The Student Room Group

Finally got a graduate job but really scared about starting it :/

So I'm a 2014 law graduate that has wanted to go into accountancy. However, I can't apply to big companies due to not being able to pass numerical reasoning and smaller companies aren't interested in me. This has resulted in me looking at other options.

So I have just found a legal assistant job at a high street firm doing family law. I found family law really interesting at Uni and am excited about my new job.

However, now that it's kicked in I'm starting in just over a week , I'm getting really nervous to the point I'm having multiple panic attacks a day. Thinking about having to perform basic office duties like photocopying , telephone etc scares me as I've never had an office job.

I keep thinking them hiring me might have been a mistake and what if I get fired when they realise how incompetent I am. After looking at the role specs I saw I have to interview clients , open case files etc I feel that is too much responsibility and what if I can't deliver.

Another thing that worries me is that I'm a pretty reserved person. In my retail job I was okay with the manager but we didn't connect that well. I got on well with the staff but I wasn't really close to any of them. I just keep thinking what if I don't connect with my new colleagues .

sorry about the ramble , I'm just feeling really stressed right now. Any advice ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dbdb
So I'm a 2014 law graduate that has wanted to go into accountancy. However, I can't apply to big companies due to not being able to pass numerical reasoning and smaller companies aren't interested in me. This has resulted in me looking at other options.

So I have just found a legal assistant job at a high street firm doing family law. I found family law really interesting at Uni and am excited about my new job.

However, now that it's kicked in I'm starting in just over a week , I'm getting really nervous to the point I'm having multiple panic attacks a day. Thinking about having to perform basic office duties like photocopying , telephone etc scares me as I've never had an office job.

I keep thinking them hiring me might have been a mistake and what if I get fired when they realise how incompetent I am. After looking at the role specs I saw I have to interview clients , open case files etc I feel that is too much responsibility and what if I can't deliver.

Another thing that worries me is that I'm a pretty reserved person. In my retail job I was okay with the manager but we didn't connect that well. I got on well with the staff but I wasn't really close to any of them. I just keep thinking what if I don't connect with my new colleagues .

sorry about the ramble , I'm just feeling really stressed right now. Any advice ?

I started my legal administration role for a national law firm about five months, I was a bag of nerves at first (having partners and solicitors around you can be quite intimidating). However, now I'm comfortable with the tasks I perform on a day to day basis, and everyone treats me as part of the 'family'. Being the youngest employee of the first has its perks haha, but seriously, you should be fine:smile:
You can always hop on the long old unemployment que or join the masses in the land of minimum wage. You've got a good deal going. Don't fear it. Embrace it and prosper
Go on the dole. Much better option than working

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dbdb

Just remember they wouldn't have hired you if they didn't believe you capable enough.
I had the exact same thoughts during the first couple of months during my job. It's natural :smile: The best thing to do is go in there with a positive attitude and throw yourself into it! They know what they are looking for in a candidate and you obviously fit the bill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by King Leonidas
I started my legal administration role for a national law firm about five months, I was a bag of nerves at first (having partners and solicitors around you can be quite intimidating). However, now I'm comfortable with the tasks I perform on a day to day basis, and everyone treats me as part of the 'family'. Being the youngest employee of the first has its perks haha, but seriously, you should be fine:smile:

what perks
Original post by tehforum
what perks

I'm the youngest in the office (22) and have the best physique, it's not hard considering I'm the only one who lifts there haha.

I've had several perks from the same person (lets just say I'm looking forward to the xmas party:yy:)

Anyway, being young allows me to indulge in banter and be a sickcunt.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by King Leonidas
I'm the youngest in the office (22) and have the best physique, it's not hard considering I'm the only one who lifts there haha.

I've had several perks from the same person (lets just say I'm looking forward to the xmas party:yy:)

Anyway, being young allows me to indulge in banter and be a sickcunt.

ayy an office fling
Original post by tehforum
ayy an office fling

All I've gotta say is

Spoiler

Original post by dbdb

Hi,

Congratulations on securing your new job!

All your concerns are totally natural - the first day on the job is always a bit nerve-wracking! However, I always find it encouraging to think that, after the first hour of being there, you will feel a lot more relaxed as you will have a better idea of what to expect.

I would recommend identifying who is the best person to ask questions on your first day, whether that's your manager or another co-worker. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and remember, everyone is a little nervous on their first day - and your co-workers will respect and understand that :-)

If you need any further advice, we have some great articles over on Milkround that may help - including: 'Five big fears when starting your first job, and how to overcome them' & 'The university-to-workplace transition doesn’t have to be a nightmare'

Hope that's helpful - best of luck on your first day!

Thanks,

Chantelle & The Milkround team
If you're really scared, my advice would be to quit the job aspiration and work as a hairdresser in the local barber
Original post by dbdb

You have 2 obvious options.

Either go to the Job,
Or don't

Don't worry about the "what if you can't deliver" worst case you will lose your job in which case, you are in the same position as you would be if you didn't go.
So what if you get fired? what do you lose? the job that you wouldn't have anyway if you didn't turn up. You've got nothing to lose so don't worry You might as well give it a shot.

With the greatest of respect, do you have some kind of learning difficulty or impairment that would hinder you from passing a numerical reasoning test?

The reason I'm asking, is because those numerical reasoning tests are basically GCSE Level maths. If you don't have any learning disability/impairment and you were able to do your degree, then it is probable with a bit of preparation you could do the numerical reasoning tests.

Good luck with the new job
Original post by dbdb
However, now that it's kicked in I'm starting in just over a week

Original post by Jess9700

A helpful response, but I think 4 years is quite a bit longer than a week so they're probably over it by now.

Quick Reply

Latest