The Student Room Group

Do foundation years make me look unintelligent?

I'm on a Gap year reapplying for BSc Physics in Sep 2016.

I got BBC at A level in maths, physics and history respectively of which I needed BBB for my firm. I would most likely be predicted ABB-BBB.

I'm also considering whether if its worth applying for foundation courses at higher ranked universities. I wanted to apply to Bristol(AAB), Manchester(A*AA) & Durham(A*A*A) for their foundation year courses which I'm eligible to apply to as I would love to study there but I know I won't be able to achieve their entry requirement to their courses this year in May/June 2016 exams.

I'm most likely going to achieve ABB in May/June after my resits.

I would appreciate some constructive feedback. Thanks :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
No. Some of the best universities do foundation years, they wouldn't offer them if they felt they attracted stupid people.I don't know about Bristol or Manchester, but certainly Durham's foundation years are not for people who just did badly in their exams. They require at least a three year break between your A levels and starting uni.
no lmao, universities like sheffield, birmingham and southampton do foundation years asking for grades ABB-AAB which are even higher than some of their normal courses
Original post by Snufkin
No. Some of the best universities do foundation years, they wouldn't offer them if they felt they attracted stupid people.I don't know about Bristol or Manchester, but certainly Durham's foundation years are not for people who just did badly in their exams. They require at least a three year break between your A levels and starting uni.

So I can't apply to Durham foundation year course If I've taken a 1 year gap after my A levels? How do you know about Durham foundation year course & do you know anybody who took a foundation year course there?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
So I can't apply to Durham foundation year course If I've taken a 1 year gap after my A levels? How do you know about Durham foundation year course & do you know anybody who took a foundation year course there?

From the durham physics with foundation entry requirements page:

"We welcome applications from:

UK, EU and international students
Mature learners (over 21) with no formal qualifications*
Mature learners (over 21) with A-levels (or equivalents) which were obtained over three years ago
Young learners (under 21) with adverse circumstances which could not be mitigated by their academic provider (evidence will be required)"
I did a foundation year and I'm now in my 4th year studying physics at Durham, most people are proud I achieved something with bad A-levels (CCC).
A degree with a foundation year from a uni that's Russell Group or similar will make you look more intelligent than a degree without a foundation year from a uni that requires B / C grades.

Original post by Snufkin

Manchester is happy to take students straight from sixth form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending