The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5460
Original post by Melancholy
Joan of Arc is my favourite saint. Who is yours?

I miss 'cholytrolling :daydreaming:

Mine massively varies depending on my mood and often my favourite for the day will be whoever's feast day it is.

Big fan of St Cuthbert though!
Been doing quite a bit of reading about the martyrs of England and Wales lately, so though it may not be pc for this thread (:mmm:) imma say also Edmund Campion. :awesome:

And then of course there's JPII and his beautiful theology of the body!
Original post by brent_
I admire her bravery in standing in her faith.

Reminds me of those Christians who did not renounce their faith and got their heads severed by the infamous terrorist group.

People thought she was a cross-dresser because she wore male uniform (any sort of armour was men's clothing back in those days).

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
St Teresa of Avila, followed by St Therese of Lisieux. But Joan of Arc is probably the next fave, due to the hearing voices thing :awesome:

I don't know those first two despite studying history. Do you not like any of the male saints like St Nick and St Andrew?

Original post by Aula
I miss 'cholytrolling :daydreaming:

Mine massively varies depending on my mood and often my favourite for the day will be whoever's feast day it is.

Big fan of St Cuthbert though!
Been doing quite a bit of reading about the martyrs of England and Wales lately, so though it may not be pc for this thread (:mmm:) imma say also Edmund Campion. :awesome:

And then of course there's JPII and his beautiful theology of the body!

I don't really like the modern saints like John Paul. Campion sounds quite Spanish. I did a google search tho.

Spoiler

St Cuthbert was a Geordie, and therefore I am a fan. Along with Bede (I think he's a saint).

I did my A Level history essay on Pope Innocent III. I dunno if he got canonised. He was an intelligent man.
I don't know those first two despite studying history. Do you not like any of the male saints like St Nick and St Andrew?

Hmm, interesting point - I don't think I have a fave male saint. The one that instantly pops to my mind is St Peter because he was a bit of a screw-up but Jesus still loved him very dearly anyway :tongue:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hmm, interesting point - I don't think I have a fave male saint. The one that instantly pops to my mind is St Peter because he was a bit of a screw-up but Jesus still loved him very dearly anyway :tongue:

I feel a bit annoyed that he changed his name from Simon to Peter, as if to say that Simon is an inadequate name. Though there was another Simon as a disciple - but we rarely hear from him :frown: (My name is Simon). Simon was a fisherman but became a "fisher of men".
(edited 8 years ago)
I feel a bit annoyed that he changed his name from Simon to Peter, as if to say that Simon is an inadequate name. Though there was another Simon as a disciple - but we rarely hear from him :frown: (My name is Simon). Simon was a fisherman but became a "fisher of men".

Awwww :console:
Reply 5465
Original post by Glenis.k
Hi everyone! :hi:
I'm Christian (Methodist/Charismatic) and for the first since I joined TSR I've come to the faith and spirituality forum. Looking forward to being a part of this team/family (If I'm welcome in that is) :biggrin:

:wavey:

Welcome! Of course you can be here :h:

I'm also a big St Teresa of Avila fan :yep: Aquinas, while sometimes mind-boggling, is also good :tongue:

Oh and Julian of Norwich :ninja:

The_Lonely_Goatherd
x

Y U NO SAY JULIAN?! :colonhash: :hmmm: :security:

:tongue:

:lovehug:

A www I'm sure there were other reasons for the name change.
Original post by Mazzini

Y U NO SAY JULIAN?! :colonhash: :hmmm: :security:

:tongue:

She is not a saint in Roman Catholicism :tongue:

Santa Muerte
Gotta like saint nick :wink:

But seriously, Saint Christopher (saint of travel?) Has been one I've always liked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scrappy-coco
Gotta like saint nick :wink:

But seriously, Saint Christopher (saint of travel?) Has been one I've always liked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I prefer Santa Muerte i only know like 5 saints or something St George St Peter St Nick St Paul and of course Santa Muerte oh and that Mother Theresa woman
Original post by DeathGuardElite
I prefer Santa Muerte i only know like 5 saints or something St George St Peter St Nick St Paul and of course Santa Muerte oh and that Mother Theresa woman

You know it's that bad I wouldn't even have thought to have remembered St. Peter and St. Paul who basically laid the Foundations of the church :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scrappy-coco
You know it's that bad I wouldn't even have thought to have remembered St. Peter and St. Paul who basically laid the Foundations of the church :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know of Saint George because when i was an Army Cadet i was a Fusilier and we have Saint George on our regimental cap badge killing a dragon.
oh and St john! St James! hmmmm are Jude and Simon saints?
Reply 5473
Santa muerte isn't a saint...
Original post by Aula
Santa muerte isn't a saint...

Folk saint still a saint.
Reply 5475
One becomes a saint by receiving God's Spirit, not be decision of others after you have done certain "miracles" or good works.

"Saints days" and "patron saints" are nothing to do with Jesus & his church, neither the practice of praying to saints.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5476
Original post by NJA
One becomes a saint by receiving God's Spirit, not be decision of others after you have done certain "miracles" or good works.

"Saints days" and "patron saints" are nothing to do with Jesus & his church, neither the practice of praying to saints.

Please remember that this is an ecumenical society :colonhash:
Reply 5477
Original post by Onde
John of the Cross seemed like quite a good "official" saint. Also John Henry Newman.

JHN :love:

Potentially one of my favourites of the recent church. He's only blessed though, not actually a saint yet :yep:
Original post by Aula
Please remember that this is an ecumenical society :colonhash:

I couldn't think of a response to what he said.
Glad you responded to him
Reply 5479
Original post by Onde
:tongue: ah, not yet a grade I saint?

Yes, I have a very strong opinion of him.

Nope, not had enough officially recognised miracles yet :tongue:

The Catholic Church has quite a strict criteria for making people official saints. (So obvs things like Santa muerte which are nothing more than folklore are not going to be saints - it's like saying that Bloody Mary is your favourite true murder story)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending