The Student Room Group

Greenhead College Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emilyrobinson100
For History, you can do Medieval or Modern, whichever you choose you have to do the opposite coursework, for example if you pick Medieval, in your A2 year you will have to do Modern coursework if you continue to study it. I have a really good History teacher, it's quite hard to pick up at first because of all the new words and topics but after 2 weeks it comes together really well and now I'm enjoying it quite alot. I would recommend taking it, I really like it! The sources can be challenging but all the same it's very interesting! If you do well at GCSE, you will do well at A-level. It's 25 mark questions, you just have to debate similar to the longer GCSE questions!

OK cheers- I'm really looking forward to it. Quite a lot of people from my current school go to Greenhead and they said they enjoyed it.

Are you put into sets?
Original post by ScienceFantatic
OK cheers- I'm really looking forward to it. Quite a lot of people from my current school go to Greenhead and they said they enjoyed it.

Are you put into sets?

Yes, its really good once you've settled in! No you aren't put into sets, all classes are mixed
Yes, its really good once you've settled in! No you aren't put into sets, all classes are mixed

:biggrin:. Good. I like being in mixed classes, at my current high school we're setted for nearly everything- so there's a lot of academic inter-school competition :tongue:
:biggrin:. Good. I like being in mixed classes, at my current high school we're setted for nearly everything- so there's a lot of academic inter-school competition :tongue:

Everyone there is keen to do well so there is no messing about, so mixed classes arent bad whereas at high school you tend to get people who don't want to work! It's a really good atmosphere, everyone works hard and you are trusted and treated like an adult! Yes it was always like that at my school! Haha.. It will all make sense once you're there anyway! I could explain about how your timetable works but it won't mean anything at the minute, your lessons are on blocks!
Everyone there is keen to do well so there is no messing about, so mixed classes arent bad whereas at high school you tend to get people who don't want to work! It's a really good atmosphere, everyone works hard and you are trusted and treated like an adult! Yes it was always like that at my school! Haha.. It will all make sense once you're there anyway! I could explain about how your timetable works but it won't mean anything at the minute, your lessons are on blocks!

Thanks for all your help haha. I can't wait for the open evening now :biggrin:
[QUOTE="ScienceFantatic;60010195"]Thanks for all your help haha. I can't wait for the open evening now :biggrin:[/QUOTE
I'm helping out on the day time one in November in Chemistry if you visit again!! Hope you enjoy it!!! It was so crowded at the first one last year!
[QUOTE="emilyrobinson100;60010227"]
Thanks for all your help haha. I can't wait for the open evening now :biggrin:[/QUOTE
I'm helping out on the day time one in November in Chemistry if you visit again!! Hope you enjoy it!!! It was so crowded at the first one last year!

Can't wait for Thursday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, anything extra-curricular will boost your application, all of those will help you very much! The more you do the better, they write it down on the sheet in your interview and its one of the things they ask about and focus on. They love it when you are a rounded person and do things outside of school!!

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
6A's and 2B's is definitely enough, so don't stress out. My friends did worse than that and got onto some good courses there. Greenhead will look at your mocks probably more than your targets, so if you got A*s in your mocks last year then I'm sure you'll be able to get A's and A*'s again! Besides, even with B and C grade mocks, people were offered places. We did our mocks in December and those were the grades they were interested in for us, I think most schools do them around November- January so you will have those grades in time for your application! I applied through UCAS and I had to enter my predictions onto there myself. Greenhead do put alot of emphasis on mocks but unless you go to a private school, even if you get B's you will be accepted. I went to a school in Wakefield, but people from Greenhead travel from all over. I sit next to people from 2 hours away in some lessons! Which subjects are you considering?

On the prospectus it says that there are about 450 places available to non-partner schools on a competitive basis...😶

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="emilyrobinson100;60010227"]
Thanks for all your help haha. I can't wait for the open evening now :biggrin:[/QUOTE

I'm coming to that one so I'll see you there :smile: Oh and congrats on your mock grades they were amazing. ^^
[QUOTE="_ariane29;60017769"]

I'm coming to that one so I'll see you there :smile: Oh and congrats on your mock grades they were amazing. ^^

Yes you will! and thank you, good luck in yours!
Don't worry about what it says, they actually let alot more than that in last year and in all fairness, it isn't that competitive. Also, dependant on how many of my year group drop out, they will let more AS students in to fill their places! Don't worry yourself!
Open evening was awesome and the teachers were so nice- can't wait to go lol. How did everyone find it?

@Himani Vadhia
@xGCSE_Studentx
Open evening was awesome and the teachers were so nice- can't wait to go lol. How did everyone find it?

@Himani Vadhia
@xGCSE_Studentx

Same! I really liked it. The staff and students were really open, mature and informative. Way better than other places!

Posted from TSR Mobile

@Himani Vadhia
@xGCSE_Studentx

It was honestly the best open evening ever! So friendly and the building was really nice ! Such a great evening I really want to go now lol how did yous find it?
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
It was honestly the best open evening ever! So friendly and the building was really nice ! Such a great evening I really want to go now lol how did yous find it?

Did you go to the chemistry, maths and biology departments?
Did you go to the chemistry, maths and biology departments?

Yah I went to all 3 which departments did you go?

Which departments did you guys go to? The head made the atmosphere to competitive- and you need an average of an A to do 4 A-levels. Are you guys gonna opt for 3 or 4?
Yah I went to all 3 which departments did you go?

Oh you replied before I had to sneakily delete it and direct it to the both of you :tongue:
Yes I did, you might have seen me, I was the black guy with a navy blue hoodie lol :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest