The Student Room Group

Last night I got called the 'N' word...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Novascope
Nope, you're missing the point that bitch is used it many different contexts though, ****** only has ONE meaning. I don't lack empathy. I made this post about something that happened to ME and wanted to find out if others experienced similar. If this was a post about being called a bitch then I'd care. I DONT care because someone tried to compare that to my situation and tell me to grow up. That's disrespectful.

The N word is often used in rap music and it isn't racist so yes just like the world bitch is it contextual

You made a post telling people you faced racial abuse (absolutely fine) you asked other people if they have faced similar things (still good) and someone answers that his mum faced something similar and you are like 'gtfo this is about me'
Reply 41
Original post by TorpidPhil
I'm sorry you had to experience that Nova. It is utterly unnecessary and downright rude.

Just remember those people are a minority and tend to be uneducated.

Thank you for being considerate and not completely ignorant. Being called a ****** in an age where supposedly "racism doesn't exist" is ****ed. But what I find ****ed right now is the fact that people on here have the audacity to tell me i'm wrong for pointing out what happened and wanting to find out from others if they've experienced and how they dealt with it. Crazy how ignorant people are.
Reply 42
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
The N word is often used in rap music and it isn't racist so yes just like the world bitch is it contextual

You made a post telling people you faced racial abuse (absolutely fine) you asked other people if they have faced similar things (still good) and someone answers that his mum faced something similar and you are like 'gtfo this is about me'

Yes and I HATE when that word is used in rap. So what's your point?

No someone answered with an extremely rude post telling me to grow up (why do I need to grow up because someone called me a racist word?) and then had the cheek to try and compare it to something that was completely different. THAT's my issue. If you can't see where that person went wrong then you're just as bad.
Original post by sadly
Listen, you also need to invest some of the time you spend doing lord knows what and read up on slavery....I'm a BLACK WOMAN so you bet that I'm called a n***er and bitch on a daily basis but they're completely different. WHY are you excluding black women though? And trying to isolate the word bitch for only white women? I see what you're trying to do here and racism is a lot more than sexism in the way that- white women weren't lynched nor were they judged simply by your skin colour so....? Black women were not only exposed to sexism but racism so were raped, lunched and whipped!!! And you bet white women were on hand to degrade us like they do even now they're not comparable so shut the hell up YES I WILL LOSE MY **** if I'm degraded like that how sad you don't mention anything about how disgusting and vile that old man is for saying the n word to a young black girl you managed to show your inner racism by hinting on how we shouldn't lose our **** because black people are always angry and violent thugs right?? lmao.....like byeee

so true sister. Racism exists and is not only perpetrated by White people but by ethnic minorities. I can tell you about the amount of abuse I get from my black African family for being dark skinned. It is trickled down from white racial abuse and they have ingested this and project it onto me. Everyone's life and dignity is on a totem.
We even categorized who should be protected from prejudice the most. I think us black woman were never a priority.
Yes and I HATE when that word is used in rap. So what's your point?

No someone answered with an extremely rude post telling me to grow up (why do I need to grow up because someone called me a racist word?) and then had the cheek to try and compare it to something that was completely different. THAT's my issue. If you can't see where that person went wrong then you're just as bad.

Yeah your opinion is that it is racist when used in rap, but maybe Kayne West disagrees.

Just to make clear I thought the first part of the guys post was stupid and nasty, using racist insults is not justified by opinions on globalisation, but in reality using sexist insults and using racist insults are of equal magnitude.
Original post by Life_peer
So what? Do you expect us to pity you? :dontknow: Some old dude shouted at you from his car because his opinion on globalisation is different and he was likely pissed off about something. No harm done to you or anyone else. Move on and don't act like this only happens to minorities in this ‘big bad white country’.

A hobo yelled at my mum something about how she's a bitch because she didn't want to buy some charity magazine from him or whatnot and she merely continued walking. Offence is taken, not given and you're an adult, so grow up.

its not the same mate, have some respect yeah?
Reply 46
Original post by SwedishRedhead
I'm white and I agree.

Just lol @ the cheek of some white people "immigrating" to your country themselves and then having the balls to say that using racist insults is just "having an opinion on globalisation."

I have met some Polish and South African idiots who are not British either, but moved here only recently and yet think they "belong" more than non white people and it's OK to say racist things :rolleyes:

Unfortunately some people from Eastern Europe for example (he's Slovakian) grow up in racist cultures, move to more "diverse" but still largely white countries like the UK and then think they have some kind of royal status over non white actual Brits or they deserve to be accepted more. Just look at his thread asking if he'll be accepted as an international student

Thanks for being understanding. It's just bizarre how some people actually think in this world lol. The whole concept of racism is just stupid and it needs to vanish. But sadly, for as long as this world still exists I doubt racism will ever go away, because clearly racism is like a cycle that's passed down through generations. What doesn't help are the people who try to tell victims of racism to shut up, or tell them that racism doesn't exist when it does.
Original post by sadly
Listen, you also need to invest some of the time you spend doing lord knows what and read up on slavery....I'm a BLACK WOMAN so you bet that I'm called a n***er and bitch on a daily basis but they're completely different. WHY are you excluding black women though? And trying to isolate the word bitch for only white women? I see what you're trying to do here and racism is a lot more than sexism in the way that- white women weren't lynched nor were they judged simply by your skin colour so....? Black women were not only exposed to sexism but racism so were raped, lunched and whipped!!! And you bet white women were on hand to degrade us like they do even now they're not comparable so shut the hell up YES I WILL LOSE MY **** if I'm degraded like that how sad you don't mention anything about how disgusting and vile that old man is for saying the n word to a young black girl you managed to show your inner racism by hinting on how we shouldn't lose our **** because black people are always angry and violent thugs right?? lmao.....like byeee

I've never seen someone get so upset at someone else saying "Yes, racism sucks, but they can still be upset about people saying nasty things even if they're white".
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
its not the same mate, have some respect yeah?

That guy isn't even British. He is Slovakian (an immigrant like myself..) who made a thread himself worrying about if he "would be accepted" as an international student. So much for disliking globalisation. :rofl:

Also based on his threads he seems to have a chip on his shoulder against non white people.
Original post by judogainz
why do u get so uptight about ni**** like who cares its a world

is someone called me whitey i wouldn't care....

like honestly,

no ****s given

you dont have a history of being ****ed over for being white. quite the opposite actually....
Reply 50
Original post by RebeccaTheWhovia
I'm so sorry to hear this! I am someone from London who lives in Cornwall, and racism is a terrible thing at the moment. I am white, and I experience racist comments for not being Cornish! Anyone who is not a middle-aged white Cornish man, they hate you. Having lived here for 6 years, it is an awful and backward place to live. I'm so sorry you experienced this!

Nice to hear that from someone also living here. I get the sense that not only some Cornish people racist, but there seems to be a lot of classism down here. It sucks because I love Cornwall as a place but experiences like mine, yours and others that have happened to my friend make me feel really disappointed to be here.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I've never seen someone get so upset at someone else saying "Yes, racism sucks, but they can still be upset about people saying nasty things even if they're white".

Exactly.

Nothing I've said is anti-immigrant, nothing I have said gives off the sense I think that what happened to Novascope is anything other than unacceptable, but to see people hear other stories of other people's oppression and simply respond with huge essays about how their oppression matters more because...

I just think they only care about themselves
Yeah your opinion is that it is racist when used in rap, but maybe Kayne West disagrees.

Just to make clear I thought the first part of the guys post was stupid and nasty, using racist insults is not justified by opinions on globalisation, but in reality using sexist insults and using racist insults are of equal magnitude.

next you're gonna tell me the world is flat and that the sun rotates round the earth...
Reply 53

Okay... Still don't get your point? Do I look like I care about Kanye West. The word is completely wrong and needs to stop being used by EVERYONE.

I'm sorry but I don't believe that, simply because in your first replies to me and someone else you didn't seem like you thought his post was "stupid" and "nasty" because you actually said a few similar things as he did to me.
Reply 54
Exactly.

Nothing I've said is anti-immigrant, nothing I have said gives off the sense I think that what happened to Novascope is anything other than unacceptable, but to see people hear other stories of other people's oppression and simply respond with huge essays about how their oppression matters more because...

I just think they only care about themselves

I hope that's excluding me lmao.
Thanks for being understanding. It's just bizarre how some people actually think in this world lol. The whole concept of racism is just stupid and it needs to vanish. But sadly, for as long as this world still exists I doubt racism will ever go away, because clearly racism is like a cycle that's passed down through generations. What doesn't help are the people who try to tell victims of racism to shut up, or tell them that racism doesn't exist when it does.

He quite clearly doesn't have a problem with globalisation because that is the reason people like him are in this country lol. Also, based on his thread history, he got butthurt one time because people were making threads saying "I'm Asian, AMA" etc. and made a thread saying "I'm white, AMA" with a whiny OP mentioning them. So much for growing up and not being sensitive, evidently people mentioning their cultural background was some kind of personal attack on him. :rolleyes:

It's hilarious when people try to hide racism behind **** arguments. I'd just place on your ignore list and avoid listening to him. You can't change some people and he doesn't seem either smart enough or self aware enough to try listening, he just wanted to make a (bad) attack at you for calling out racism.

I think @TorpidPhil hit it on the head btw, some people are just uneducated. Next time maybe try to get the registration number of the car/film it on your phone and report to police. Although (not that I would face that as a Swedish person) I would have been pretty surprised if someone had done something like that too. Its not what you expect in the UK
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56
Since when do you only "care about yourself" when you talk about an experience you went through AND try to find out what's happened to others.

edit* Trying to find out what's happened to others is the completely opposite of only caring about yourself lmao.
So sad :frown:

Not much you can do against animals like that. The media is just making it worse as they know they can sell papers to these buffoons.
Original post by LeyK
:console:
Well I know I'm one of a few who doesn't take any racist remarks to heart. :ninja:
To anyone who is mean to me I just says thanks then move on with life and hardly sometimes retaliate (with words :cool:)

Don't let people put you down when you've got your own life (and maybe the people around you) to make amazing :party:
:console:

if only it were that simple...
Okay... Still don't get your point? Do I look like I care about Kanye West. The word is completely wrong and needs to stop being used by EVERYONE.

I'm sorry but I don't believe that, simply because in your first replies to me and someone else you didn't seem like you thought his post was "stupid" and "nasty" because you actually said a few similar things as he did to me.

I hadn't read the top bit of his post tbh

Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
next you're gonna tell me the world is flat and that the sun rotates round the earth...
How is using racist insults worse than using sexist insults?

I hope that's excluding me lmao.
No it's not, you're one of the worst here for this

Overall this thread is a massive ****fest, I would say at least one or two of the posters are genuine anti-black racists, but there are also selfish posters who clearly have problems with anything which takes the focus off them specifically.

Personally what I say, get rich and move to a nice affluent area where people are not racist. Cornwall for all it's natural beauty is a depressed ex-mining ****hole

Quick Reply

Latest