need to do work of some kind.
Reply 28
What kind of jobs are you applying to ? Jobs related to your degree or any ?

I was in the same situation and out of desperation I started applying to any job I could find. This is a bad approach but I can see how people end up in this situation and I was unsuccessful in all the interviews. I know it was because I wasn't showing enough passion for those role.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Rosewal
What kind of jobs are you applying to ? Jobs related to your degree or any ?

I was in the same situation and out of desperation I started applying to any job I could find. This is a bad approach but I can see how people end up in this situation and I was unsuccessful in all the interviews. I know it was because I wasn't showing enough passion for those role.

Did you have 50 interview rejections?

Any job that sounds interesting and I believe I can do
Reply 30
Original post by Kasa
Did you have 50 interview rejections?

Any job that sounds interesting and I believe I can do

I actually didn't get to the interview most of the time . I had 200 + pre interview rejections. I've never had any reply when applying through agencies. When I applied directly , I got the odd interview.

Even though you're not getting a job , I still think you're doing good to get that many interviews. Honestly , when I was receiving no reply after sending so many applications , at that point I would have done anything to get an interview .
Original post by Kasa
Just finished my masters, moved in with a bunch of people and lied to them that I am doing a Phd to avoid telling them I am unemployed.I must have had fifty interviews in my lifetime (literally) and I can’t seem to progress I have heard every feedback imaginable.I am starting to panic. I am 26 years old and I still haven’t got my foot in the door. I don’t know what to do..
What undergraduate subject did you study and what masters subject did you study?

What grade did you get for your undergraduate and for your masters?
Original post by Kasa
Just finished my masters, moved in with a bunch of people and lied to them that I am doing a Phd to avoid telling them I am unemployed.I must have had fifty interviews in my lifetime (literally) and I can’t seem to progress I have heard every feedback imaginable.I am starting to panic. I am 26 years old and I still haven’t got my foot in the door. I don’t know what to do..

What kind of jobs are you applying for? It might be that they perceive you as being overqualified if you are going for run of the mill customer service stuff. Don't declare your first degree or your masters and you should get more chance.

If you've already done that then you might have to consider your body language. You told us you had Aspergers which is a condition I share and I know it's hard to act 'neurotypical' but when in Rome you must do as Romans do. Maintain eye contact. Smile. Be friendly and polite. Even bring sweets to offer out to other candidates.

How is your personal hygiene? Is your hair brushed and groomed? Are your teeth clean? Does your breath smell?

Is your interview attire smart and professional? Turning up in stained pants or jeans and trainers is going to get you nowhere in a hurry.

Having long hair as a male, facial tattoos and piercing for bother genders are a big no no. Get rid of them. If you are a woman it helps to wear natural style makeup. Nothing clownish, just the kind that emphasises your natural beauty.
Self confidence. That's what you need.
Hi OP,

I agree with Rosewal in this one. The fact that you're getting to the interview stage, you're clearly doing something right and the employers like what they see on paper. It's just about getting better at interviews by the sounds of it.

The interview rejections can be for many reasons - it could be confidence, waffling or not understanding the questions etc - anything. Maybe you'd benefit from speaking to a careers adviser in your area or through uni? Usually the services are free and if you explain your situation to them, hopefully they could guide you in the right direction.

Good luck! Also don't feel ashamed of the 50 rejections. You'll get something eventually!
Original post by Kasa
How about i get rid of my BSc instead?

Really depends on the jobs that you're applying for.
Reply 36
Original post by Rosewal
I actually didn't get to the interview most of the time . I had 200 + pre interview rejections. I've never had any reply when applying through agencies. When I applied directly , I got the odd interview.

Even though you're not getting a job , I still think you're doing good to get that many interviews. Honestly , when I was receiving no reply after sending so many applications , at that point I would have done anything to get an interview .

The relentless cycle of going to interviews and being rejected is killing me. I don't think I can take it anymore
30-50 a day? Well looking at my city I can find about 3 jobs that are suitable for me in a week!
Reply 38
Original post by DanielleT192
Hi OP,

I agree with Rosewal in this one. The fact that you're getting to the interview stage, you're clearly doing something right and the employers like what they see on paper. It's just about getting better at interviews by the sounds of it.

The interview rejections can be for many reasons - it could be confidence, waffling or not understanding the questions etc - anything. Maybe you'd benefit from speaking to a careers adviser in your area or through uni? Usually the services are free and if you explain your situation to them, hopefully they could guide you in the right direction.

Good luck! Also don't feel ashamed of the 50 rejections. You'll get something eventually!

My most recent feedback was waffling and body language so that might help. I have spoken to a careers advisor, but I am not aware that I am doing that. I can't control it and disclosing to employers doesn't help.
Reply 39
What kind of jobs are you applying for? It might be that they perceive you as being overqualified if you are going for run of the mill customer service stuff. Don't declare your first degree or your masters and you should get more chance.

Generally graduate roles and trainee development roles. Anything that is advertised on my university careers portal.

If you've already done that then you might have to consider your body language. You told us you had Aspergers which is a condition I share and I know it's hard to act 'neurotypical' but when in Rome you must do as Romans do. Maintain eye contact. Smile. Be friendly and polite. Even bring sweets to offer out to other candidates.

That sounds very swee and I will try that idea. Thanks.

How is your personal hygiene? Is your hair brushed and groomed? Are your teeth clean? Does your breath smell?

Hair brushed. Teeth fine. Everything else fine.

Is your interview attire smart and professional? Turning up in stained pants or jeans and trainers is going to get you nowhere in a hurry.

Before it was a mess, but now its fine.

Having long hair as a male, facial tattoos and piercing for bother genders are a big no no. Get rid of them. If you are a woman it helps to wear natural style makeup. Nothing clownish, just the kind that emphasises your natural beauty.

I don;t have any of that! Thank god.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending