The Student Room Group

Spelt word wrong in UCAS? D:

Hi, I'm applying for English Literature and Creative Writing at top universities, and in my personal statement I spelt one word wrong:
I put compliments
instead of complements.
Be honest, would this lead to rejection?
Reply 1
you did spell compliments right though... ??
Reply 2
Original post by Leah910
you did spell compliments right though... ??

yes! It was meant to be complement, I put compliment with an i instead of e :-(
Original post by Pandorax
Hi, I'm applying for English Literature and Creative Writing at top universities, and in my personal statement I spelt one word wrong:
I put compliments
instead of complements.
Be honest, would this lead to rejection?

See my final bullet point here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563&p=37765516#post37765516
Reply 4
yes! It was meant to be complement, I put compliment with an i instead of e :-(

i doubt you'll get rejected over one word tbh....
Reply 5
Original post by Leah910
i doubt you'll get rejected over one word tbh....

Okay DDx Im really scared, if you have high predicted grades will they overlook the spelling mistake? Stupid i :frown:
Okay DDx Im really scared, if you have high predicted grades will they overlook the spelling mistake? Stupid i :frown:

Read what I posted. It tells you exactly what English admissions tutors think from the horse's mouth.
Reply 7
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Read what I posted. It tells you exactly what English admissions tutors think from the horse's mouth.

Thankyou! Hopefully it will be okay, I just don't want them to develop a negative idea of me because of that error Dx
Thankyou! Hopefully it will be okay, I just don't want them to develop a negative idea of me because of that error Dx

You are not going to be the only one. Very few personal statements are perfect.
Reply 9
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You are not going to be the only one. Very few personal statements are perfect.

Even if they are applying to an English Literature degree? D:
Even if they are applying to an English Literature degree? D:

Well, not in my experience, unfortunately. I've spent years of my life correcting them and not every student is particularly meticulous about carrying out the corrections. Not very much English literature coursework is faultless, either.
Reply 11
don't worry! the last sentence of mine said "I am particularly interested working with" which doesn't make as much sense, instead of "I am particularly interested in working with" and I currently have 4 offers for leeds, manchester, liverpool, and newcastle! They won't mind :smile:

Hi. I managed to misspell something too but I just received an offer. I don't think it matters :P. I mean, one letter can't matter.. they might not even notice ;p gl.
Reply 13
Original post by Kittyboy
Hi. I managed to misspell something too but I just received an offer. I don't think it matters :P. I mean, one letter can't matter.. they might not even notice ;p gl.

xDD woo, phew! Are you doing English Lit too and which uni? And yes, hoping that they get a bit tired of reading personal statements and kinda skim read it..XDD
xDD woo, phew! Are you doing English Lit too and which uni? And yes, hoping that they get a bit tired of reading personal statements and kinda skim read it..XDD

Yep, I'm doing literature.

Applying to Oxford durham southampton cardiff and sussex. The offer is from cardiff. You'll be fine, what were your as grades?
Reply 15
Original post by Kittyboy
Yep, I'm doing literature.

Applying to Oxford durham southampton cardiff and sussex. The offer is from cardiff. You'll be fine, what were your as grades?

Okay thankyou! I'm applying to southampton for one of mine as well! XD And AS: AAAB, Predicted: A* A* A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending