The Student Room Group

UK man facing Saudi lashes plead with PM

Scroll to see replies

Their backwards, deranged laws definately should not be respected but if you don't follow them while under the consequences you will realistically face the consequences. Dave isn't gonna do **** to upset the Saudis. He's already bent himself over backwards for the Chinese with their horrific human rights records and he'll have even more of an incentive (oil) to bend over for the saudis.
I hope he can understand why he is being lashed as it is happening. Deserves it 100%.

HE BROKE THE LAW.Unless he has lost his mind, I support him being punished. Call me an animal or brutal, but if came to the U.K from america and brought over a gun, then I deserve to be jailed for being a dumb ass like this guy.

I don't agree with the law, same as I don't agree with many UK laws but I comply with them.
Original post by Howard
Go report all you want! What do you think - this is high school? Run along and tell teacher. What am I going to get - ****ing detention? Take her a shiny apple as well.:rolleyes:

You are so stupid, I hope no one in this thread takes your seriously. You aren't adding anything other than being butthurt that you are never going to be as rich as saudis like many other jealous people on this thread lol
Original post by RiskVsReward
I hope he can understand why he is being lashed as it is happening. Deserves it 100%.

HE BROKE THE LAW.Unless he has lost his mind, I support him being punished. Call me an animal or brutal, but if came to the U.K from america and brought over a gun, then I deserve to be jailed for being a dumb ass like this guy.

I don't agree with the law, same as I don't agree with many UK laws but I comply with them.

You seem to be conflating morals with laws, they are not one and the same. He definately doesn't deserve to be jailed for having wine but he should expect it nonetheless because it's illegal.
Original post by Docjones1
You seem to be conflating morals with laws, they are not one and the same. He definately doesn't deserve to be jailed for having wine but he should expect it nonetheless because it's illegal.

He does deserve it because he broke the law.
But I don't agree with the law- however that's what I believe which also doesn't matter here.

Well said!
Original post by Bill_Gates
Well said!

These guys are just heros on the internet. I bet they could give **** all in real life lol.
Already did! :P

Yep. I stayed at hotels in Sharjah and Ajman and they were serving alcohol in the club lounge, although i was too busy building a sand castle.

That sand castle part made me LOL.:lol:
He does deserve it because he broke the law.
But I don't agree with the law- however that's what I believe which also doesn't matter here.

The word deserve is defined as:

"do something or have or show qualities worthy of (a reaction which rewards or punishes as appropriate)".

I don't believe having 350 lashes is an appropriate punishment to having wine. Don't say he's not being punished for having wine but for breaking the law, because breaking the law isn't necessarily morally wrong or deserving of punishment (as many people break the law and get away without punishment because it's appropriate in the circumstance.)

I could argue semantics all day but I'd rather just say the following. Idealling we should intervene and prevent the man from being harmed under their archaic, facist laws. Realistically absolutely **** all will be done because Davey and his oil baron buddies won't want to piss of the Saudis
(edited 8 years ago)
This aint a big deal it's not going to kill him it's way worse if you go to prison in one of these third world countries
Original post by queen-bee
some people put themselves in danger. Why would you do that knowing alcohol is not allowed there and some Arab Emirates too.
I don't believe in sharia law but I believe in respecting the law of the country one is in

So when homosexuality was a crime in britain it was the gays' own fault if they got punished; since they should have just had to live their lives according to an unjust law?
Original post by Docjones1
The word deserve is defined as:

"do something or have or show qualities worthy of (a reaction which rewards or punishes as appropriate)".

I don't believe having 350 lashes is an appropriate punishment to having wine. Don't say he's not being punished for having wine but for breaking the law, because breaking the law isn't necessarly morally wrong or deserving of punishment (as many people break the law and get away without punishment because it's appropriate in the circumstance.)

I could argue semantics all day but I'd rather just say the following. Idealling we should intervene and prevent the man from being harmed under their archaic, facist laws. Realistically absolutely **** all will be done because Davey and his oil baron buddies won't want to piss of the Saudis

Respectfully, I am not here to play with semantics,as you by the sound of it, understand what I mean.

I think david cameron has bigger fish to fry than deal with someone who has broken a law and is being punished over it. Maybe he should get that Muslim guy out of USA prison he has been in for 10+ years lol, who has pretty much been abandoned instead this guy.

You can blame it on david as much as you wish, but you are naive if you think that this one person is worth corroding international realtions over.
Original post by iamthetruth
This aint a big deal it's not going to kill him it's way worse if you go to prison in one of these third world countries

He's a pensioner, his family are concerned it will kill him.

I read he has already spent time in prison as well, although I could be misremembering that.
British man who is facing 350 lashes in Saudi Arabia after homemade wine was found in his car have pleaded with David Cameron

- Should Dave intervene? that's if he can, he's currently too busy sucking up to our new Chinese masters.

Personally i think he should just take it like a man, considering he blatantly knew he was in the wrong.

Bill
Intervene how?

I am sure the Foreign Office has made its protests.

I am sure Saudi Arabia knows that the damage to its country will be significant.

Saudi Arabia is not ran by rational human beings. They are paranoid, dangerous, autocratic, theocratic lunatics, and whilst they are still able to buy off dissent with oil proceeds nothing is going to change that.
Original post by Llamageddon
Intervene how?

I am sure the Foreign Office has made its protests.

I am sure Saudi Arabia knows that the damage to its country will be significant.

Saudi Arabia is not ran by rational human beings. They are paranoid, dangerous, autocratic, theocratic lunatics, and whilst they are still able to buy off dissent with oil proceeds nothing is going to change that.

Agreed, not much Dave can do. The Chinese call the shots now.
Please don't use derogatory/racist terms:headbang:
Indonesia and Singapore punish drug trafficking with death. Is that moral?
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Indonesia and Singapore punish drug trafficking with death. Is that moral?

Lol no one will care about it until someone it happens to one of their own.
Lol no one will care about it until someone it happens to one of their own.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindsay_Sandiford_case
Reply 79
That it is the law doesn't make it a good law. It's like 20's Prohibition Law; regularly flouted and sporadically punished. That's enough to make it a bad law. When the punishment is the definition of barbarism then the position of that law as good law is untenable

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending