The Student Room Group

I'm not attracted to and avoid so-called 'alpha' males

Am I the only women who is just not turned on by alpha males?

I mean first of all I find the whole concept ridiculous when these self-proclaimed alphas tout about how much 'game' they have and how life for them is about attaining status simply to get more women into bed. I mean I just feel that is so sad and empty really. I can't understand why any woman would want to go for an emotionally unavailable, ego-centric man who's life purpose is to conquer woman after woman with no regard for their well being whatsoever. And even if they do commit to a woman they will later trade her in for a newer model. I mean chasing an alpha male, or letting him pursue you, is just asking for a hard life. I've had quite a few of these 'alphas' try it on with me but I see through their BS and shut them down.

I would much rather a man who is emotionally intelligent and available, sees me a an equal and is a team player, is genuine rather than trying to put on an hard-man act and is truly confident (not an egomaniac...), passionate about their field rather than just pursuing it to get more women, doesn't play games and focuses on building a real connection.

Guys accuse us of chasing all of the bad boys and ignoring all the nice guys. I do hope to see things change where we as women will start to look a bit deeper and see who we can form a better connection and a healthy relationship with. My boyfriend is one of the nice, sweet, caring guys and still very successful and hard working he graduated recently from a top law school and got a TC - he is very passionate for the love of his subject rather than doing it just to impress people or rake in the women.

So what do you think?
Men do you feel pressure to put on an 'alpha' front and attain more status? And women do fall time and time again for these types of men?

Scroll to see replies

The alpha/beta thing doesn't really matter as much in the real world. You can have traits attributed to both alpha and beta, instead of you being a black and white apha OR beta smh.

No, don't feel pressured. I'm happier just being myself instead of confining to **** social labels.
Reply 2
Original post by kantdothis
The alpha/beta thing doesn't really matter as much in the real world. You can have traits attributed to both alpha and beta, instead of you being a black and white apha OR beta smh.

No, don't feel pressured. I'm happier just being myself instead of confining to **** social labels.

I know that most people are probably a mix of traits. But I am referring to the men who actually walk around calling themselves 'alpha' and telling other men to be more 'alpha' and calling other men 'beta'.

But I'm glad that you don't feel pressure to act like those buffoons :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I know that most people are probably a mix of traits. But I am referring to the men who actually walk around calling themselves 'alpha' and telling other men to be more 'alpha' and calling other men 'beta'.

I think those men are compensating for something. Something small. Down below.
Reply 4
Why do girls always have to kill it by saying guys have to be confident, why can't you just be attracted to awkward weirdos with no social skills... GAH!

But I don't think your right in saying most women chase these egocentric misogynistic types, in fact I don't think there's that many guys like that, it's just an assumption people make when they see a group of guys who look a certain way when in fact their most likely perfectly nice people who've just drunken to much.
I'm pretty sure most Alpha males don't go on The Student Room.
Can't help being attracted to those kind of people. They're usually much more confident. Can't deal with awkward, quiet individuals.
Original post by Jared44
I'm pretty sure most Alpha males don't go on The Student Room.

I accidentally repped you. I'm not sure what rep does. But I want it back.

On topic, why not? I know a few that do.

I mean first of all I find the whole concept ridiculous when these self-proclaimed alphas tout about how much 'game' they have and how life for them is about attaining status simply to get more women into bed. I mean I just feel that is so sad and empty really. I can't understand why any woman would want to go for an emotionally unavailable, ego-centric man who's life purpose is to conquer woman after woman with no regard for their well being whatsoever. And even if they do commit to a woman they will later trade her in for a newer model. I mean chasing an alpha male, or letting him pursue you, is just asking for a hard life. I've had quite a few of these 'alphas' try it on with me but I see through their BS and shut them down.

I would much rather a man who is emotionally intelligent and available, sees me a an equal and is a team player, is genuine rather than trying to put on an hard-man act and is truly confident (not an egomaniac...), passionate about their field rather than just pursuing it to get more women, doesn't play games and focuses on building a real connection.

Guys accuse us of chasing all of the bad boys and ignoring all the nice guys. I do hope to see things change where we as women will start to look a bit deeper and see who we can form a better connection and a healthy relationship with. My boyfriend is one of the nice, sweet, caring guys and still very successful and hard working he graduated recently from a top law school and got a TC - he is very passionate for the love of his subject rather than doing it just to impress people or rake in the women.

So what do you think?
Men do you feel pressure to put on an 'alpha' front and attain more status? And women do fall time and time again for these types of men?

Does your boyfriend get a lot of female attention? Is he very good looking? Is he a rugby player?

So what do you think?
I remember reading somewhere that women in more dangerous places / are less economically prefer more "manly" men, while the opposite is true for their polar counterparts.
Reply 10
I also think your post seems like your looking down on others 'MY boyfriend is one of the nice sweet caring types' ... 'VERY SUCCESSFUL'

Sorry if this wasn't what you were going for though.
Original post by John55
Why do girls always have to kill it by saying guys have to be confident, why can't you just be attracted to awkward weirdos with no social skills... GAH!

But I don't think your right in saying most women chase these egocentric misogynistic types, in fact I don't think there's that many guys like that, it's just an assumption people make when they see a group of guys who look a certain way when in fact their most likely perfectly nice people who've just drunken to much.

My point was actual confidence is different to the false confidence that these 'alphas' display. But for the record my boyfriend is quite shy and has more of what I call a 'quiet confidence'. He has also had to work on his social skills and make a big effort and can be a bit awkward sometimes, he especially was around me when he first met me. But I found it cute and flattering.

And I didn't say most women do chase these men. I said we are accused so often of chasing the bad boys and ignoring the nice guys. And I hope that for the women that do chase these men that they stop setting themselves up for failure. I know they definitely don't have as many women lining up for them as they like to think.
Original post by Flying Lotus

You repped him without the intention to rep so you're not guilty of rep.
Original post by John55

I kindof am tbh - I definitely go for shy, under-confident guys. If you've ever watched Friday night lights, Matt Saracen is pretty much my ideal of a male personality.

I think it's fairly common for extroverted confident women - most of my friendship group are the same :/

The ones that thrive on their vanity wouldn't really go on an internet forum like thestudentroom.
Doesn't really give them much street credibility.

I'm sure some do, but hence why I said most.
Original post by John55
I also think your post seems like your looking down on others 'MY boyfriend is one of the nice sweet caring types' ... 'VERY SUCCESSFUL'

Sorry if this wasn't what you were going for though.

My point was to say that a man can be driven to success through passion rather than the love of women. These 'alphas' are only interested in success to get women.
Original post by Jared44
The ones that thrive on their vanity wouldn't really go on an internet forum like thestudentroom.
Doesn't really give them much street credibility.

I'm sure some do, but hence why I said most.

I know very intelligent vain boys. You meet plenty at university. I don't think the guys post regularly but they do use it.
I know very intelligent vain boys. You meet plenty at university. I don't think the guys post regularly but they do use it.

You're missing the point.
I know, there's loads at my uni.
But there are much more people that don't go on thestudentroom, than those who do.
Does your boyfriend get a lot of female attention? Is he very good looking? Is he a rugby player?

No he's not a rugby player nor is he built like one. He is blonde, 5'11", lovely eyes, medium build just a pretty average guy. But what drew me to him was his personality he is an altruistic, genuine, and fun person :h: I would not say he gets a lot of female attention.

A true alpha doesn't go around calling themselves one. Only wanna be beta males do that. You probably are still attracted to true alphas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending