The Student Room Group

tan or pale?

Scroll to see replies

how, stop
Original post by yasaminO_o
if you like it, keep doing it.

wait what's he doing? :erm:
Original post by rat poison
We who? And where is the bullying? I'm asking a capable adult to explain his sentiments about a very controversial subject.

I was refering to many other users commenting on his sense of self-worth. It's nothing that we need to get involved with, it's his own business
wait what's he doing? :erm:

staying out of the sun, it's up to him
I was refering to many other users commenting on his sense of self-worth. It's nothing that we need to get involved with, it's his own business

the thread is only 3 pages and my conversation with him takes up almost 2 pages...
staying out of the sun, it's up to him

is he vampire? sounds kind of ridiculous but I don't expect someone with pale skin to understand why his concerns about his skin shade would be offensive. why are you positively reinforcing something like this?
I feel threatened that you are "obsessed" with skin color...you made the theead kid, what reaction were you expecting?

"Oh ok hate dark skin, that's fine!"
is he vampire? sounds kind of ridiculous but I don't expect someone with pale skin to understand why his concerns about his skin shade would be offensive. why are you positively reinforcing something like this?

No but I am a human, I have empathy. Of course he should be happy with his skin tone and of course he is, but if he doesn't want to get darker that's his choice. I don't condemn pale people who want to tan, so why should I condemn him?
:nah:
I don't condemn pale people who want to tan

For one please stop sensationalizing using words like "bullying" and "condemning." Sounds like stuff people do for reps.
Be genuine, me and you, use your brain and not your emotions (plus, this thread isn't that deep to "empathize" at all with anything?) so understand that being pale wanting to be tanner is not the same insecurity as being dark wanting to be pale. People all know, even you, that dark skin is "condemned" in many cultures, even those with millions of naturally dark people :rofl:

And people obsessed with tanning know tans are exotic but also it accentuates muscles and curves and can have a healthy glow.

However, people who tan a lot are at risk of skin cancer so if anything both people not happy with their skin tones should be "condemned."

I am concerned about OP because he said himself that Asians do not like dark skin and are obsessed with pale skin. It's sad. Have 'empathy' for that.
For one please stop sensationalizing using words like "bullying" and "condemning." Sounds like stuff people do for reps.
Be genuine, me and you, use your brain and not your emotions (plus, this thread isn't that deep to "empathize" at all with anything?) so understand that being pale wanting to be tanner is not the same insecurity as being dark wanting to be pale. People all know, even you, that dark skin is "condemned" in many cultures, even those with millions of naturally dark people :rofl:

And people obsessed with tanning know tans are exotic but also it accentuates muscles and curves and can have a healthy glow.

However, people who tan a lot are at risk of skin cancer so if anything both people not happy with their skin tones should be "condemned."

I am concerned about OP because he said himself that Asians do not like dark skin and are obsessed with pale skin. It's sad. Have 'empathy' for that.

I'm not suggesting he should be unhappy with his skin tone because Asian's don't like dark skin, he should do what he finds beautiful. It's his body. And I empathise because he feels threatened by some of these accusatory comments, not because he wants to be paler omg chill
I'm not suggesting he should be unhappy with his skin tone because Asian's don't like dark skin, he should do what he finds beautiful. It's his body. And I empathise because he feels threatened by some of these accusatory comments, not because he wants to be paler omg chill

I'm not caring about him, he's already pale. I was asking him in the beginning about a Chinese saying about pale skin that I posted--but you gave him a ****ing back door to run out of with this "bullying" garbage. Now he's found an excuse to play the victim and clearly forfeited participating in his own thread like an adult :rolleyes:. All I wanted was instead of asking google, ask an actual Asian about a racist saying in his culture. Idc about him per se. So I'm not accusing/attacking him. I would be if he was dark saying the same thing though.
I'm not caring about him, he's already pale. I was asking him in the beginning about a Chinese saying about pale skin that I posted--but you gave him a ****ing back door to run out of with this "bullying" garbage. Now he's found an excuse to play the victim and clearly forfeited participating in his own thread like an adult :rolleyes:. All I wanted was instead of asking google, ask an actual Asian about a racist saying in his culture. Idc about him per se. So I'm not accusing/attacking him. I would be if he was dark saying the same thing though.

I said "many other" comments, never said it was from you...
I said "many other" comments, never said it was from you...

I have no idea what you're talking about. I am not even talking about you referring to anything I said??? I am talking about you letting him play the victim. I don't see any bullying on this thread. Stop infantilizing a grown man who made the thread himself.
I have no idea what you're talking about. I am not even talking about you referring to anything I said??? I am talking about you letting him play the victim. I don't see any bullying on this thread. Stop infantilizing a grown man who made the thread himself.

Sorry I was just trying to be nice lol
Sorry I was just trying to be nice lol

I know you were and it's annoying. There was no need to white knight for the dude. I just asked him a question about a Chinese saying and he keeps equivocating and now he's just plain jumped ship because he's a victim now apparently.
Grow up child. You can post this but not answer an intellectual question about your own culture?
I feel bad.
You wiped your tears yet, young man?
Anyway the question was, what is the history behind "bai fu mei, gao fu shuai?"
So why are you purporting to know everything about Chinese culture then, child?
Did you choose or do you naturally have pale skin? And that may be so but are you denying that there are naturally dark East Asians?

Quick Reply

Latest