The Student Room Group

Maths needed at the top unis

I'm really conflicted over my choice of a-levels and i really want someone to just say it straight to me. Which of these 3 combos should i choose?
1) Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Psychology
2) Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Art
3) Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Art
Some background first: i hate maths with a passion, but i would probably be able to take the a-level to A2... I would just really not enjoy it. And at the moment i'm doing IGCSE maths and Ad-Maths, with predicted high grades (would this be enough instead of the a-level seeing as i'm going into medicine not maths?)
I'm really keen to get into Oxford/Imperial/Kings and after reading all the research about which subjects to take for them; they all say chemistry and one other science (biology/physics) or maths - but many of the applicants have taken chemistry, biology and maths. There aren't many people who haven't taken maths and got in. Would not taking maths really hinder my chances?
Number 3 choice would be my ideal and i would love every minute of the lessons; plus i would be able to achieve high grades in all of them. Do the top universities still look at subjects like psychology and art as "soft" choices. Loads of people/teachers say just do what you enjoy - but what if that doesn't get me into where i want to go?
Original post by Iospannera
I'm really conflicted over my choice of a-levels and i really want someone to just say it straight to me. Which of these 3 combos should i choose?
1) Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Psychology
2) Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Art
3) Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Art
Some background first: i hate maths with a passion, but i would probably be able to take the a-level to A2... I would just really not enjoy it. And at the moment i'm doing IGCSE maths and Ad-Maths, with predicted high grades (would this be enough instead of the a-level seeing as i'm going into medicine not maths?)
I'm really keen to get into Oxford/Imperial/Kings and after reading all the research about which subjects to take for them; they all say chemistry and one other science (biology/physics) or maths - but many of the applicants have taken chemistry, biology and maths. There aren't many people who haven't taken maths and got in. Would not taking maths really hinder my chances?
Number 3 choice would be my ideal and i would love every minute of the lessons; plus i would be able to achieve high grades in all of them. Do the top universities still look at subjects like psychology and art as "soft" choices. Loads of people/teachers say just do what you enjoy - but what if that doesn't get me into where i want to go?

You DO NOT need maths, unless you want to go to Cambridge. As long as you have chem and bio, the other choices don't really matter. Pick what you will enjoy and are most likely to get an A in.

Get the notion of 'top unis' out of your head. It really doesn't matter in Medicine. And psychology isn't a soft subject.
Reply 2
Do you need maths for medicine? No - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_Application_Myth_Busting

Is there a top medical school? No - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Which_medical_school_is_best

What A-Level subjects should you take? Check here (quote below) - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Forum_Guide_and_FAQs

What subjects do I need to take?
At GCSE you should aim to take a breadth of academic subjects. The subjects which are most important for medical school are Biology, Chemistry, Physics (or the Double Science award), Mathematics and English Language.

At AS Level you should aim to take Chemistry, Biology and two other academic subjects. You do not need Mathematics to study medicine. Further Maths is usually not counted as an additional qualification alongside Mathematics. It is not advisable to study more than the standard four subjects as this will put strain on your ability to study effectively, and there is currently absolutely no benefit in having studied more.

At A2 Level you should aim to drop one subject at AS, and carry on three. You should continue Chemistry, Biology and one other academic subject. Again, you do not need Mathematics to study medicine. There is no need for the third A2 to be in a science subject, however certain medical schools do have a requirement for three sciences. A significant proportion of medical schools accept a third non-science A2. A small minority of medical schools give a slight preference to applicants who have studied a third, contrasting (non-science) subject at A2. Do not study more than the standard three A2 - you will put strain on yourself and this may cause you to drop a grade and thus miss your medicine offer. There is no advantage to studying more than the standard three.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending