The Student Room Group

Last night I got called the 'N' word...

So I go to a university in Cornwall which is a predominately white county. I'm in my second year of university and so far I hadn't experienced any racist encounters, but I have other black friends who have. Last night as I was sitting at the bus stop waiting to go on a night out, a car drove past me and the old guy in it shouted the 'N' word at me and stuck his finger up. At first I was so shocked that I was in disbelief, I didn't want to believe he had just said it but he did. That was the first time in my entire life I've had anyone call me, and I was extremely upset when it happened.

So the point of my post is to ask other ethnic students at predominately white universities, have you ever experienced racism? If so how did you deal with it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Novascope
So I go to a university in Cornwall which is a predominately white county. I'm in my second year of university and so far I hadn't experienced any racist encounters, but I have other black friends who have. Last night as I was sitting at the bus stop waiting to go on a night out, a car drove past me and the old guy in it shouted the 'N' word at me and stuck his finger up. At first I was so shocked that I was in disbelief, I didn't want to believe he had just said it but he did. That was the first time in my entire life I've had anyone call me, and I was extremely upset when it happened.

So the point of my post is to ask other ethnic students at predominately white universities, have you ever experienced racism? If so how did you deal with it?

Happens ALL the time with me and I'm not even in uni yet....imagine being black and Muslim lol....but life goes on I couldn't care less honestly they're pathetic and they'll die soon :smile: very nice
don't worry... there are some right weirdos down in Cornwall.

Wake up Britons, it's not Islamic culture slowly eroding our British values, but American culture!

I've had young kids (usually French tourists for an unknown reason) shout "ni hao" or "konichiwa" at me on a number of occasions. Don't they know that that's incredibly polite to an Asian? Its more appropriate to greet an Asian by bowing. Such culturally-insensitive thugs.

Usually I pay them no attention because they are a) kids b) idiots who warrant none of my time and effort.
Reply 4
Original post by sadly
Happens ALL the time with me and I'm not even in uni yet....imagine being black and Muslim lol....but life goes on I couldn't care less honestly they're pathetic and they'll die soon :smile: very nice

It's so frustrating... and people say racism doesn't exist lmao.

Original post by the bear

Ugh I know right. Here's me thinking I'm moving to a nice, sweet part of the country. Completely wrong lol.
I was so angry when I saw this :frown:

I've only been to uni for a few weeks and so far so good. The black and ethnic minority group here is very good so I have support in case it happens
It's so frustrating... and people say racism doesn't exist lmao.

Ugh I know right. Here's me thinking I'm moving to a nice, sweet part of the country. Completely wrong lol.

one minute they are plying you with clotted cream and pasties, the next minute it's Deliverance but without the folksy charm.
Reply 7
Yup I got called the N word and a Paki and some other **** in a weatherspoons. Almost had a fight break out until the bouncers came and stopped it all. The racist ***** got kicked out..

What's the word 'Emmet'? (People not from Cornwall)

Also knew a lad from Devon who was always complaining about those 'Grockles'... coming down from London...buying their second homes.. in his village... LOL
Reply 9
Original post by jedanselemyia
I was so angry when I saw this :frown:

I've only been to uni for a few weeks and so far so good. The black and ethnic minority group here is very good so I have support in case it happens

Ah that's good. Our Afro-Caribbean society is going quite strong now. My uni actually never had one until 2 years ago can you believe that?! But they've supported me a lot, as well as the asian and white students who are members of it.

one minute they are plying you with clotted cream and pasties, the next minute it's Deliverance but without the folksy charm.

Fml haha. I can't deny, Cornwall is a beautiful place and I love living here, but the people can be so iffy. I'm a lot warier now because of that situation last night...

Original post by 0range
Yup I got called the N word and a Paki and some other **** in a weatherspoons. Almost had a fight break out until the bouncers came and stopped it all. The racist ***** got kicked out..

Ugh that's just awful... Why does **** like that always happen in wetherspoons lol. I've heard countless stories of people being abused by racists and it always happens to be in that damn place.
I've been waiting for it to happen here tbh, but it hasn't. Quite surprised as the City is 99 percent white. However, it's happened to my Malaysian flatmate, same thing where a bunch of inbreds drive past and say something :frown:
Ah that's good. Our Afro-Caribbean society is going quite strong now. My uni actually never had one until 2 years ago can you believe that?! But they've supported me a lot, as well as the asian and white students who are members of it.

Wow really?? Although bham is quite a white uni, the ethnic and cultural socs are strong (thank f for that)
They're still in the dark ages down there.
Reply 13
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
They're still in the dark ages down there.

This is true. I went there once and was surprised at how civilised the place was. They even had running water and electricity!
Original post by Life_peer
So what? Do you expect us to pity you?

I thought the last two sentences of her post made it clear what her point was, and that she was not expecting people to pity her.

@Novascope It's always people in cars isn't it?? People like that are angry or scared about something, best to let them keep hold of that anger or fear, rather than letting them affect you with it. If somebody has to shout racist stuff at strangers out of their car window, then something must be very wrong in their life.
Reply 15
Original post by Life_peer
So what? Do you expect us to pity you? :dontknow: Some old dude shouted at you from his car because his opinion on globalisation is different and he was likely pissed off about something. No harm done to you or anyone else. Move on and don't act like this only happens to minorities in this ‘big bad white country’.

A hobo yelled at my mum something about how she's a bitch because she didn't want to buy some charity magazine from him or whatnot and she merely continued walking. Offence is taken, not given and you're an adult, so grow up.

LOL this is so sad!!! You're comparing what happened to you mum that 1 time compared to racism?? like way to excuse him because he's old, young old, in the deathbed or not it won't be excused and she has every rights to express her feelings on tsr like if you're not black don't speak about how others should act when they come across vile people!! The harm is in the weight it carries the historic significance of the word like...You grow up get a part time job and buy a book on the history of slavery...UK claims to be a mutliracial society but it's VERY racist country no denying that...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sadly
LOL this is so sad!!! You're comparing what happened to you mum that 1 time compared to racism?? like way to excuse him because he's old, young old, in the deathbed or not it won't be excused and she has every rights to express her feelings on tsr like if you're not black don't speak about how others should act when they come across vile people!! The harm is in the weight it carries the historic significance of the word like...You grow up get a part time job and buy a book on the history of slavery...UK claims to be a mutliracial society but it's VERY racist country no denying that...

'Bitch' can be a sexually demeaning word used to undermine women, I don't see how you can lose your **** so badly over OP's story and not over this story.

(This is not to say OP deserved what happened)
Reply 17
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
'Bitch' can be a sexually demeaning word used to undermine women, I don't see how you can lose your **** so badly over OP's story and not over this story.

(This is not to say OP deserved what happened)

Listen, you also need to invest some of the time you spend doing lord knows what and read up on slavery....I'm a BLACK WOMAN so you bet that I'm called a n***er and bitch on a daily basis but they're completely different. WHY are you excluding black women though? And trying to isolate the word bitch for only white women? I see what you're trying to do here and racism is a lot more than sexism in the way that- white women weren't lynched nor were they judged simply by your skin colour so....? Black women were not only exposed to sexism but racism so were raped, lunched and whipped!!! And you bet white women were on hand to degrade us like they do even now they're not comparable so shut the hell up YES I WILL LOSE MY **** if I'm degraded like that how sad you don't mention anything about how disgusting and vile that old man is for saying the n word to a young black girl you managed to show your inner racism by hinting on how we shouldn't lose our **** because black people are always angry and violent thugs right?? lmao.....like byeee
(edited 8 years ago)
why does it offend you
Original post by sadly
Listen, you also need to invest some of the time you spend doing lord knows what and read up on slavery....I'm a BLACK WOMAN so you bet that I'm called a n***er and bitch on a daily basis but they're completely different. WHY are you excluding black women though? And trying to isolate the word bitch for only white women? I see what you're trying to do here and racism is a lot more than sexism white women weren't lynched nor were they judged simply by your skin colour so....? They're not comparable so shut the hell up YES I WILL LOSE MY **** if I'm degraded like that how sad you don't mention anything about how disgusting and vile that old man is for saying the n word to a young black girl you managed to show your inner racism by hinting on how we shouldn't lose our **** because black people are always angry and violent thugs right?? lmao.....like byeee

why do u get so uptight about ni**** like who cares its a world

is someone called me whitey i wouldn't care....

like honestly,

no ****s given
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending