The Student Room Group

Acne

Hello. I'm 17 years old and have had acne since I was 11. I've tried duac once daily, zineryt, lymecycline and skineron. I have just been prescribed Dianette the birth control pill (co-cyprindiol). I've nearly finished my first 21 days and all I've noticed is that my acne is getting worse. I desperately want to get a referral but my GP says I have to try Dianette for 3 months but I know it won't work as my acne is severe and roaccutane is most probably needed. Can anyone tell me their experiences with the pill, and your roaccutane experience? What treatment has been effective for you?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MsBusy1998
Hello. I'm 17 years old and have had acne since I was 11. I've tried duac once daily, zineryt, lymecycline and skineron. I have just been prescribed Dianette the birth control pill (co-cyprindiol). I've nearly finished my first 21 days and all I've noticed is that my acne is getting worse. I desperately want to get a referral but my GP says I have to try Dianette for 3 months but I know it won't work as my acne is severe and roaccutane is most probably needed. Can anyone tell me their experiences with the pill, and your roaccutane experience? What treatment has been effective for you?

Thanks.

hey, i am in the same boat as you as i have bacne since i was about 11 and i am nearly 17 now. I was once perscribed some roll on thing that didn't help and just made me smell vaugly fishy. Have you tried some of those detoll soaps, they work quite well. I am just sort of waiting for it to clear up by itself as it has calmed down a bit more recently :smile:
Reply 2

Thanks.

try using natural methods. maybe look at olive oil, tea tree oil, aloe Vera, or manuka honey? I've heard that they are good for acne. the chemicals in the stuff you are using might make acne worse and face washes sometimes dry the skin, which aggravates acne and irritates skin.

Thanks.

Well thankfully I never suffered severe acne, jut an odd spot here and there but that's it.

But I learned to take precautions, prevention is better than cure.

So there has to be a reason for your acne.

Have any of parents or anyone in your family suffered from acne, apart from yourself?

What does your diet consist of, are you consuming large quantities of dairy products?

And do you have a skin care regime?
Reply 4
I went to my GP and said i'd tried loads of different types of topical and oral medication and he referred me to a dermatologist where I was prescribed accutane.

To be completey honest the 6 months when I was on accutane were some of the worst months of my life, I had to have a really large dose and it dried my skin out so badly and all of the small side effects accumulated and made me feel horrible. It made the acne on my back and chest so much worse and it didn't fully clear up until one month after the course. I've been left with scarring on my back and chest but I think if I hadn't taken accutane then I'd still have acne so I don't regret it, and I know that most peoples experiences on accutane aren't as bad as mine.

If your acne on your face or body or both?
Reply 5
I used to get bad acne. The pill does make it a lot better but your body needs to get used to it first. I also use Lush soap and moisturiser which I love, it's more natural and although the soap dries skin out a little, by following it with one of their moisturisers it makes it all soft as it isn't heavy or oily or anything. I can't really use other moisturisers anymore as my skin is really sensitive and with others it either burns/irritates and makes me more spotty. Really recommend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have naturally oily skin and was referred to derm for roaccutane and I read the information leaflet about side-effects etc and decided against it.

After that I started eating a really clean diet no processed or greasy foods and my skin was fine no scaring, no break-outs so long as I still to this like it's a religious requirement. I don't usually believe in conspiracies, but I genuinely believe that pharmaceutical companies downplay the effect of diet on skin so they can sell these drugs as if they're the only way to deal with this.
try drinking more water
What is your diet like? Sometimes if you're malnourished it can happen but it does generally go with age.
Reply 9
Original post by Alex621
I went to my GP and said i'd tried loads of different types of topical and oral medication and he referred me to a dermatologist where I was prescribed accutane.

To be completey honest the 6 months when I was on accutane were some of the worst months of my life, I had to have a really large dose and it dried my skin out so badly and all of the small side effects accumulated and made me feel horrible. It made the acne on my back and chest so much worse and it didn't fully clear up until one month after the course. I've been left with scarring on my back and chest but I think if I hadn't taken accutane then I'd still have acne so I don't regret it, and I know that most peoples experiences on accutane aren't as bad as mine.

If your acne on your face or body or both?

Thank you for your reply. I mostly get my acne on my face, although I use to get it pretty serious on my back and chest but that cleared up around 2/3 years ago and I just get the odd spot on my back. What side effects did you get?
Reply 10
Original post by Will98765
What is your diet like? Sometimes if you're malnourished it can happen but it does generally go with age.

I drink about 2 litres of water a day. Eat no excess sugar or chocolate. I aim for 5 fruit and veg. But I guess it's not completely balanced. :frown:
TBH I went on accutane back in February and I'm still on it now (taking a small dosage of 20mg). Experienced normal side effects of chapped lips, dry eyes (looked in the mirror after I woke up and my right eye had a really prominent blood vessle showing), dry skin. Nothing too severe. I don't get acne anymore, just left with scarring unfortunately. But my brother is 2 years older than me, and he had the option of taking accutane but went against it. He still has bad skin now, and I kinda feel sorry for him. The only thing I regret is not taking it earlier. Messed with my confidence big time.
Reply 12
Original post by Tom Jickleson
TBH I went on accutane back in February and I'm still on it now (taking a small dosage of 20mg). Experienced normal side effects of chapped lips, dry eyes (looked in the mirror after I woke up and my right eye had a really prominent blood vessle showing), dry skin. Nothing too severe. I don't get acne anymore, just left with scarring unfortunately. But my brother is 2 years older than me, and he had the option of taking accutane but went against it. He still has bad skin now, and I kinda feel sorry for him. The only thing I regret is not taking it earlier. Messed with my confidence big time.

I'm super convinced to go on it as my acne gets me so down and is only getting worse. I understand there's so much stigma attached though due to the side effects but I think I want to take the risk due to the mental effects I'm suffering due to acne
Reply 13
Original post by TheYearNiner
try drinking more water

I already drink 2 litres a day :frown: I constantly carry my water bottle with me
Reply 14
My acne seemed to just get worst whilst I used products to try to get rid. As soon as I stopped trying to get rid and worrying about it it went away.
Reply 15
Original post by KirstieW
I used to get bad acne. The pill does make it a lot better but your body needs to get used to it first. I also use Lush soap and moisturiser which I love, it's more natural and although the soap dries skin out a little, by following it with one of their moisturisers it makes it all soft as it isn't heavy or oily or anything. I can't really use other moisturisers anymore as my skin is really sensitive and with others it either burns/irritates and makes me more spotty. Really recommend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How long did it take to clear up your skin? Plus where did you get your acne? As I've got painful cystic acne on my cheeks so I personally don't think the pill is going to work for me :frown:
I have acne because I have polycystic ovary syndrome. I am trying hard to lose weight, but it keeps staying the same(unless I starve to death).
Reply 17
Original post by CoolCavy
hey, i am in the same boat as you as i have bacne since i was about 11 and i am nearly 17 now. I was once perscribed some roll on thing that didn't help and just made me smell vaugly fishy. Have you tried some of those detoll soaps, they work quite well. I am just sort of waiting for it to clear up by itself as it has calmed down a bit more recently :smile:

I can suggest using cetaphill, it's very gentle. Also try changing your shampoo, that helped with my bacne. But don't worry, we are in this together :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by 06sulraj
I have acne because I have polycystic ovary syndrome. I am trying hard to lose weight, but it keeps staying the same(unless I starve to death).

I may have that too. A few women in my family do and I seem to have the symptoms: e.g. Acne, excess hair growth, irregular periods :frown:
Reply 19
My acne has significantly improved since I found out the foods I was intolerant to, and cut them out of my diet.

I had a food intolerance test done, and found I was intolerant to bananas, casein (milk protein) and cocoa.

As soon as I stopped eating those foods, my skin improved by about 80%!

Try eliminating dairy (milk, cheese, chocolate, cream) first (many people have issues with it due to the pasteurization process and the inclusion of antibiotics, hormones and pus in wholesale dairy products) and see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't, do an elimination diet in which you eat only very basic, non-inflammatory foods (google them) and slowly add in more foods to see what you have a reaction to.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending