The Student Room Group

Sugar tax and offers ban 'would work' says report

"A 20% sugar tax and cutting buy-one-get-one-free deals are part of Public Health England's "key actions" to cut sugar consumption."

Top breaking story on BBC right now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34603118

Looks like it's definitely on the agenda, but will it happen?

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

I would support the introduction of a sugar tax. Although, when they say sugar do they mean refined sugar as well as artificial sweeteners? Because some artificial or 'natural' alternatives to refined sugar are also not particularly healthy. If all that happens is that producers replace sugar with artificial sweeteners I don't think that's going to be a great outcome.

And I'd definitely support the reduction in advertising to children.

When they say cutting BOGOF deals, is that for products high in sugar only or for everything?

Spoiler

why should the rest of us pay more for things because some people can't control what they eat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agreed! - I think it's ridiculous!!! As a student, I struggle enough as it is, and having something sugary shouldn't cost even more than it does at the moment!

And I'm assuming this is just on the food sugar, not on Alan Sugar :tongue: He earns quite a bit, and he'd take quite a hit having to pay 20% tax on everything!
(edited 8 years ago)
I support the introduction of sugar tax, I also think there is a benefit to limiting BOGOF if it relates to sugary treats and not food which benefits our body.

I think putting prices up isn't going to change anyone's habits, people will find a way to pay. There needs to be a focus on educating people and helping them to comprehend and understand how eating affects their emotional and physical health as well as their energy levels.

To be honest, we need to change our whole culture when it comes to eating in this country.....
Tax should be used to subsidize healthier foods.... otherwise

REGRESSIVE TAX

Original post by She-Ra
I support the introduction of sugar tax, I also think there is a benefit to limiting BOGOF if it relates to sugary treats and not food which benefits our body.

I think putting prices up isn't going to change anyone's habits, people will find a way to pay. There needs to be a focus on educating people and helping them to comprehend and understand how eating affects their emotional and physical health as well as their energy levels.

To be honest, we need to change our whole culture when it comes to eating in this country.....

Well the science (insofar as sociology is a science :teehee:) says it does work. So that isn't grounds to be against it really. Since it probably would have the intended effect.
(edited 8 years ago)
"Yeah, I was gonna gorge myself on that multipack of Mars bars, but now they're around 15p more expensive than they were last week, think I'll just stick to carrots." - no-one, ever.
Original post by Odd socks
why should the rest of us pay more for things because some people can't control what they eat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why should I pay a quid to the government every time I buy a pint of beer just because some people can't control what they drink?
Original post by cole-slaw
Why should I pay a quid to the government every time I buy a pint of beer just because some people can't control what they drink?

Your paying in to cover your future liver problems

:wink:
In 2013, 24% of the population in the UK were obese (source). By doing this, the rest of the UK are being punished. Limiting BOGOF offers, is limiting producer choice, and therefore, to an extent consumer choice. Sugar is also relatively inelastic, and so the consumer burden of this tax will be ridiculously high, and for those of us who are not obese/unhealthy, and who have a ridiculous income (ie. this is a student site, student loans...) then this isn't helping, but hurting. It's reducing the amount we have to spend on books etc, just because we WILL buy these sugary goods.

My question is: will student loans increase to cover this sugar tax???
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Tax should be used to subsidize healthier foods.... otherwise

REGRESSIVE TAX

Well the science (insofar as sociology is a science :teehee:) says it does work. So that isn't grounds to be against it really. Since it probably would have the intended effect.

Unless you change the emotion behind the behaviour you're not really going to change you're overall eating habits. It may limit the regularity of eating sugary treats because the expense but it won't make them think - this is bad for me so I'm not going to eat it.
I'm definitely up for supporting the reduction in offers, because I think people should pay what food is worth.

Still undecided on the tax though...
Original post by She-Ra
Unless you change the emotion behind the behaviour you're not really going to change you're overall eating habits. It may limit the regularity of eating sugary treats because the expense but it won't make them think - this is bad for me so I'm not going to eat it.

So it's had the desired effect whether they have learned anything or not. Job done. Probably like how I would buy more booze if it wasn't so dam expensive :mad: When I actually have good income I'm gonna have to limit booze :erm:
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

In Britain a quarter of people are obese and 61% are overweight or obese, so I think at this point it's probably fair to say it's more than 'some people'.

It's a serious public health problem, and the thing about it is that's it *not* because people are lazy or lacking self control - so many factors about modern society contribute to the epidemic: sedentary lifestyles, cheap processed foods, family cars - all things that are very very difficult to avoid.

I reckon anything that makes people think about the amount of sugar in their diet is helpful, as well as anything that might stop food companies adding sugar. It's not just sweets and fizzy drinks, it's 'hidden' sugar too in things like ready meals and pasta sauces that you wouldn't even think about normally.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Your paying in to cover your future liver problems

:wink:

I know you're being humorous, but realistically, as long as I continue to drink moderately in line with the vast majority of people, that's not going to happen.

So what am I paying for? and why shouldn't fatties pay for their sugar hit at the same rate?
Original post by mobbsy91
In 2013, 24% of the population in the UK were obese (source). By doing this, the rest of the UK are being punished. Limiting BOGOF offers, is limiting producer choice, and therefore, to an extent consumer choice. Sugar is also relatively inelastic, and so the consumer burden of this tax will be ridiculously high, and for those of us who are not obese/unhealthy, and who have a ridiculous income (ie. this is a student site, student loans...) then this isn't helping, but hurting. It's reducing the amount we have to spend on books etc, just because we WILL buy these sugary goods.

My question is: will student loans increase to cover this sugar tax???

Are you being serious?

How much sugar do you buy?

If you eat chocolate regularly and drink multiple cans of coke then perhaps your weekly bill will go up to £5 etc per week, but these should be a treat item not something you indulge in regularly.

It's also going to hugely affect your energy levels at uni if you're eating sugary foods regularly, your blood sugar levels will be on a constant roller-coaster.
Original post by cole-slaw
I know you're being humorous,

Dam

Troll attempt failed.

Well personally I'd quite like my bills to be as low as possible.
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. So much this.

I could really improve my diet in some areas, I'm not pretending to be a picture of health. But I eat sugary and fatty foods sometimes and manage not to get fat while doing it. I don't see why I should have to pay more for them just because of other people who can't/won't exercise a bit of self control and/or feed their kids properly.

Offers and certain advertising is a different matter, but sugar taxes are fundamentally unfair to those who enjoy "unhealthy" foods responsibly. Unless you do something like subsidise healthy food at the same time, so the cost to those people balances out (as ChaoticButterfly said), but I haven't once seen that idea discussed properly whenever this sugar tax thing is in the news. I've seen it talked about on this forum, but never beyond that level like in the news or when these reports come out.
Original post by She-Ra
Are you being serious?

How much sugar do you buy?

If you eat chocolate regularly and drink multiple cans of coke then perhaps your weekly bill will go up to £5 etc per week, but these should be a treat item not something you indulge in regularly.

It's also going to hugely affect your energy levels at uni if you're eating sugary foods regularly, your blood sugar levels will be on a constant roller-coaster.

Ok... I was slightly joking about the books etc... However, in all seriousness, when I'm in need of a new laptop (as I am now), I'm trying to save every last penny... Even a couple of quid a week, is £100 a year - to a student, that's quite a lot...

Generally, I don't eat or drink much sugar since I've actually reduced what I eat in general since being at uni, so this won't really effect me massively, but it will affect others...

Quick Reply

Latest