The Student Room Group

Why do so many people lease flash cars now?

Why do so many people lease flash cars now?

So apparently between 60-80% of all "luxury" cars are now leased. Why do so many people lease? even ones on very modest salaries?

Considering the times we live in, shouldn't people be living within their means? Even people my age leasing new cars before getting on the property ladder!

Bill

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2

it's like a total waste, you have nothing to show for it!
Reply 3
Original post by Bill_Gates
it's like a total waste, you have nothing to show for it!

i dont know what to tell ya Bill
That's such poor person behaviour.

(more lower middle class tbh)
They want to act like they're rich
Hiring cars that they can't have with money they also lack
The lease often costs less than the depreciation of the owned asset would :dontknow:
Reply 7
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
That's such poor person behaviour.

(more lower middle class tbh)

60-80% of ALL luxury cars are leased, if you want to sell that many cars it's not just the middle class. Working class is playing their part. I know people still living with their parents with brand new mercs on their modest drives lol.
60-80% of ALL luxury cars are leased, if you want to sell that many cars it's not just the middle class. Working class is playing their part. I know people still living with their parents with brand new mercs on their modest drives lol.

Even if you're earning 40k pa, that is not a reason to drive a luxury car, I'm not being snobbish this is pragmatism.
As I've discussed in another thread, I lease my car; it's only a Ford Fiesta Titanium but it's a lovely car to drive and I've got piece of mind from it being brand new that it's not falling apart inside. If you're going for a new car, you'd be a fool to spend full whack IMO - it's not like a house, it depreciates in value as soon as you drive it away and it's much more likely to be severely damaged.

Might as well get a just-add-fuel type lease, pay a set fee per month, and while you don't get to keep the car at the end of the lease, everything you get included (literally everything apart from petrol and minor repairs) is normally worth the price of the lease on its own, and you're also not financially invested in the car. If you've just paid a huge lump sum out for a car and then you go and crash it, you'll have a hard time trying to get your insurers to pay out anywhere near the actual amount that the car is worth, whereas with these type of leases if the car is written off or stolen you'll get a brand new replacement. I pay 200 a month all-in for my Fiesta Titanium - it's brand new, all the gadgets, insurance, tax, MOT, breakdown cover, new tyres when necessary, annual servicing, major repairs, the lot. I'm happy with what I'm getting for my money, whereas there's no way in hell I'd go and buy one and then still spend quite a lot insuring it, keeping it taxed and MOTd and maintained, and by the time the car has depreciated in value per year of having it if it was new, I'd be losing out on more money that I'm paying out for the lease alone.

I'm never one to live beyond my means, I don't do catalogues and loans and stuff, don't need to because I've been wise with my money and have savings should I get into a pinch... but leasing > buying is an absolute no brainer for me, lease all the way unless you're going for an older car that you might need to put some TLC into.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
Even if you're earning 40k pa, that is not a reason to drive a luxury car, I'm not being snobbish this is pragmatism.

Well income is all relative. If someone has paid off their house, has a couple of investments and is making 40k per year then why not. I have seen pensioners take out brand new cars - they're not making no where near 40k but fair play to them. They worked for it.
Original post by WoodyMKC
As I've discussed in another thread, I lease my car; it's only a Ford Fiesta Titanium but it's a lovely car to drive and I've got piece of mind from it being brand new that it's not falling apart inside. If you're going for a new car, you'd be a fool to spend full whack IMO - it's not like a house, it depreciates in value as soon as you drive it away and it's much more likely to be severely damaged.

Might as well get a just-add-fuel type lease, pay a set fee per month, and while you don't get to keep the car at the end of the lease, everything you get included (literally everything apart from petrol and minor repairs) is normally worth the price of the lease on its own, and you're also not financially invested in the car. If you've just paid a huge lump sum out for a car and then you go and crash it, you'll have a hard time trying to get your insurers to pay out anywhere near the actual amount that the car is worth, whereas with these type of leases if the car is written off or stolen you'll get a brand new replacement. I pay 200 a month all-in for my Fiesta Titanium - it's brand new, all the gadgets, insurance, tax, MOT, breakdown cover, new tyres when necessary, annual servicing, major repairs, the lot. I'm happy with what I'm getting for my money, whereas there's no way in hell I'd go and buy one and then still spend quite a lot insuring it, keeping it taxed and MOTd and maintained.

This is for luxury vehicles though. You'd be better off buying a relatively older model with cash.
They aspire to be like awesome genius
This is for luxury vehicles though. You'd be better off buying a relatively older model with cash.

Or you could lease a newer model, have a new car rather than a used one, not spend any more money overall, and not tie up capital in pretty much the worst investment imaginable.

Let's be honest, you're just looking for reasons to feel superior ITT.
it's the young, property less, poorly paid, living with mum and dad i have a problem with.
Luxury cars lose value more slowly than your average car so the leasing is almost as cheap!
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Or you could lease a newer model, have a new car rather than a used one, not spend any more money overall, and not tie up capital in pretty much the worst investment imaginable.

Let's be honest, you're just looking for reasons to feel superior ITT.

Let's be honest, you're just looking for reasons to feel superior ITT

i think that would apply to them not me? LOL
between 60-80% of all "luxury" cars are now leased

whos fat ass did you pull that figure out of. was it your own? thought so
Original post by sandvika
whos fat ass did you pull that figure out of. was it your own? thought so

My BMI is very healthy thanks. I see you have a picture of some chav wheel, please stay in your class.

Let's be honest, you're just looking for reasons to feel superior ITT

i think that would apply to them not me? LOL

No, it would apply to you. You have a habit of posing in threads as some kind of uniquely enlightened subversive intellectual. Honestly, you're not. You're just another guy.

Quick Reply

Latest