The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexp98
I was thinking of doing Law or Business law by I hear the prospects after graduating are poor for non RG uni graduates? I would be doing it an average uni like DMU or Hertfordshire, Leicester as the ambitious option so is it not worth doing Law if you don't do it at a top uni?

Thanks

Try the law forum, lots of law grads on there who know their stuff.
Law is a respected degree no matter where you study. However if you plan to be a barrister or solicitor at a top firm unfortunately the university often matters. However i'm hoping to do law with business at an average uni. That could then lead into a career path of business management if i wanted as well as keeping a career path in law open.
Reply 3
Original post by fireway10
Law is a respected degree no matter where you study. However if you plan to be a barrister or solicitor at a top firm unfortunately the university often matters. However i'm hoping to do law with business at an average uni. That could then lead into a career path of business management if i wanted as well as keeping a career path in law open.

hmm, ok thanks guys will have to take some time to research more!
Reply 4
Generally you would need to go to a well respected university, ie RG, but form what I've been told, the Leicester is considered to be a good one by firms as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah it's a waste of £50k to do law at a non-RG university. you'd be better off doing a stem degree
Reply 6
Hi, thanks which stem degrees would you recommend? A list of good ones would be appreciated and then I can research them all further :smile:
Original post by alexp98
Hi, thanks which stem degrees would you recommend? A list of good ones would be appreciated and then I can research them all further :smile:

engineering, physics, mathematics, medicine/dentistry/vet med, or computer science
just dont do law. full stop.
Pointless at any uni. Do a technical degree.
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
just dont do law. full stop.

Or go to an RG, rather than Essex.
Original post by callum_law
Or go to an RG, rather than Essex.

we meet again, fucboi
Original post by TimeWalker
Pointless at any uni. Do a technical degree.

Or go to an RG, rather than Hull.
One of the bigger problems you'll face employment-wise is that, if you're going to a non RG uni, chances are you don't have AAA/AAB A levels. A lot of firms filter applicants on that basis.

But I've seen people with firsts from non-RG unis get to good firms and good sets at the Bar. Often they have a master's degree from a more prominent university.

I was tempted to take the intellectually pure approach to this, that it's worth studying whether it gets you a job or not, but I gather it is career opportunities that interest you.
Original post by callum_law
Or go to an RG, rather than Hull.

Don't be scared if you personally want to go into law and hear others talking about it as a degree, it doesn't diminish your career chances. For my original career interest you need a first degree. Hull isn't a bad uni at all (it's not the town) and the elitist attitude on TSR towards many unis, is inaccurate and reeks of naivety and inexperience of the world.

It isn't really your uni which determines where you end up but something else.

Degrees are necessary for some career paths. Law works for some people or if you want to do postgraduate work it is a serious first degree. Degrees with a lot of advanced knowledge and challenge which reflect work in the everyday world, are all worth doing.
my friend completed a law degree at DMU and the opportunities that she's had since getting that degree are incredible! People look at your degree at the end of the day, 'good' universities are always subject to change
The thing is, law is an over saturated industry as it is. So to be honest the odds are against you making it unless your in the top ten unis let alone top 20,30 - then polys, That being said if its a degree which interests you and the your happy with the career options it provides then why does any of our opinions matter ?
Original post by TimeWalker
Hull isn't a bad uni at all (it's not the town) and the elitist attitude on TSR towards many unis, is inaccurate and reeks of naivety and inexperience of the world.

Actually in this context TSR is largely responding to the statistics.

Have a look at this report: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

Whether everyone is interpreting those statistics correctly is a different question. I tend to think there's a large degree of correlation at play: the truth is that most people who have the necessary qualities to be competitive in legal applications are able to get into high ranking universities.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Actually in this context TSR is largely responding to the statistics.

Have a look at this report: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

Whether everyone is interpreting those statistics correctly is a different question. I tend to think there's a large degree of correlation at play: the truth is that most people who have the necessary qualities to be competitive in legal applications are able to get into high ranking universities.

I agree there's a correlation. Those who can make good applications are preemptively determined to do them and will be able to get into higher ranking unis.

To the OP, if you have a sincere, sustained interest in law as a career, you'll end up in the right uni. In my experience non-RG would be fine as well and shouldn't overshadow you at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ParadiseFound
The thing is, law is an over saturated industry as it is. So to be honest the odds are against you making it unless your in the top ten unis let alone top 20,30 - then polys, That being said if its a degree which interests you and the your happy with the career options it provides then why does any of our opinions matter ?

It sounds like you're in the top 10, so I shall be listening to your wise words.

Honestly, people, if you don't do a law degree, pipe the **** down offering your opinion on them. Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending