The Student Room Group

Why do people go clubbing ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by driftawaay
I dont get it either. I would never waste money on it. Like you actually have to pay an entrance fee lmao. I just go to gigs.

This is how I feel.
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
I've never understood the purpose of this phenomenon. People attend sessions called 'pre-drinks' where they consume some amount of alcohol whilst playing drinking games. By the time they get to the club they're under the influence of alcohol and so do not entirely act on their own accord, nor do they remember many of the events that night

Upon arrival, more alcoholic beverages are purchased and attendees simply dance aimlessly for the whole night possibly hooking up with strangers and having intercourse that night without having any emotional attraction for eachother, some are even 'friends' before this, and remain as such post events. This is considered normal among a lot of young adults.

What is the point of intoxicating yourself to such levels, that leave you incapable of making decisions correctly, and amnesic. It's an expensive feat that bares no benefit whatsoever, it isn't like you can recall the night and say "that was a good night".

Now for those who might ask how I know this, I have lived on campus for 2 and a half years now, and have house mates who tell me what happens.

What happened to the days where going out involved going to places of interest, playing football with mates, going out for a meal, going to theme parks, sleep overs, watching movies, going ice skating, etc . This is not to say these don't happen anymore, they do of course, but no where near as much as "clubbing".

I asked my house mates why they go clubbing, they said they do it to fit in... sounds pretty pathetic in my opinion.

What are your thoughts on this ?

I hate it, I'd rather have a natter with my friends in my pjs rather than get dressed up to get perved on at a club tbh lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yasaminO_o
I hate it, I'd rather have a natter with my friends in my pjs rather than getting dressed up to get perved on at a club tbh lol

This is exactly how I feel. It just doesn't make sense at all to me.
This is how I feel.

This just in: People like different things!
I've never understood the purpose of this phenomenon. People attend sessions called 'pre-drinks' where they consume some amount of alcohol whilst playing drinking games. By the time they get to the club they're under the influence of alcohol and so do not entirely act on their own accord, nor do they remember many of the events that night

Upon arrival, more alcoholic beverages are purchased and attendees simply dance aimlessly for the whole night possibly hooking up with strangers and having intercourse that night without having any emotional attraction for eachother, some are even 'friends' before this, and remain as such post events. This is considered normal among a lot of young adults.

What is the point of intoxicating yourself to such levels, that leave you incapable of making decisions correctly, and amnesic. It's an expensive feat that bares no benefit whatsoever, it isn't like you can recall the night and say "that was a good night".

Now for those who might ask how I know this, I have lived on campus for 2 and a half years now, and have house mates who tell me what happens.

What happened to the days where going out involved going to places of interest, playing football with mates, going out for a meal, going to theme parks, sleep overs, watching movies, going ice skating, etc . This is not to say these don't happen anymore, they do of course, but no where near as much as "clubbing".

I asked my house mates why they go clubbing, they said they do it to fit in... sounds pretty pathetic in my opinion.

To be honest I have only ever gone drunk because the drunk me loves it. The sober me hates it.
So they can drink, meet new people and dance. I don't drink, like meeting new people or dancing so it isn't for me. However I can understand why other people do it. If my life was different I would do it.
I wouldn't mind clubbing if it wasn't so risky...
Reply 27
Simply because it's fun
Original post by 06sulraj
I wouldn't mind clubbing if it wasn't so risky...

Risky?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they mean sexual assault? :colone:
Sounds lame but I used to go just to maintain my friendships and because you have good drunken laughs before and after. The actual act itself is kind of rubbish.
Original post by karl pilkington
Sounds lame but I used to go just to maintain my friendships and because you have good drunken laughs before and after. The actual act itself is kind of rubbish.

Did you feel like if you did not go, you would have lost your friends ?

The majority of people who go to a club don't get drunk to the point where they are unable to take care of themselves or have no memory of what happened the next morning.

Most people will get drunk of course, but know to stop before they lose control of their own actions. The problem is that the ones who are completely hammered stand out much more, so you're more likely to notice the 1 person who is so drunk they can't stand than the 10 people who are fine.
Did you feel like if you did not go, you would have lost your friends ?

yeah as at uni that is the only thing we did outside lectures
Original post by william walker
I think they mean sexual assault? :colone:

That's it! :wink:
Reply 35
to get off tsr
Original post by callum_law
And the award for talking absolute bull**** goes to ...

You should try going with some girls for a night out then, it's fun and talking with the opposite sex never hurt anybody. :yy:
Original post by zyzzyspirit
You should try going with some girls for a night out then, it's fun and talking with the opposite sex never hurt anybody. :yy:

Maybe I just don't go to right clubs, in downtown LA where people pay for entrance to clubs with bags of ecstasy and rimjobs.
ppl go clubbing to have fun!
In my experience there are a few types of clubber

1. The peer pressure bitch - the one who doesn't like it but goes to fit in
2. The "im here to show off" kind - typically girls in tight dresses and six inch heels who take ****loads of pictures, also guys in blazers and smart attire who attend the really upmarket pretentious clubs,
3. The "lets get wasted and pretend its fun" mostly guys but increasingly girls, gets into a state of drunken stupor with their friends
4. The horny clubber - mostly desperate guys who approach every girl in the club, also girls though
5. The actual clubber who goes to listen to the music and enjoy the atmosphere, often on intoxicants of varying kind, paying attention to the act/DJ

I'd say number 5 is the rarest and when I go it's only really for the fifth reason

Quick Reply

Latest