The Student Room Group

What you want?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yasaminO_o
wow this escalated quickly lol

Indeed. You want to remove some of the institutions of the state. You can't be British.
Original post by william walker
Because Britain isn't the government. It is the institutions of the nation state.

Then what is it?

Think before you answer, because you know I will respond
No it isn't possible to be both. You can't call yourself British and have a clear allegiance to another nation. This is why people born and raised in Britain go and join the IRA and ISIL.

Identifying with two nationalities doesn't mean you'll become an extremist...
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
Then what is it?

Think before you answer, because you know I will respond

It is the seven institutions which makeup the nation state of Britain. The Monarchy, Aristocracy, Church of England, House of Commons, Government, Courts and Media. As a whole they are the British nation state. The government as one institution can't change what Britain is.
Indeed. You want to remove some of the institutions of the state. You can't be British.

Slavery was an institution - was it un-British when that was abolished?
It is the seven institutions which makeup the nation state of Britain. The Monarchy, Aristocracy, Church of England, House of Commons, Government, Courts and Media. As a whole they are the British nation state. The government as one institution can't change what Britain is.

What gives you the authority to decide that they are what Britain is?
Identifying with two nationalities doesn't mean you'll become an extremist...

It does means you are more likely to oppose Britain and its institution. As those institutions will in the end destroy your foreign legacy and force you to become British. You obviously want to keep you Azerbaijani legacy, so you oppose maintaining the power of institutions like the Church of England and Aristocracy.
Slavery was an institution - was it un-British when that was abolished?

Slavery was a form of economic trade. Not an institution.

I think the enslavement of the Irish from Cromwell was un-British yes. I also think it was a disgrace that it continued until the mid 1700's.
What gives you the authority to decide that they are what Britain is?

Because they are institutions of the nation state. They have the power and authority.
Slavery was a form of economic trade. Not an institution.

I think the enslavement of the Irish from Cromwell was un-British yes. I also think it was a disgrace that it continued until the mid 1700's.

Unfortunately you seem to be in denial about this aspect of history. Slavery was very much an institution.
Because they are institutions of the nation state. They have the power and authority.

This is totally meaningless.

Your future boss has power and authority, does that make him a British institution?
Unfortunately you seem to be in denial about this aspect of history. Slavery was very much an institution.

How was it an institution? It was supported by institutions of the state as a form of economic trade and further suppressing the Celtic Irish.
It does means you are more likely to oppose Britain and its institution. As those institutions will in the end destroy your foreign legacy and force you to become British. You obviously want to keep you Azerbaijani legacy, so you oppose maintaining the power of institutions like the Church of England and Aristocracy.

This is quite xenophobic to be honest. I can't completely renounce my own history and I absolutely won't just to conform to what you seem to think is Britishness. I am British as well as Azerbaijani. It seems our definitions are vastly dissimilar.
This is totally meaningless.

Your future boss has power and authority, does that make him a British institution?

Seriously.

The institutions I have mentioned have power and authority because of legacy from their founding.
Classical liberalism.
Seriously.

The institutions I have mentioned have power and authority because of legacy from their founding.

This doesn't mean anything, literally, it's like fairy dust, it's bull****

Rupert Murdoch is pretty big in the media, is he a British institution?

It means something if you are British. Which is my entire point. You are British as you can't understand that.

Wouldn't be surprised if he said yes tbh
Wouldn't be surprised if he said yes tbh

His opinions make no sense, he cannot just claim that things he like are British and things he dislikes are anti-British.
This is quite xenophobic to be honest. I can't completely renounce my own history and I absolutely won't just to conform to what you seem to think is Britishness. I am British as well as Azerbaijani. It seems our definitions are vastly dissimilar.

Xenophobia is fear of the unknown. So no, not xenophobic at all. You are Oikophobic because you fear the Britain you know and want to change it. We can do this all day throwing terms at each other however it is pointless to do that.

My mother is Irish, I am not Irish. I am British. You can forsake your foreign legacy and fully accept British legacy if you wanted to do so. As I have done. You don't have to renounce that your parents are of Azerbaijani ancestry or have an interest in learning more about it. However you can't call yourself Azerbaijani and British at the same time.

Quick Reply