The Student Room Group

How to recover from stress/anxiety burnout?

As you all know, i suffer from anxiety, panics and OCD so naturally, I'm a very highly strung person 99% of the time. A lot has happened lately that has increased these conditions plus, maybe tmi but - I'm on the pill and for the first time in years on it, I've had three 'periods' in less than a month which has drained me physically and mentally as one period knocks the stuffing out of you, let alone three.

I believe I am suffering from burnout. My anxiety has been high for say the last 3 weeks, almost constant and in the last 3 days I've had the worst panic attacks I've felt in this phase and ever since those attacks, I've just been absolutely floored. Physically everywhere hurts, I have constant butterflies in my stomach, churning stomach, diarrhea, loss of appetite, nausea etc and mentally I have insomnia, hopelessness, depressive feelings, keep thinking I'll never get over this or that I'm on the verge of taking a full on nervous breakdown, anxiety is through the roof - especially health anxiety, no notion for much, crying a lot etc.

One minute I feel that I can cope and I just have to make some changes and take things easy for a wee while and I'll recover and then the next I feel like I can't cope at all and need to see a doc or therapist, or even drive to my local mental health hospital just for reassurance. I don't have any thoughts of harming myself or anything, I just feel a bit overwhelmed and reassurance and understanding is what I crave, if that makes sense?

My family and bf are understanding but I feel like they don't truly understand how bad I feel but I suppose that's normal in this kind of circumstance. I have made an appointment with my GP but the soonest I could get was for next week so I'm just looking to see what I can do to help myself in the mean time.

Scroll to see replies

Most of your symptoms I have too, except the pill and three period thing and they affect me in a very similar way. From one minute to the next I can hardly focus on anything as there'll be some something rearing it's head. I obviously don't have THE answer but in terms of coping the best thing you can do it be kind to yourself, baby yourself. Sounds ridiculous but honestly when there's that much going on (a lot of stress) it's not time to speed up and start exposure therapy :tongue: it's time to slow down and treat yourself as kindly as possible.

Also when you get those feelings that are most overwhelming, purge! Purge on here or to someone on another MH forum or whoever you feel comfortable talking to without feeling like you're burdening them and they'll hate you for it :/. As in Samaritans or whatever. Honestly the best thing is getting rid of the feelings/airing them. Then rest :smile: and do something nice for yourself watch something you like or have a hot chocolate etc. Or if you're going out go for a short walk. Avoid unnecessary stress and then as you feel your strength/resilience bolstered by the rest and treating yourself well, then start to do a little more that you couldn't do before without becoming so completely overwhelmed. If that makes sense.

Hope that helps a bit :smile:
Omg. You have the same symptoms as me...except I don't have diarrhea I have dizziness tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by missytwinpeaks
Omg. You have the same symptoms as me...except I don't have diarrhea I have dizziness tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have dizziness on and off sometimes too. Its horrible, isn't it? How long have you had these stress burnout symptoms for? I hate how one minute I feel almost 'normal' again and then literally just a minute later, I'm back to the totally burned out stage again and I dread everything and nerves are high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Little Popcorns
Most of your symptoms I have too, except the pill and three period thing and they affect me in a very similar way. From one minute to the next I can hardly focus on anything as there'll be some something rearing it's head. I obviously don't have THE answer but in terms of coping the best thing you can do it be kind to yourself, baby yourself. Sounds ridiculous but honestly when there's that much going on (a lot of stress) it's not time to speed up and start exposure therapy :tongue: it's time to slow down and treat yourself as kindly as possible.

Also when you get those feelings that are most overwhelming, purge! Purge on here or to someone on another MH forum or whoever you feel comfortable talking to without feeling like you're burdening them and they'll hate you for it :/. As in Samaritans or whatever. Honestly the best thing is getting rid of the feelings/airing them. Then rest :smile: and do something nice for yourself watch something you like or have a hot chocolate etc. Or if you're going out go for a short walk. Avoid unnecessary stress and then as you feel your strength/resilience bolstered by the rest and treating yourself well, then start to do a little more that you couldn't do before without becoming so completely overwhelmed. If that makes sense.

Thanks :smile: its nice to talk to people who know exactly what you're going through. I feel like my family and bf think its just something I can switch off. Earlier today I played Skyrim for a few hours and it really relaxed me and for a while, I felt 'normal' again for about an hour or so and then out of the blue, the burnout symptoms, thoughts and fears came back. That was the first moment in the last few days since I've been at my worst that I've felt like me again which I suppose is a good sign although it didn't last forever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
Thanks :smile: its nice to talk to people who know exactly what you're going through. I feel like my family and bf think its just something I can switch off. Earlier today I played Skyrim for a few hours and it really relaxed me and for a while, I felt 'normal' again for about an hour or so and then out of the blue, the burnout symptoms, thoughts and fears came back. That was the first moment in the last few days since I've been at my worst that I've felt like me again which I suppose is a good sign although it didn't last forever

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good at least you know that works for a little while you'll find other stuff as well that keeps your spirits up/rejuvenates you a bit. And just rest rest rest whenever you get the opportunity.
Avoid what is causing it, simple as it sounds! It really does help and be selfish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Its hard to avoid what causes it when I have underlying anxiety disorders which cause me to get very stressed and panicky over small things but I do agree, avoid as much stressful situations as I can for a little while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
My mum just called me to tell me that the nursing home called my stepdad to tell him his mum is dying and she may not make it through the night :frown: absolutely heartbroken for them especially as he is in Scotland and his mum is in England and my mum and stepdad were in a car accident last week so they don't have a car any more so they can't head down now, they have to wait until morning to hopefully rent one.

Stress levels are high now. I feel awful for them its been one thing after another. I'm going to sound like a selfish cow here and I feel bad for saying it and thinking it but I can't help but worry and panic over how I'll cope while my mum is away, she said she could be away for weeks as if she dies, they will have to sort of funeral and legal stuff and I would have to watch her cats for her which usually I love doing, I just wish it was under better circumstances. I'm just worried about how I'll cope without her since I'm still in the middle of this burnout. I feel awful for feeling this way when there's my stepdad about to lose his mum forever :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
yup. for a few weeks. im just feeling dizzy ALL THE TIME
I have dizziness on and off sometimes too. Its horrible, isn't it? How long have you had these stress burnout symptoms for? I hate how one minute I feel almost 'normal' again and then literally just a minute later, I'm back to the totally burned out stage again and I dread everything and nerves are high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by missytwinpeaks
yup. for a few weeks. im just feeling dizzy ALL THE TIME

Hope you feel better soon, dizziness is horrible. I suffer from vertigo and the slightest hint of that brings on high anxiety or panics.
As you all know, i suffer from anxiety, panics and OCD so naturally, I'm a very highly strung person 99% of the time. A lot has happened lately that has increased these conditions plus, maybe tmi but - I'm on the pill and for the first time in years on it, I've had three 'periods' in less than a month which has drained me physically and mentally as one period knocks the stuffing out of you, let alone three.

I believe I am suffering from burnout. My anxiety has been high for say the last 3 weeks, almost constant and in the last 3 days I've had the worst panic attacks I've felt in this phase and ever since those attacks, I've just been absolutely floored. Physically everywhere hurts, I have constant butterflies in my stomach, churning stomach, diarrhea, loss of appetite, nausea etc and mentally I have insomnia, hopelessness, depressive feelings, keep thinking I'll never get over this or that I'm on the verge of taking a full on nervous breakdown, anxiety is through the roof - especially health anxiety, no notion for much, crying a lot etc.

One minute I feel that I can cope and I just have to make some changes and take things easy for a wee while and I'll recover and then the next I feel like I can't cope at all and need to see a doc or therapist, or even drive to my local mental health hospital just for reassurance. I don't have any thoughts of harming myself or anything, I just feel a bit overwhelmed and reassurance and understanding is what I crave, if that makes sense?

My family and bf are understanding but I feel like they don't truly understand how bad I feel but I suppose that's normal in this kind of circumstance. I have made an appointment with my GP but the soonest I could get was for next week so I'm just looking to see what I can do to help myself in the mean time.

Original post by Little Popcorns

You both are so similar to me. I felt so alone until I read this post. How do you find the strength to cope and manage? If you don't mind me asking, how did you parents react when you told them you suffer from OCD and paranoia, my parents don't know and have only started counselling but it's half term now and am starting to feel anxious. Sorry be being a burden to you... 😭😫
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
You both are so similar to me. I felt so alone until I read this post. How do you find the strength to cope and manage? If you don't mind me asking, how did you parents react when you told them you suffer from OCD and paranoia, my parents don't know and have only started counselling but it's half term now and am starting to feel anxious. Sorry be being a burden to you... 😭😫
you're not a burden so stop that thinking right away! Though I know how you feel. I feel like a burden every time I post a problem or talk to my family although they are understanding, as I feel I should be strong and not complain as there's worse off people than me out there, especially in my own family.

My family were supportive when they found out I had OCD but tbh, they didn't know much about it but they researched it and asked me questions instead of just sitting there in ignorance.

Tbh I don't know where I am getting the strength to cope. One minute I feel that I can deal with this, I just need to accept my batteries are flat for a while and I need to go with the flow and then the next I feel like I don't know how the hell I can go on feeling like this and that I need serious help right this very instant. Do you feel the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
The best way I can describe how I feel is this - I feel almost hungover. I feel like over the last few weeks I've 'drank' too much anxiety and stress and the other day there when I had my worst panics and I reached my peak, that was me at my most 'drunk' and now is the aftermath like an actual hangover, I have to wait for the rest of the 'booze' to leave my system and anxiety and stress don't go away instantly, they gradually decline just the same as booze in your system. Just takes a hell of a lot longer to get over an anxiety hangover!
Really sorry to hear that you're feeling like that SS-nip it in the bud though before it escalates-do you go to the gym? Have a few sessions in there or go for a jog/swim-cleanses the mind and body. Good luck.
Reply 15
Nah I don't go to the gym but I do have an exercise bike at home and I go for walks most days, I do find that exercise helps, especially with anxiety.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had major burn out in 2nd year of my degree and the only solution was to take time off. You need to give your mind the space and time to recover. You need to be able to lie on the sofa and not have a single worry whirring through your mind.

I don't know if you're a student or if you're working - either way - you need to take time off. I'm not talking about a week, I mean at least a month. I took 2 months off during my degree and even then, I wasn't fully recovered, I just knew that if I took anymore time off then I'd have to take a year out and finish my degree at a later date which would have meant worrying about that for a whole 12 months. So I plodded through. It's best not to if you can avoid it. I spent the next few years trying to re-assemble my sanity and it's only now that I'm okay. Nothing is worth that.

I think the thing I learnt was to stay on top of things - my anxiety led to procrastination, which led to leaving things to the last minute and that meant high levels of stress and ultimately a mental breakdown. Now I get things done ASAP and then use the rest of my time to de-stress. It's easier said than done, I know.

I often feel like I'm guiding a boat through a storm and barely staying afloat, but it's worth the constant effort of staying afloat than to let things slide and sink again. It's about self care - making sure you're eating, sleeping, getting tasks done on time and generally compartmentalizing your life. It's taken me years to figure it out and even now I'm not perfect, things stress me out but I just have better coping mechanisms. Unfortunately you have t experience the worst times to learn those coping mechanisms.

Basically - keep organised, write a journal, take care of yourself, take meds if they help you, speak to someone, keep busy but find time for yourself.
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
I had major burn out in 2nd year of my degree and the only solution was to take time off. You need to give your mind the space and time to recover. You need to be able to lie on the sofa and not have a single worry whirring through your mind.

I don't know if you're a student or if you're working - either way - you need to take time off. I'm not talking about a week, I mean at least a month. I took 2 months off during my degree and even then, I wasn't fully recovered, I just knew that if I took anymore time off then I'd have to take a year out and finish my degree at a later date which would have meant worrying about that for a whole 12 months. So I plodded through. It's best not to if you can avoid it. I spent the next few years trying to re-assemble my sanity and it's only now that I'm okay. Nothing is worth that.

I think the thing I learnt was to stay on top of things - my anxiety led to procrastination, which led to leaving things to the last minute and that meant high levels of stress and ultimately a mental breakdown. Now I get things done ASAP and then use the rest of my time to de-stress. It's easier said than done, I know.

I often feel like I'm guiding a boat through a storm and barely staying afloat, but it's worth the constant effort of staying afloat than to let things slide and sink again. It's about self care - making sure you're eating, sleeping, getting tasks done on time and generally compartmentalizing your life. It's taken me years to figure it out and even now I'm not perfect, things stress me out but I just have better coping mechanisms. Unfortunately you have t experience the worst times to learn those coping mechanisms.

Basically - keep organised, write a journal, take care of yourself, take meds if they help you, speak to someone, keep busy but find time for yourself.

Thanks for your reply, sorry to hear you were in the same boat too in the past. Yeah I am a student. I am studying for my degree with OU and this is my last year I am allowed to study with them as I have deferred twice in the past so if I don't pass and complete my modules this year, I wont be able to study with them again so the pressure is on. I have an assignment due in three days time too which doesn't help.

I do feel like I am making small improvements every day compared to how I felt at my worst nearly a week ago but I agree what what you say, I do need more than just a week to get myself back on track. Could take weeks or months.

I'm trying to take as much as time to myself as I can but still keep doing small things such as going over to visit family, go shopping but trying to stay away from things that will cause too much stress which is hard but I am trying my best. I'm chilling at the moment playing Skyrim which is helping and then tonight I'll be cat sitting for my mum which I always love and I'm hoping some time to myself and a change of scenery over at my mum's for a night might help me too. Don't get me wrong, I love my own cats, partner and flat but I've had so many panic attacks in this flat so I sometimes hate being here when I am in this state if you know what I mean? I also like to be alone when I feel like this but I know I need company too. A mix of alone time and company is needed.

This isn't my first time feeling like this. The first time happened earlier on this year, on Hogmanay to be precise. I took the worst panic attack of my life out the blue and the way I feel right now lasted a few weeks. I had severe depresonalisation/derealization during this time and thought it would never pass but it did and then this summer a lot happened and I went through another phase like how I am now except instead of DP/DR, it was mainly the hopeless and depressive feelings I have in this phase that I had. That lasted a good few weeks too. That shows that I don't handle stress and anxiety well. I let it build up until I reached breaking point like these times and that's not good for me.
Reply 18
Today was going well to start with. I slept for about 9 hours and I felt quite happy and mellow and then out the blue, I got into an argument with a friend and then I got a sharp pain in my upper back that lasted literally just a second or two but was enough to put me into utter panic and then I got a weird twitch/pulse sensation under my sternum that was so strong, stronger than any pulse I've felt and sadly I google and that came up with abdominal aortic aneurysm and I took a massive panic attack. that was about 3 hours ago and I still haven't fully shaken off the anxiety from it
Posted from TSR Mobile
Today was going well to start with. I slept for about 9 hours and I felt quite happy and mellow and then out the blue, I got into an argument with a friend and then I got a sharp pain in my upper back that lasted literally just a second or two but was enough to put me into utter panic and then I got a weird twitch/pulse sensation under my sternum that was so strong, stronger than any pulse I've felt and sadly I google and that came up with abdominal aortic aneurysm and I took a massive panic attack. that was about 3 hours ago and I still haven't fully shaken off the anxiety from it
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah dear rule number one of symptoms when in a panic never Google! Never Google!

Hope you're okay :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest