The Student Room Group

Gap year or graduate med entry?

Hey everyone,

I got this account especially for this.
So last year AS didn't go too well, I got an A in Biology, B in Maths, C in Chem and B in Spanish. I'm in A2 now and I've dropped Spanish.

My school refuses to predict me an A in chem so I can't apply to medicine this year, as virtually all unis want an A in chem .

My plan was/is to take a gap year and to not apply to uni at all.
But l feel like I should really consider studying another degree like biomedical science or neuroscience.
I need to make my decision asap as uni application deadlines are close plus I don't think I have any work experience for these degrees.

Is post graduate med entry worth it? and if so, what degrees are most enjoyable and related to medicine?

Alsoooo, I heard that some unis (don't know which ones) can transfer you straight into 2nd year of med school after studying 1yr of biomedical sciences and doing very well. Which unis (if any) provide this?

Sorry for all the questions, I would appreciate any advice. Thank you :smile:
Original post by cheeselover_
Hey everyone,

I got this account especially for this.
So last year AS didn't go too well, I got an A in Biology, B in Maths, C in Chem and B in Spanish. I'm in A2 now and I've dropped Spanish.

My school refuses to predict me an A in chem so I can't apply to medicine this year, as virtually all unis want an A in chem .

My plan was/is to take a gap year and to not apply to uni at all.
But l feel like I should really consider studying another degree like biomedical science or neuroscience.
I need to make my decision asap as uni application deadlines are close plus I don't think I have any work experience for these degrees.

Is post graduate med entry worth it? and if so, what degrees are most enjoyable and related to medicine?

Alsoooo, I heard that some unis (don't know which ones) can transfer you straight into 2nd year of med school after studying 1yr of biomedical sciences and doing very well. Which unis (if any) provide this?

Sorry for all the questions, I would appreciate any advice. Thank you :smile:

Get AAA and take a gap year. It is by far the better option (cheaper, shorter, less competitive).
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
Get AAA and take a gap year. It is by far the better option (cheaper, shorter, less competitive).

Do you advise me to even bother applying to another degree e.g. biomedical sciences this year?
Thanks.
Do you advise me to even bother applying to another degree e.g. biomedical sciences this year?
Thanks.

If you want to do medicine, just focus on getting AAA and apply next year.

It depends how confident you feel about getting AAA. If you think its risky, then by all means apply for backup choices this year.
Reply 4
Original post by ForestCat
If you want to do medicine, just focus on getting AAA and apply next year.

It depends how confident you feel about getting AAA. If you think its risky, then by all means apply for backup choices this year.

Ok, I'll look into it a bit more as I'm not 100% sure of medicine or getting an A in Chemistry.
Thank you for all your advice :smile:
Reply 5
Cant you just apply for an undergrad degree as a back up? I mean even if you don't get AAA at the end at least you can still go to uni and do a degree in biomedical sciences or something and then later consider g.e.m. And just to let you know postgrad medicine isn't the same as graduate entry medicine (gem). Postgrad medicine is what qualified doctors do.
Reply 6
Original post by polerat
Cant you just apply for an undergrad degree as a back up? I mean even if you don't get AAA at the end at least you can still go to uni and do a degree in biomedical sciences or something and then later consider g.e.m. And just to let you know postgrad medicine isn't the same as graduate entry medicine (gem). Postgrad medicine is what qualified doctors do.

Yep I think that's what I'm more leaning towards now. Ohhh okay oops, thanks for clearing that up!😊
Reply 7
Yep I think that's what I'm more leaning towards now. Ohhh okay oops, thanks for clearing that up!😊

Grad entry med is the hardest way to do it. Get the grades, take the gap year and apply for A100. If you don't make the grades, look in to applying with resits as a few unis do take them.
Only then would I consider graduate entry medicine. As it stands the prospects for graduate entry medicine and the profession look bleak. I say this as a graduate entry medic, do it properly the first time around.

Quick Reply

Latest