The Student Room Group

IB pg and application for UK universities english

Hi, I am an international student studying the IB in Hong Kong. Please forgive me for my poor english.

I want to apply for english in UK universities, and my preferences are UCL, Durham, St Andrews. I am also considering Cambridge but clearly the chances are very slim.
I haven't got all my predicted grades yet, but I think the final mark will be around 37-38/45. I do English, History and Economics as HL. While I think I will get at least 6 for each HL subject, my chemistry and math SL are not really good. These two subjects will probably get a 5, and at most 6. By the way I got 8.5/9 in IELTS.

I am very interested in literature, and I really want to study in London, but it seems like UCL English is extremely competitive and I am afraid I can barely reach the minimum mark required. I am writing my personal statement now and I wonder if I should talk about my EE in it as well. I chose English for my EE and my supervisor said that my research question is quite unusual in a good way. It's a comparative essay between Lolita and Marquez's novella. Will this give me an advantage?

Thanks for reading all this. Please give me some advice and recommendations on universities famous for English, especially those in London.
Original post by Helena125
Hi, I am an international student studying the IB in Hong Kong. Please forgive me for my poor english.

I want to apply for english in UK universities, and my preferences are UCL, Durham, St Andrews. I am also considering Cambridge but clearly the chances are very slim.
I haven't got all my predicted grades yet, but I think the final mark will be around 37-38/45. I do English, History and Economics as HL. While I think I will get at least 6 for each HL subject, my chemistry and math SL are not really good. These two subjects will probably get a 5, and at most 6. By the way I got 8.5/9 in IELTS.

I am very interested in literature, and I really want to study in London, but it seems like UCL English is extremely competitive and I am afraid I can barely reach the minimum mark required. I am writing my personal statement now and I wonder if I should talk about my EE in it as well. I chose English for my EE and my supervisor said that my research question is quite unusual in a good way. It's a comparative essay between Lolita and Marquez's novella. Will this give me an advantage?

Thanks for reading all this. Please give me some advice and recommendations on universities famous for English, especially those in London.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563&p=37765516#post37765516

English is hugely competitive and most universities don't need to be kind to applicants who don't reach their minimum requirements. You need to find out what these are either by looking on the website or contacting them directly. Your EE sounds like it is interesting, but it is the kind of thing which is also covered in some current A level syllabuses, so it's not unique. However, it's how you write about it that matters. See the link to my sticky on applying for English above.
Reply 2
Hey I just want to ask about the advantages of handing in UCAS application early.

My updated predicted grades are 39 with 3 for bonus and 7 for English HL. I didn't apply for Oxbridge since it's really competitive. However, my school refuses to hand in applications for students applying to UK earlier till the official deadline Jan unless you are applying for Oxbridge. Their excuse is that they don't want to create advantages for particular students who apply earlier, which will create disharmony among the students.

I am worried that this will create disadvantage for me because it seems like a lot of people around the world has already received their conditional offers in Nov and Dec. Please give me some advice and hopefully some past examples which can support my claim.
Original post by Helena125
Hey I just want to ask about the advantages of handing in UCAS application early.

My updated predicted grades are 39 with 3 for bonus and 7 for English HL. I didn't apply for Oxbridge since it's really competitive. However, my school refuses to hand in applications for students applying to UK earlier till the official deadline Jan unless you are applying for Oxbridge. Their excuse is that they don't want to create advantages for particular students who apply earlier, which will create disharmony among the students.

I am worried that this will create disadvantage for me because it seems like a lot of people around the world has already received their conditional offers in Nov and Dec. Please give me some advice and hopefully some past examples which can support my claim.

universities have to give equal consideration to ALL applicants who apply BEFORE the January deadline even if its by 1 minute. The universities you are applying to are very competitive and you may not get an offer. Choose 2 less competitive choices as back ups to ensure you have somewhere to attend.
You could try Royal Holloway which is on the outskirts of London near Heathrow Airport, Kings College which is right in the centre or Queen Mary which again is near the centre of London
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I study IB as well.. but why you dont get your predicted yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending