The Student Room Group

Sugar tax and offers ban 'would work' says report

Scroll to see replies

Obesity costs the NHS £4 billion a year and puts severe stress on the organisation as a whole. Now I wonder how much money extreme sport enthusiasts cost the NHS?

It isn't anything to do with fat shaming (not I find anything wrong with it anyway). Unless you think smokers, alcoholics and drug addicts are also wrongly shamed?

Original post by KingBradly
The only reason the masses are so "moronic" is because they don't have to take care of themselves, and so don't know how to.

Not really relevant. Point is it is too late to all of a sudden give everyone a responsibility over their own lives again. Sure in theory, everyone being self-sufficient and responsible sounds brilliant but it isn't very practical.
Reply 81
Original post by KingBradly
The only reason the masses are so "moronic" is because they don't have to take care of themselves, and so don't know how to.

You still haven't defined what you actually mean by responsibility.

the state or fact of being responsible, answerable, or accountable for something within one's power, control, or management.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Tax should be used to subsidize healthier foods.... otherwise

REGRESSIVE TAX

Well the science (insofar as sociology is a science :teehee:) says it does work. So that isn't grounds to be against it really. Since it probably would have the intended effect.

I think it is equally valid to put it towards subsidising the NHS, no?

Hopefully they will also bring in a processed meat tax soon given the new WHO guidelines on meat and cancer...
Can't believe I have to educate another person on this. BMI is a flawed method of calculating both obesity and health. You may be under the "BMI" norm but that doesn't necessarily make you healthy. Even if you were then tough luck. I have to pay more for alcohol despite not being an alcoholic. I have to pay tax that contributes towards the NHS despite never using the service. You do realise that a sugar tax, if proved successful in saving the NHS funds then you would save money in the long run?

As for your second point, it may not cure alcoholics who are already too far gone but it can help to avoid others binge drinking to such a degree that it causes serious health problems. You disagree?

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh26-1/22-34.htm

'The majority of this research clearly supports the view that increases in the monetary prices of alcoholic beverages, which can be achieved by raising Federal, State and local alcohol taxes, significantly reduce alcohol consumption.'

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/apr/23/alcohol-prices-violence-study-binge-drinking

Irrational and stupid reasoning? Coming from the person who tried to compare the costs of obesity to extreme sport and fitness fanatics :rofl: :rofl:
So what exactly was the point in you bringing them up? Please explain...

How have they fat shamed exactly? By stating that their is an obesity problem (which there is) and that obesity is bad? (which it is).

Sugar isn't even taxed yet so how can you say other food should already be taxed? And no, stop exaggerating, only low fat versions of dairy are encouraged. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/milk-dairy-foods.aspx

'The total fat content of dairy products can vary a lot. Fat in milk provides calories for young children and also contains essential vitamins such as vitamin B2 and vitamin B12.

However, much of the fat in milk and dairy foods is saturated fat. For older children and adults, eating too much fat can contribute to excess energy intakes, leading to becoming overweight. A diet high in saturated fat can also lead to raised levels of cholesterol in the blood, and this can put you at increased risk of a heart attack or stroke.'

Are you claiming that most obese people are suffering from either mental issues or physical? That's laughable. Obesity is mostly caused by laziness, poor education in nutrition, lack of exercise, long working hours and the price of healthy food.

Therefore a sugar tax (only if the money goes to reducing the price of healthy food) would prove beneficial. Not sure how that's so difficult for you to understand.
The government should start a taxation tax, where you're taxed a on certain amount of the tax you pay.
Original post by Captain Jack
When there are problems like this, why is the cost and responsibility always passed onto the public though? Why can't the Government just legislate an acceptable percent of sugar in food. It'd be harder for the food producers, but who cares?
This is what I was thinking.

But, again, there are things that I enjoy, albeit very occasionally, and i'd miss them if they were no longer available.

Serious suggestion: forget the tax and bring back rationing.
Are you seriously dense? I just showed you evidence that dairy is both encouraged and discouraged. The fatty type of dairy is discouraged which is all that matters.

Well done for ignoring most of the post though and replying with nonsensical dribble.
My denial? Sorry, didn't realise all those statistics and studies were simply 'denial'. But please, continue to play the victim.
Did anyone ever doubt that it would 'work'?

That's not the point. The point is whether it's appropriate for the state to interfere in people's lives in this way.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
I wish people would stop peddling this nonsense to excuse their poor dietary habits. A calorie is not simply a calorie.

Well, for your average overweight person looking to lose weight..... it is.
(edited 8 years ago)
it's a complete hoax :

genetic
environment
chemicals
stress
eating the wrong fats, margarine, sunflower oil, soybean oil etc
sugar alternatives,
Think this tax should be implemented even though i love sugary things should help.
Anything to get their vaults filling.
Original post by Asklepios
Sugar tax is a bad idea, because companies will just pass the cost onto consumers.

"Sugar tax is a bad idea, because it's going to do what the intention of the tax is."
40g (10 teaspoons) of sugar in one Sainsbury's ultimate chocolate muffin is just unreal. And stuff like this is sitting on shelves ready for purchase.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mr Flak Jacket
40g (10 teaspoons) of sugar in one Sainsbury's ultimate chocolate muffin is just unreal. And stuff like this is sitting on shelves ready for purchase.

It simply doesn't need to be so high and if it has to be we have to ask ourselves should it really be sold when it is so many times over the RDA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Flak Jacket

I've heard the idea of teaspoon labelling being introduced for sugar, as well as the usual grams.

Some people look at the label, see so many grams of sugar but have no idea how much that is. Teaspoon labelling might help them visualise it better and make people realise how high (or low) the sugar content is.
Reply 98
I think I could agree to this tax, even though i have disagreed with it at the start of the thread, if the tax money went directly to giving extra funding to more swimming pools or a subsidy on bicycles.
I don't want a sugar tax. The Gov. might veil it as something to reduce diabetes etc. but if people are addicted would a tax stop them? The real reason for this is the Government to take more money, with a side argument of making people less fat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending