The Student Room Group

Last night I got called the 'N' word...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sadly
Literally...whites are the ones that oppressed us and lynched us and raped us and whipped us and swore at us and degraded us and used n***er as a dehumanising slur like how in the world did you jump to the conclusion that "whitey" and the n word were the same??? YOU ARE soooo sad like don't quote me until you read up on what "whiteys" did to the n***ers they took from their country to the USA to abuse....

What do you mean us, you're probably Somalian.
Original post by MrKmas508

so, and and she could be another African ethnicity, or even a convert.
Original post by MJlover
so, and and she could be another African ethnicity, or even a convert.

Well is she's Somalian then she isn't a descendant of a white owned slave therefore she cannot use that as a jingoistic excuse for antagonising people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Novascope
So I go to a university in Cornwall which is a predominately white county. I'm in my second year of university and so far I hadn't experienced any racist encounters, but I have other black friends who have. Last night as I was sitting at the bus stop waiting to go on a night out, a car drove past me and the old guy in it shouted the 'N' word at me and stuck his finger up. At first I was so shocked that I was in disbelief, I didn't want to believe he had just said it but he did. That was the first time in my entire life I've had anyone call me, and I was extremely upset when it happened.

So the point of my post is to ask other ethnic students at predominately white universities, have you ever experienced racism? If so how did you deal with it?

The rural areas around the country are often predominately white so unfortunately there will be some racism, although I don't believe the majority of people are. On the plus side if he's never seen much of the world then he was probably some inbred with twelve toes.
Some of the comments on here are appalling, so many of you are so ignorant. Just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't affect the person that it does happen to.

For example, someone could lose their dad and even though it wouldn't hurt you personally because the deceased man is not your father, try to think of it from their point of view. They wouldn't expect you to mourn for them. Just ps0akdkff

And just before you think about quoting me to start some form of debate, there's literally no point because I won't reply :kiss:
Was the only brown kid in my 6th form in a rural town coming from a mostly East Indian/black city in the Caribbean. I'm not even black and was called the n word and other stuff. I fought a lot with neighbours, students and staff, whatever, you know. Learning experience.

I've since moved but dealt with it for 3 yrs. Not a good feeling at all but I've become hardened and don't really empathize because I'm sure you've experienced racism before if you're more pragmatic about things, just not such explicit racism as that old fool.
How is that racism?
Reply 87
All you can do is ignore ignorant, racist ***** like that.
Reply 88
Original post by That 2Fase
How is that racism?

1/10 trolling skills. Try harder next time.
Original post by sadly
Happens ALL the time with me and I'm not even in uni yet....imagine being black and Muslim lol....but life goes on I couldn't care less honestly they're pathetic and they'll die soon :smile: very nice

Hey, you, what do you mean all the time? Talk to me, bub..
Original post by m3m
All you can do is ignore ignorant, racist ***** like that.

It's definitely not all you can do...but it seems like the best option. I had to adjust myself but in the beginning I was swinging at everyone, because I wasn't used to it. I'm from the Caribbean lol
Reply 91
Original post by That 2Fase
How is that racism?

Ha ha. You were probably the guy in that car

And..? So what if she is??
Reply 93
Original post by rat poison
It's definitely not all you can do...but it seems like the best option. I had to adjust myself but in the beginning I was swinging at everyone, because I wasn't used to it. I'm from the Caribbean lol

Or you can beat the **** out of them then :yes:
Original post by ParadiseFound
****ing *******

Lol @ him scrambling for arguments. :rofl:
Original post by rat poison
And..? So what if she is??

Scroll up and read my reply.
Original post by m3m
Or you can beat the **** out of them then :yes:

Yea, for short term satisfaction. But it only works when you're a teenager; I can't do **** like that anymore. Which is crazy because if it were reversed, a white guy might get away with his violence upon someone of color, yet if I reacted that way...
Scroll up and read my reply.

no **** that, I'm not going on a hunt for your post :curious:; be an adult and just articulate what you mean!
Reply 98

You're forgetting how Somalia was colonised and torn apart from each other by France, Italy and Britain so shut the hell up??? In fact there's a whole unit we're being taught called the scramble for Africa? Like is Britain even denying their attempt to control and enslave Africa as a whole?? Yes we were lynched, yes we were raped and killed in the masses but there is no way I am saying we were taken we were all enslaved but you bet as a black woman I'm going to defend us all like?? Read Warriors by Gearld Hanley tit's really good and you kinda need to be enlightened since you are really lacking basic historical knowledge like how sad :frown:
Original post by Novascope
So I go to a university in Cornwall which is a predominately white county. I'm in my second year of university and so far I hadn't experienced any racist encounters, but I have other black friends who have. Last night as I was sitting at the bus stop waiting to go on a night out, a car drove past me and the old guy in it shouted the 'N' word at me and stuck his finger up. At first I was so shocked that I was in disbelief, I didn't want to believe he had just said it but he did. That was the first time in my entire life I've had anyone call me, and I was extremely upset when it happened.

So the point of my post is to ask other ethnic students at predominately white universities, have you ever experienced racism? If so how did you deal with it?

If I was called the N word by a random person I wouldn't care tbh.. Not saying its ok for the person to do it but I really wouldn't care about what the person thinks about me.. No stranger will have the power to make me feel upset.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending