The Student Room Group

Last night I got called the 'N' word...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sadly
Listen, you also need to invest some of the time you spend doing lord knows what and read up on slavery....I'm a BLACK WOMAN so you bet that I'm called a n***er and bitch on a daily basis but they're completely different. WHY are you excluding black women though? And trying to isolate the word bitch for only white women? I see what you're trying to do here and racism is a lot more than sexism white women weren't lynched nor were they judged simply by your skin colour so....? They're not comparable so shut the hell up YES I WILL LOSE MY **** if I'm degraded like that how sad you don't mention anything about how disgusting and vile that old man is for saying the n word to a young black girl you managed to show your inner racism by hinting on how we shouldn't lose our **** because black people are always angry and violent thugs right?? lmao.....like byeee

If someone calls you a racist term report them to the police

Jeez lol

Original post by judogainz
why do u get so uptight about ni**** like who cares its a worldnegro=Blackis someone called me whitey i wouldn't care....

It's not ok to use racist language, but if you can get evidence, just report it.

Or you can write out essays so you can compete in the oppression olympics with your friends on tumblr
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
why do u get so uptight about ni**** like who cares its a world

negro=Black

is someone called me whitey i wouldn't care....

Literally...whites are the ones that oppressed us and lynched us and raped us and whipped us and swore at us and degraded us and used n***er as a dehumanising slur like how in the world did you jump to the conclusion that "whitey" and the n word were the same??? YOU ARE soooo sad like don't quote me until you read up on what "whiteys" did to the n***ers they took from their country to the USA to abuse....
Reply 22
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
If someone calls you a racist term report them to the police

Jeez lol

It's not ok to use racist language, but if you can get evidence, just report it.

Or you can write out essays so you can compete in the oppression olympics with your friends on tumblr

lol that's so naive...you think the police care? They arrest black people for so many petty things they would give white people TICKETS for so.....you would never know after all so jump to all those conclusions why don't you
Original post by sadly
lol that's so naive...you think the police care? They arrest black people for so many petty things they would give white people TICKETS for so.....you would never know after all so jump to all those conclusions why don't you

Police in this country are fairly unbiased.

If you have evidence of these crimes and the police did nothing, contact maybe the Guardian and complain that you suffer these things and nothing is done, they cannot ignore it then. File complains, complain to the police watchdog whatever it takes. What gets me isn't that I think you should have to face this abuse, it's that you seem to want to ignore it and then complain to your imaginary friends online, than go out and solve it.
Original post by sadly
Literally...whites are the ones that oppressed us and lynched us and raped us and whipped us and swore at us and degraded us and used n***er as a dehumanising slur like how in the world did you jump to the conclusion that "whitey" and the n word were the same??? YOU ARE soooo sad like don't quote me until you read up on what "whiteys" did to the n***ers they took from their country to the USA to abuse....

lol just continue to dwell on it

All whites??

these blacks are the ones that steal my BMX

two can play at that game

c'mon
Original post by sadly

your one of those... LOLOLOL

WHat a load of bul****
Its never happened to me no, but just ignore it these people are pathetic,
'Bitch' can be a sexually demeaning word used to undermine women, I don't see how you can lose your **** so badly over OP's story and not over this story.

(This is not to say OP deserved what happened)

Exactly he even goes on about 'historical context' and yeah slavery was obviously very bad but it was abolished in the British empire in 1833.

Right up until 1991 however in England and Wales a man couldn't be prosecuted for raping his wife..because she was his wife and that was deemed consent enough.

So yeah its not exactly massively different?
Reply 28
Police in this country are fairly unbiased.

If you have evidence of these crimes and the police did nothing, contact maybe the Guardian and complain that you suffer these things and nothing is done, they cannot ignore it then. File complains, complain to the police watchdog whatever it takes. What gets me isn't that I think you should have to face this abuse, it's that you seem to want to ignore it and then complain to your imaginary friends online, than go out and solve it.

lol you act like I don't do all of the above, like I don't record any problem I face with the police, like I haven't given my lawyer all I've collected but okay...you be you I guess and I'll continue leading my life as a black women....
he wouldn't like it if you called him the 'c' word, would he.
sorry about your situation.
Reply 30
Original post by e aí rapaz
I thought the last two sentences of her post made it clear what her point was, and that she was not expecting people to pity her.

@Novascope It's always people in cars isn't it?? People like that are angry or scared about something, best to let them keep hold of that anger or fear, rather than letting them affect you with it. If somebody has to shout racist stuff at strangers out of their car window, then something must be very wrong in their life.

Original post by sadly
LOL this is so sad!!! You're comparing what happened to you mum that 1 time compared to racism?? like way to excuse him because he's old, young old, in the deathbed or not it won't be excused and she has every rights to express her feelings on tsr like if you're not black don't speak about how others should act when they come across vile people!! The harm is in the weight it carries the historic significance of the word like...You grow up get a part time job and buy a book on the history of slavery...UK claims to be a mutliracial society but it's VERY racist country no denying that...

Thanks for having common sense and understanding my post.

'Bitch' can be a sexually demeaning word used to undermine women, I don't see how you can lose your **** so badly over OP's story and not over this story.

(This is not to say OP deserved what happened)

Lol get out of here. You cannot compare. Bitch isn't just used as a sexually demeaning word. That persons mum got called a bitch because someone was mad at her for not buying something, I was called a ****** by a racist for no reason
Reply 31
*makes post about experiencing racism, has *******s turn it around and make me look like the one with the issue*

Even when we're in the right people wanna make it out like we're wrong. Idiots.
Original post by Triple-Sod
Exactly he even goes on about 'historical context' and yeah slavery was obviously very bad but it was abolished in the British empire in 1833.

Right up until 1991 however in England and Wales a man couldn't be prosecuted for raping his wife..because she was his wife and that was deemed consent enough.

So yeah its not exactly massively different?

Exactly.

I don't for a moment think what happened to OP is ok or a normal part of life she just needs to accept, but to write out a whole essay demanding sympathy as some sort of survivor and then have zero empathy for what was another hate crime of the exact same gravity, it says a lot about her and how she sees herself in the world.

Original post by Novascope
Lol get out of here. You cannot compare. Bitch isn't just used as a sexually demeaning word. That persons mum got called a bitch because someone was mad at her for not buying something, I was called a ****** by a racist for no reason

It's the exact same.

One is a racially demeaning word, one is a sexually demeaning word, neither of you deserved it, but you seem to lack empathy for people other than yourself.
Original post by Life_peer
So what? Do you expect us to pity you? :dontknow: Some old dude shouted at you from his car because his opinion on globalisation is different and he was likely pissed off about something. No harm done to you or anyone else. Move on and don't act like this only happens to minorities in this ‘big bad white country’.

A hobo yelled at my mum something about how she's a bitch because she didn't want to buy some charity magazine from him or whatnot and she merely continued walking. Offence is taken, not given and you're an adult, so grow up.

You're the one who needs to grow up. I actually agree with some of the so called "right wing nut jobs" on here but this post is pure idiocy.

Trying to spin that someone using the N word, a racist insult, just means that their "opinion on globalisation is different"? No. Do one. That's not like disagreeing with immigration or something, that's just plain stupidity from him. As you've also displayed. Are you socially stunted or just playing dumb? :h:

You're not even British yourself lmao, you're an immigrant. What about "globalisation" in your case? (Yeah I'm an immigrant too, as people can guess from my username, but I'm not the one making nutty posts)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1420462
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
why do u get so uptight about ni**** like who cares its a world

is someone called me whitey i wouldn't care....

like honestly,

no ****s given

Are you serious? Do you not know where the word originated from? We get "uptight" because it's racist! Didn't realise we couldn't get mad at racism now. So many ignorant people on here wow.
Reply 35
Exactly.

I don't for a moment think what happened to OP is ok or a normal part of life she just needs to accept, but to write out a whole essay demanded sympathy as some sort of survivor and then have zero empathy for what was another hate crime of the exact same gravity, it says a lot about her and how she sees herself in the world.

It's the exact same.

One is a racially demeaning word, one is a sexually demeaning word, neither of you deserved it, but you seem to lack empathy for people other than yourself.

Nope, you're missing the point that bitch is used it many different contexts though, ****** only has ONE meaning. I don't lack empathy. I made this post about something that happened to ME and wanted to find out if others experienced similar. If this was a post about being called a bitch then I'd care. I DONT care because someone tried to compare that to my situation and tell me to grow up. That's disrespectful.
What is wrong with you? I never demanded sympathy my god! Did you completely miss the last paragraph of my post??
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm sorry you had to experience that Nova. It is utterly unnecessary and downright rude.

Just remember those people are a minority and tend to be uneducated.
Reply 37
So I go to a university in Cornwall which is a predominately white county. I'm in my second year of university and so far I hadn't experienced any racist encounters, but I have other black friends who have. Last night as I was sitting at the bus stop waiting to go on a night out, a car drove past me and the old guy in it shouted the 'N' word at me and stuck his finger up. At first I was so shocked that I was in disbelief, I didn't want to believe he had just said it but he did. That was the first time in my entire life I've had anyone call me, and I was extremely upset when it happened.

So the point of my post is to ask other ethnic students at predominately white universities, have you ever experienced racism? If so how did you deal with it?

:console:
Well I know I'm one of a few who doesn't take any racist remarks to heart. :ninja:
To anyone who is mean to me I just says thanks then move on with life and hardly sometimes retaliate (with words :cool:)

Don't let people put you down when you've got your own life (and maybe the people around you) to make amazing :party:
:console:
I'm so sorry to hear this! I am someone from London who lives in Cornwall, and racism is a terrible thing at the moment. I am white, and I experience racist comments for not being Cornish! Anyone who is not a middle-aged white Cornish man, they hate you. Having lived here for 6 years, it is an awful and backward place to live. I'm so sorry you experienced this!
*makes post about experiencing racism, has *******s turn it around and make me look like the one with the issue*

Even when we're in the right people wanna make it out like we're wrong. Idiots.

I'm white and I agree.

Just lol @ the cheek of some white people "immigrating" to your country themselves and then having the balls to say that using racist insults is just "having an opinion on globalisation."

I have met some Polish and South African idiots who are not British either, but moved here only recently and yet think they "belong" more than non white people and it's OK to say racist things :rolleyes:

Unfortunately some people from Eastern Europe for example (he's Slovakian) grow up in racist cultures, move to more "diverse" but still largely white countries like the UK and then think they have some kind of royal status over non white actual Brits or they deserve to be accepted more. Just look at his thread asking if he'll be accepted as an international student
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending